partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 03:01:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Odd and peculiar partners
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Odd and peculiar partners  (Read 1467 times)
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« on: August 13, 2010, 02:11:26 PM »

Here's a thread for discussing partners whose dancing has peculiar or unusual characteristics.  Not that we don't love them; some of them may be among our favorite partners, but their dancing is... strange in some aspects. 

There's one lady at our studio who apparently cannot hear the rhythm in a waltz or foxtrot: she moves in these dances by taking many small steps, as many as she needs to get to wherever she's being led.  And she'll take every step on the toe, and then come down on the heel, so it's kind of like dancing with a pogo stick.  You can't worry about being on the beat when dancing with these dances with her, because it just isn't going to happen.  But do a tango with her -- and she nails the rhythm!  Perfectly.  Her timing in tango is probably better than mine.   Shocked
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 05:11:56 PM »

[just a little note of caution: better be nice and obtuse - people may recognize themselves]

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 11:26:32 PM »

most of the social dances cannot chasse waltz. they enter into it at the wrong timing.... but it is always nice when you come across someone who can Cheesy

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 07:02:17 AM »

I was gonna say, my partner is very odd, but then that's not what the thread is about.

Umm...couple of leaders around here who dance with themselves a lot. And not in a good way.

Also, a lot try to imitate the look of comp dancers, and often get it horribly wrong and end up making it entirely uncomfortable for the partners.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 07:58:08 AM »

Apparently I do certain things very oddly, but it makes the lady feel nice. So is that a compliment or ... ?  Tongue
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 08:03:04 AM »

Apparently I do certain things very oddly, but it makes the lady feel nice. So is that a compliment or ... ?  Tongue
well, thats what matters.
[we are talking about dancing right - not that that negates anything Roll Eyes ]

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 08:04:28 AM »

well, thats what matters.
[we are talking about dancing right - not that that negates anything Roll Eyes ]

Hahaha yes, dancing!  Tongue
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 05:38:02 AM »

i hum while dancing...

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 05:53:49 AM »

i hum while dancing...

I do that and also sing while I dance.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 06:33:23 AM »

I open my mouth Undecided

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 07:02:47 AM »

I open my mouth Undecided

miming?

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 08:56:36 AM »

No - and not catching flies (too Wink ), nor gasping for breath nor drooling.  Just seems to feel right.

Burgess Penguin
Bronze

Quack Quack Quack Quack

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 09:20:26 AM »

I've danced with one pro several times who sings (quite nicely I might add) while dancing, and has some of the most hilarious facial expressions sometimes, she's a LOT of fun  Smiley

Dancing - The BEST exercise in the world and A LOT prettier than going to the gym, and CHEAPER than a therapist!

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 11:11:35 PM »

I used to sing in the competitions though quietly.  A few of the judges asked me one time if I was helping to tell my partner the choreography.  II told them that if you see my lips move I'm singing, if you don't see my lips move, I'm helping him to remember the choreography.  After that I tried not to sing anymore so they wouldn't get the wrong idea.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 04:52:10 PM »

I WISHI had a partner to say things about. =)

As far as myself, I apologize with whomever I am dancing with ALL THE TIME. and talk. Sigh .... it is a nervousness on my part unfortunately.

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: