partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 11:11:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Music (Moderators: Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  The Grand Music Thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: The Grand Music Thread  (Read 6350 times)
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 09:32:42 AM »

I agree, and I want to add that this is the case in all styles.

My partner often reminds me of the fact that when we hear a beautiful song that many people love to hear, sung in a foreign language, when  translated can deal with something banal as pealing potato or hanging out the washing.

I believe she has a very valid point.

Dancing with the feet is one thing, but dancing with the heart is another.
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 10:34:58 AM »

oh yes  I just love the song about peeling potatoes and hanging out the washing

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 10:36:14 AM »

My partner often reminds me of the fact that when we hear a beautiful song that many people love to hear, sung in a foreign language, when  translated can deal with something banal as pealing potato or hanging out the washing.

Sort of the opposite of that: back in the early '60s, there was a song sung by a Japanese singer named Kyu Sakamoto that was released in North America and Europe under the name "Sukiyaki".  The transliteration of the Japanese title is "Ue o miuite aruko", which means "I Will Walk Facing Up".  When Capital Records released the song in the U.S., they decided that the Japanese title was too hard for English speakers to remember, so they randomly picked the word "Sukiyaki" as a word that was recognizably Japanese and easier to remember.  Of course, if you consider what sukiyaki actually is, then as the Wikipedia entry on the song points it, it's analagous to releasing "Moon River" in Japan under the title "Beef Stew".   Roll Eyes  Nonetheless, "Sukiyaki" became the only Japanese-language song ever to become a #1 hit on the U.S. Billboard Top 100, in 1963.  

"Sukiyaki"s translated lyrics are actually quite poetic in English, but they don't fit the meter of the song well.  A Taste of Honey did a cover of the song in 1981 with newly written English lyrics, and this seems to have become the accepted version in English-speaking countries.  The English lyrics are good, but they don't quite capture the same sense of melancholy as the Japanese lyrics.  (On topic: The song would be good for a somewhat off-style foxtrot.)

Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 08:38:50 PM »

So true

I have been born and raised in Europe, speak 5 languages and love poetry, music and dance. It has always astounded me to hear translations from German, French, Dutch, Spanish songs, movies etc. into English or vice versa.

I remember that Japanese song, it was a hit in Europe too, never heard the translation and feel that I have to be thankful for that.

There is beauty in all languages and often translating a piece of text into another language just doesn't cover its passions/emotions.

The Germans have a musical style which is called schlager, the Dutch have their smartlap the French their chansons etc. translating from germanic into romanic is often a undesirable effort

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 07:40:35 AM »

"The band also mines the past for hidden gems, including the Japanese-language track “Taya Tan,” a hypnotically precise reworking (with a hint of early seventies Japanese film noir) of the Japanese Saori Yuki hit."

Pink Martini ref album" Hey Eugene"

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2009, 06:59:25 PM »

I thought it was something to do with natives who were living on sour figs.

Gee, this one has a tang....oops I gotta go - that gradually got shortened to tangoopgo and then tango. - oh, never mind....

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2009, 12:41:34 AM »

Gee, this one has a tang....oops I gotta go - that gradually got shortened to tangoopgo and then tango. - oh, never mind....
Tango (the dance with the stop "Baille Con Carte") is one of the most fascinating of all dances. Originating in Spain (flamenco) or Morocco (Moors, Berbers, zambra, flamenco), the Tango was introduced to the New World by the Spanish settlers, eventually coming back to Spain with Black and Creole influences.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 12:45:29 AM by Vagabond » Logged

Burgess Penguin
Bronze

Quack Quack Quack Quack

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2009, 12:08:16 PM »

CHA-CHA:

The Sinister Minister by Bela Fleck & the Flecktones

Twilight World by Swing Out Sister

H-Gang by Donald Fagen

Do It Again by Steely Dan

HUSTLE:

Big Boat and Tangerine by Ananda Project

Sweet Tears by Roy Ayers

Magic Bird of Fire by Salsoul Orchestra

Out Come The Freaks and Tell Me That I'm Dreaming by Was Not Was

TWO-STEP

With a Gun by Steely Dan

WCS

Chain Lightning by Steely Dan

Pretzel Logic by Steely Dan

Dancing - The BEST exercise in the world and A LOT prettier than going to the gym, and CHEAPER than a therapist!

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 06:39:08 AM »

Tango (the dance with the stop "Baille Con Carte") is one of the most fascinating of all dances. Originating in Spain (flamenco) or Morocco (Moors, Berbers, zambra, flamenco), the Tango was introduced to the New World by the Spanish settlers, eventually coming back to Spain with Black and Creole influences.

No Tango was a Welsh folk dance brought over by Patagonian settlers where Welsh is still spoken. Tan = Fire and "go" is an abbrevaition of coch = red, hence tango = "Red Fire"

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2009, 07:59:50 AM »

Serenade to spring - Secret Garden
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2009, 09:51:26 AM »

Yumeji's Theme from In The Mood For Love by Galliano

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2009, 07:45:06 PM »

Most songs from Frank Sinatra are really nice foxtrots.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2009, 05:38:43 PM »

My DP hates sinartra as he does not sing on beat.  I find him rather contrived - except (like Elvis) for his really early recordings before he was processed for the market I suppose...

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2009, 09:57:50 PM »

Do most singers sing on the beat?
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2009, 11:10:41 PM »

I tihnk so.  Unless they are doing jazz....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: