partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 04:36:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116515 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  About us and Welcome
| |-+  Announcements
| | |-+  PDO use guide
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: PDO use guide  (Read 1954 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: April 17, 2009, 09:11:16 AM »

PDO Mission
We pledge to be as open, direct and fair on this forum as we can be with the goal of providing information and also a relaxed place to meet, greet and interact with the dance community as far as we are able (see the sign-on statement).

Identities.
A PDO member asked about using double or multiple identities on the forum.  In fact, if you create two identities using different email addresses and computers there is no way for a us to know for sure - beyond recognizing similarities in your posts.  [On the other hand, you could slip and use the wrong one  , which could be the source of considerable amusement]

Thus, you are free to make multiple personalities if you so choose but our preference is that you do not.  However, if it is essential (for example, to permit you to share information in one guise while expressing personal opinions in another – as might be the case for a person that wishes to both represent an official organization or a business and also participate privately) then please limit it to two.  This guide only applies to PDO – identities you have on other forums are entirely your own business.

We do pledge, however, that no administrator or moderator is allowed multiple sign-on names.  IMO to do so is a break of trust since a second identity might give the impression that the forum administration is spying on its members.  On occasion an admin may have to make a temporary identity to test the software (although we can access everything we can not ‘see’ the forum through your eyes without signing on as a regular member or guest).  However, these will only be short term ‘members’ and will be clearly identified by the signon name, such as ‘TEMP’ or ‘TEST’.

Posting on PDO.
We want to maintain a friendly and open atmosphere where people can inform and express their views without fear of intimidation or invasion of privacy.  Succeeding in these (sometimes contradictory) goals relies mostly on good attitudes, tolerance and a healthy dose of common sense.  Here we fortify your instincts with a few extra suggestions ?

Your first post: Put it in the newcomer area where you are virtually guaranteed a reply.  Tell us a bit about yourself – most important what your connection is to partner-dancing – and issues such as dance style, whether you have partner or compete etc.  You will then get to know a few of our residents and get pointers on forum content and forum use.

DO go to the home page and click on the different buttons.  The forum is divided into several categories (with borders) each of which  contain one or more primary boards.  These are the main subject areas.  Note that when it comes to discussion of dance itself we have two main areas – one devoted to the Partner Dance itself and the other to Dancesport (competitive dancing).  We also have a very active General Discussion area.  This is something of a grab bag for lots of other things.  There are boards indirectly related to dance (such as injuries and mental preparation)  and ones that are totally community based such as pastimes and just plain chatting. 

For content, read what others are posting – note the ‘spirit’, the length and the subject.  We do not want to suppress creativity here so, yes, gentle gibes, word games harmless tricks are not going to get you into trouble.  The filter here wil be the spirit of the post – were you trying to be funny or satirical – or hurtful or cynical.  Use your best judgement.

Editing
For gross problems we will edit without hesitation (e.g. racial slurs, intentional forum sabotage).  However, in most cases (such as moving a thread) we will try to contact you first to explain why the change is being made and afford you a chance to argue a different case.  If there is no reply (I do not wait long for this) the edit will be performed but a tracer will remain.  Please do contact me if you have any issues.  However, we have to have a rule that the final decision will be that of the forum staff.

Privacy
This is very important to our members.  The safest thing to do is to talk about yourself.  When you reply to someone phrase it as how the issue affects you and then ask how it affects the general community.  Except where absolutely essential occasions (you may be replying to a very radical suggestion) don’t  mention the original poster at all.  The connection is then by inference and not by criticism and can easily be disavowed.

We have had a conversation about whether we can mention dancers by name on the forum.  It would be a boring place indeed if we can not use any names.  This is, in my opinion, in any case overkill since much of this information is available in on line.  We have established four principals for this.
1. Any information must have been posted previously in a reputable location.  The emphasis is on reputable.  Unverified gossip will not be tolerated, even if it was posted on a pseudo official internet site.  The source of the information must be cited.
2. Information must be with a positive spirit.  Note disappointment that a couple did not do better is still positive post whereas expressions of pleasure that they did not is bnot.
3. For amateur (AM-AM and pro-AM) competitor results in particular the result must be readily acceptable on the web.  Certain sites are acceptable  - including the competition results site, official governing dancesport sites, IDSF and dancesportinfo.  However, others, including other forums, personal communication (other than by a PDO regular member) and unofficial web sites are not. 

One more important issue.  We would very much like the official bodies that govern the dance sport community – Governing bodies, judges, competition organizers - to participate in our forum and to use it both as a source of information and place to test new ideas.  We must treat such communications with the respect and regard that they deserve.  This is NOT the time to raise your pet peeve or to lambaste an official that you have issues with.  The point is to deal to only with the issue at hand and to afford these representatives all the regard and respect that you would your own friends.  Note that such organizations will either use a group sign-on name or will have a designated representative register.  As for the above please do NOT break this confidence. 

I should add that we expect these bodies and individuals to also respect the privacy of our members and to treat this forum as a ‘safe haven’ and not use any information gleaned here as fuel for arguments outside the forum.

Controversial issues.
We believe strongly in freedom of speech.  The problem with this is, of course, that one person’s freedom can be an infringement on anothers.  To deal with this we have created two boards dedicated to strong opinions.  The idea is that you can avoid these if you choose – that means that these opinions will not pop up when you have innocently expressed a personal view on another board.  The two boards are ‘Politics and social commentary’ and the grab-bag ‘Radical ideas’.  Here the admin will exercise an absolute right to transfer your post into one or other of these areas.  While this does in essence quarantine such ideas it achieves two goals – it protects those that do not want to partake in the discussion while preserving the freedom of speech principle.  If your post is transferred please do not take offence – take pride that you are likely to get feedback from the people with the strongest opinions in the area (some really like such discussion).  I hope you agree that this is a good compromise between mayhem and censorship.

A work in progress
I have set the forum up with the above working plan and was not easy to conceive – however, it is not written in stone.  If you see a way to improve this or have additional ideas that we should share please do drop me a line – I am particularly interested in issues that have affected you.

What admins can see.
In the interest of openness you need to be aware exactly what is visible to the admins on your account.  We can see everything to do with yours sign on – your email and the IP address of your account holder.  The email address generally reveals information about your identity and location .  The IP address tells us where you are signing on and can be searched on line.  This information is private and will not be revealed to anyone (barring of course a court order, as is true for all such service).  Consistene with this, our PDO communication to you will be to the sign-on name and not your personal identity.

What admins can not see.
The IP addresses generally trace back to service providers but if you are connected directly to the internet they will trace back to your server.  In my case my IP is with Rogers internet and traces back to a location in Toronto. 

Most important PDO staff can not see your persona messages  to each other so go ahead and tell others what you think of me, I will not know unless you accidentally copy the message to me ?. 

Overview
We hope the above serves to give you confidence that we are making every effort to provide you with an open forum, with freedom of speech and yet with respect for other members and a regard for privacy.  Obviously we can not guarantee that errors will not be made but we will be vigilant to avoid them and will respond in a timely manner to any issues that you may have.

ee
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 11:43:12 AM by elisedance » Logged

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 04:08:01 AM »

a) Attach to a post
Edit your photo:
first, store it as a JPEG.
reduce its resolution so that it is less than 125K total size (its not much but its enough..)

Then post a reply (it has to be a reply or from a 'preview') and hit Additional Options (bottom left).  There you see the attach with its browse button.  Select your file and hit return.  

Then 'Post'

b) Link to a photo elsewhere on the web
For this hit the button above thats under the italic button and over Smiley and Cheesy  above.  
paste the full address of your photo (http://etc...)between the [img-]http://right here[/img]
and hit post

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 11:23:17 PM »

However, these will only be short term ‘members’ and will be clearly identified by the signon name, such as ‘TEMP’ or ‘TEST’.

Just so everyone knows, there is an account called "forumtest" that I occasionally use to check out software functions.  The purpose of this is to be an account without administrator privileges, so that I can check things out from the regular user's perspective and make sure things that aren't supposed to require special access privileges are working.  Generally I keep a ban on this account, and only enable it when I need to use it for something.
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 09:42:33 PM »

Addendum to the user guide: We have imposed some restrictions on newcomer members, meaning those with less than 6 posts.  We have had to do this due to the recent spate of spammers who clutter up their user profiles with links to spam sites, for the purpose of tricking Google into ranking their sites higher.  So as of now, users with fewer than 6 posts will be unable to:

* Edit their user profiles
* Upload avatars or attachments
* Create polls
* Create calendar entries

Please understand that we have had to do this to avoid the site being abused by spammers.  6 posts is really a pretty low barrier for legitimate users.  So if you are a new user, get posting!
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 10:17:05 PM »

I'll add also that to the welcome letter C so that all new (legit) users will be aware of the new stepping stone.
ee

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 03:27:27 AM »

This was triggered by Samina's question:

quote author=elisedance link=topic=100.msg65450#msg65450 date=1264839949]
grrr... can't find the hello/goodbye/goodnight thread, or whatever it's called.

ah well... night all! (for now, maybe, loz). Smiley

I suggest you get to know the home page - I think its pretty well organized.  In essence there are four sections that you can see: Announcements which includes tips on how to use PDO; partnerdancing, which is divided into general dance, dancesport and specific dance forms; Whats on your mind which is really discussions about everything non-dance; and events and ads.

the 'Whats on your mind' is the largest catagory with its largest divisions 'general discussions' and 'pastimes and chatter'.  The largest topic board is the 'chat' one in the latter - if you open either this or the 'funstuffs' board you will see most of the very frequently accessed boards.

The way I get round mostly though is to use both the 'unread posts since last visit' which has the most active topics and when I have exhausted that I click on the 'show new replies to your posts'.

Seeing these two does depend, however, on the format you have chosen for the forum (BTW you can choose your own in forum settings).  I noticed that they are hard to find on the older formats (such as the current default for the bloggy spot) - which is one reason I picked the default one for the main forum.
[/quote]

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: