partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 09:00:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Pro-Am (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Need to give some motivation to my pro?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Need to give some motivation to my pro?  (Read 1727 times)
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« on: July 19, 2010, 05:05:22 PM »

Well, he looked not happy when I said 'no,no,no.....'.
What am I talking? My teacher asked me if I wanted to perform or compete soon. Not exactly he asked, but sounded like it.

I am happy how my lesson goes now and don't get bothered about the fact that I don't either perform or compete. Of course, I would like to compete within a few months, but have not decided yet.

But, it seems that my teacher needs some kind of goals for me?? Is it normal? Can I just ignore how he thinks?? Roll Eyes
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 07:53:33 PM »

Only you can guage why he is suggesting this.  Showcases, and even more so competitions are expensive - and hence a potential source of significant income for the teacher.  In a pure world your pro would not be the arbiter for when you are ready to compete, some impartial judge would do it.  However, they are also your advisor so may recommend you start competing simply because they think you are ready.  I would take such advice with respect - and then make my own decision (just as you did).  That way you are more likely to be happy wiht the decision to go ahead.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 07:55:29 PM by elisedance » Logged

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 06:38:40 AM »

do you belong to a chain studio or private one. I have two stuidos neither are chain stuidos bnut I have heard pressures on some students from chain studios to do showcases etc.

I have never had any pressure from either of our schools for us to compete. it is only based on what we want to do. but each school is different.

It depends on what it is you want to do and where you see your dancing  going....perhaps he sees potential for you?

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 08:34:44 AM »

Its hard NOT to also consider the issue of money though Q - a pro can make a thousand dollars or more from one student at one competition (including his/her travel/hotel).  Thats a pretty strong incentive....

I know it sounds cynical but there is no avoiding it and each case has to be looked at for its own merits.  Obviously, its why you need to have an excellent working relationship with your pro - and also never forget that though it truly is a partnership - it truly is also almost always (rare exceptions such as a pro trying out a future pro-partner) a business relationship.

dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 04:54:32 PM »

Its hard NOT to also consider the issue of money though Q - a pro can make a thousand dollars or more from one student at one competition (including his/her travel/hotel).  Thats a pretty strong incentive...

Still try to figure out if this is his motive.

I know it sounds cynical but there is no avoiding it and each case has to be looked at for its own merits.  Obviously, its why you need to have an excellent working relationship with your pro - and also never forget that though it truly is a partnership - it truly is also almost always (rare exceptions such as a pro trying out a future pro-partner) a business relationship.

I think it is more toward to a business partnership.
BLOD
pre-bronze

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 06:42:11 PM »

Competitions and showcases can be very expensive. I never push a student to compete until it is time for them to compete. If finances are an issue I never push competition and will find other more affordable outlets to "test" the dancing under pressure, like showcases or dancing in large crowds.
As a student and a professional it is my experience that goals are imperative to progress. Every student I train is required to have a goal, and when I work with my coach we re-evaluate my goals and then we train. I feel that once you set your goal it is important to share that goal with your coach, and then it is their job to help you get there.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 07:08:12 PM »

Competitions and showcases can be very expensive. I never push a student to compete until it is time for them to compete. If finances are an issue I never push competition and will find other more affordable outlets to "test" the dancing under pressure, like showcases or dancing in large crowds.
As a student and a professional it is my experience that goals are imperative to progress. Every student I train is required to have a goal, and when I work with my coach we re-evaluate my goals and then we train. I feel that once you set your goal it is important to share that goal with your coach, and then it is their job to help you get there.

I have to agree with BLOD. If you have no goal then there is a great change that you might be wandering around aimlessly. Goals, deadlines and testing are an essential part of improving. Without them you never really know if you have improved or the feel of improvement is just an illusion. As BLOD says there are many levels of goals and many ways to test those goals and see if you have improved. There is a way for ever student to realize his/her goal and test them, sometimes it just takes a little out of the box thinking for both the student and the teacher.

Being a coach and having coached for 20+ years, I must say it sure makes it easier to help the student get somewhere when you know where that somewhere is.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 10:10:06 PM »

Nice to see some agreement here - each pro/am relationship is different and each has to be assessed by the am for exactly what it is. 

If it tends towards the business relationship then its imperative that you keep control - after all its YOUR money that is driving this.  That means being strong and making sure that you are fully comfortable with any decisions.

It might help to get together with other AMs that work with the same pro - I say 'might' because too often there is a competetive environment beween these for the attention of the pro.  But if you are smart you will work together... Wink

dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 06:02:43 PM »

So my teacher suggested me again about the showcase and competitions, and I will do a showcase at the end of August. Probably the bloody 'Jive'!!!!! Please wish me luck and I don't fall down on the floor.  Grin
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 06:20:20 PM »

And sp---the end of August is upon us----how did the jive go?
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 08:23:13 PM »

yup, inquiring minds want to know

dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 06:24:01 PM »

It was great. I think I did very well and had fun.  It was a over 2 and half minute routine, and felt that I was tired after finishing a half of the show.
But, I pushed my energizer bunny inside of me and started dancing as energetic as possible again.
Of course, I made a lot of mistakes, but I did somethings better than I used to during practices.
More eye contacts and more flirting with the instructor and audiences. haha.....
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 06:32:14 PM »

Terrific.  Good on you!!

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 06:40:55 AM »

Interesting thread.

I think it brings up several universal concepts.  The one that struck me is the idea of dancing under pressure.   Not sure why it seems to be universally accepted that dancing under pressure is necessary, but I have been hearing this from day one, even at a social studio -- that performing in front of others is a necessary part of the process.

I wonder why. Is not dancing enough, in and of itself?

I happen to be a goal oriented person who likes performing, but I'm not sure I agree that everybody needs to be that way. 

(Aside:  Would also be interesting to hear how dlgodud fared, these many moons later...)

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 11:59:00 PM »

I suspect its a requirement made on the basis of assumptions - one is that you dance to perform.  If so you really do need to have some pressure to become good at the performance aspect.

However, there must be people who dance just to dance and are perfectly happy to never have anyone else ever see them.  Its not me - but I could certainly imagine doing this for a while.  Come to think of it I am!  I don't have any performance objectives in mind.  Well, maybe a little one Roll Eyes

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: