partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 08:19:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116515 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Competitions (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  The only couple on the floor....
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The only couple on the floor....  (Read 776 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: October 03, 2010, 04:42:16 AM »

Ever have to do a competition where you are not only the only couple in your heat but also the only couple on the floor?  Happened to us last night.  It was so interesting because the dynamic shifted from between us through the other couples to the judges, to us directly to the audience.  I danced for the spectators totally - really for my first time.

[I decided to put the rest of this story, and what it means to me, in my blog...
http://partnerdanceonline.com/index.php?topic=576.new#new ]
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 04:54:41 AM by elisedance » Logged

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 06:07:08 AM »

I usually dislike being the only couple on the floor. Sure, we can relax, but everyone will be looking at us, so we're usually more scared to stuff up. It happens a fair bit at smaller comps, so we've gotten used to it, but because we're still low-level, there's this massive overpowering feeling that at least 3/4 of the audience is silently noting what we can improve on.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 06:26:32 AM »

I usually dislike being the only couple on the floor. Sure, we can relax, but everyone will be looking at us, so we're usually more scared to stuff up. It happens a fair bit at smaller comps, so we've gotten used to it, but because we're still low-level, there's this massive overpowering feeling that at least 3/4 of the audience is silently noting what we can improve on.

Well, put yourself in the other position - watching a beginning couple who are on the floor by themselves.  Is that what you think about?  I hope not - most people look to see what you do well, not badly (which is opposite, I fear, from what most judges do Undecided ).  You spectate to enjoy, not destroy.

If thats the case then the same is happening when you are out there.  That step is such an important one since if you are anything like me at all, there is great sustenance to be gained from the audience...

standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 03:35:22 PM »

Just relax and having fun!!! treat it as a show dance, it's fun

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 09:22:58 PM »

I was part of that audience watching your showcase dance  that night ED.  Well done !
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 10:59:23 PM »

yes we have been only only couple of the floor many times even when we were newbies. but I thought to myself people will be looking at you if there is more than one, and I have seen so many youngster do it so if they are brave enough then so can I. Now i dont care like others have said treat it like a show case and enjoy the time Tongue

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 08:12:29 AM »

Yep! If the kiddies can do it, so can we!  Tongue
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 09:48:16 AM »

Yep! If the kiddies can do it, so can we!  Tongue
The kiddies don't seem to notice!  I think its harder for us, the expectations are higher...

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 03:41:37 PM »

Our very first competition we were the only ones in Pre-Bronze standard.  We went out on the floor with at least 200 people watching us.  I didn't mind at all but was surprised when people started clapping and calling our number out.  I thought another couple must have come out with us and I hadn't noticed as why would they be yelling our number out if we were the only ones.  Of course some time later I realized that they were trying to be encouraging and give us support being we were out on this huge floor alone and it was our first time out.  Since this time we have been the only ones on the floor a couple of times more but in latin.  We knew that no matter what we did it didn't matter so we really went for it and decided to put on a show.  We had a great time and it was probably the best we ever danced.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 04:23:41 AM »

I am happy to be out on the floor if I am on my own or in a group....I take what I can get

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: