partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 01:36:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Why do you not compete?
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Why do you not compete?  (Read 1455 times)
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« on: July 30, 2010, 12:09:28 PM »

Since we have a "why do you compete" thread, I thought I'd add this one to get the other side of the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 01:09:30 PM »

I guess I have to be quiet here, least for now Tongue

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 01:54:45 AM »

I dont compete at the moment because of injury.....will be interesting to hear from some who choose not too. but i would guess that some considerations would be cost, time and the pressure that is put on by yourself or others.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 06:35:41 AM »

At the moment...other stresses and wanting to focus on school.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 07:33:52 PM »

its a lesson - unless you want to make dance your career (not easy) then your career determines how much you can actually dance ...

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 08:56:25 PM »

its a lesson - unless you want to make dance your career (not easy) then your career determines how much you can actually dance ...

Yes. you see those that are passionate about their chosen interest, be it viloin......piano, dance.....horse riding. they eat breath and sleep it.....and still do well at school, they are most disciplined....I often wonder if they can maitain that thrughout their lives.....but I do admire them

Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 09:10:40 PM »

Hmm.  There's nobody in this thread who actually doesn't compete ...or at least there wasn't until now.

Because individual competition is not how I am wired. (Team competition maybe, but I've rarely found anything like that in the pro-am, adult dance world.)   Competing gives me no emotional payoff and it costs tons more than showcases, which I actually like.   I couldn't care less how my dancing compares to anybody else's.  I only care how it compares to mine,and I don't need a comp to tell me that.  *shrug*

To each his/her own.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 10:02:36 PM »

I don't compete... not now anyhow

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 06:21:44 AM »

Hmm.  I read this thread as going after understanding the psychology of people who don't want to compete, rather than getting explanations from competitors who are on hiatus for some reason.

Maybe I misread things ...

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 11:05:09 PM »

I believe you are right but having a break is also a reason for not competing. but still always good to hear why people dont.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 05:42:04 AM »

Hmm.  I read this thread as going after understanding the psychology of people who don't want to compete, rather than getting explanations from competitors who are on hiatus for some reason.

Maybe I misread things ...
It is, and I am Undecided

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 08:20:30 PM »

Well.  Chiming in from the peanut gallery to represent those who choose non-competitive dance, I suppose I'll say a few things.  I have tried (fairly low level) pro-am competitive dance and did not enjoy it.  At all. I am just not wired to compete one-on-one against other people.  My dancing is about two things.  One: goal oriented achievement.  Two: fun.

One: I'm pretty self motivated, so setting dance goals just kind of comes naturally.  Also , there are others avenues through which I can get external motivation to improve my dance, such as formations and showcases.

Two: there's nothing about a dance comp that I find fun (other than spectating  Grin )    I lie.  I like the performance aspect of it.  But the randomness of being compared to whoever else happened to sign up is like trying to hit a moving target. Besides.  I don't really care about how my dancing compares to anyone else's. I care about how it compares to what my dancing used to be.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 09:39:45 PM »

yes, but that comparison is not available so you try to get an idea by competing against the random field.  Actually, its not usuallyrandom at all as most comps are local so you have the same couples competing.  I loved that aspect, sometimes we'd win sometimes they would...

I miss AM!

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 02:39:19 AM »

well as someone who does compete I don't find it alien at all and really enjoy the entertaining aspect of competing. It is a show and I like to give the public  a good show. But grant that is not for everyone. Just like other areas of life we are all different and that is a good thing Cheesy

Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 08:35:34 AM »

yes, but that comparison is not available so you try to get an idea by competing against the random field.  Actually, its not usuallyrandom at all as most comps are local so you have the same couples competing.  I loved that aspect, sometimes we'd win sometimes they would...

I miss AM!

That's why I like ttd's suggestion (oops.  Was it ttd or Q?) of making videos of oneself doing the same choreography at some interval, months or years apart.  Then you would be able to see your progress by comparing yourself to yourself, side by side.

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: