partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 08:17:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116457 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Angriest you've ever been dancing...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Angriest you've ever been dancing...  (Read 4711 times)
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2009, 04:26:43 AM »

I was out at a salsa club one night and had the top of my foot and my big toe skewered by a womans heel as she stepped backward.  No big deal, it happens.  After the dance, I went to the side of the floor to grab a band aid and noticed that I was out; however I did have some in the first aid kit in my car.  So, as I was making my way along the floor toward the exit, a guy asked me to dance.  I told him that I was just going to my car to get a band aid for my foot, but I would catch him for the next song.  Imagine my surprise when he tore a strip off of me because apparently I have no right to decline a dance from somebody who is offering.  Its rude, and I should feel honored that somebody would even want to dance with me.

*blinkblink*

I guess he missed the bleeding foot that I indicated when I told him I would catch him later?  Anyway, I felt it was unfair and completely unnecessary.

maybe he's insecure, maybe he didn't hear you said about your bleeding foot, also it's possible that he'd been rejected by other ladies before you for the same evening so getting ultra-insecure and sensitive and agitated ...I agree with you that's unfair and unnecessary, he sounds so pathetic and so incompetent in handling situation like that...

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2009, 04:32:56 AM »

At our recent competition, one of the other couples was horribly, horribly incompetent. Out of time every time we watched them, poor posture, poor presentation etc etc.

We were unlucky enough to draw them in a heat where they were allowed to dance up to our level of competition.

Foxtrot. We had a lovely picture line in a corner of the floor that is held for two bars. This couple – the man facing our direction, no less – was in the middle of the floor dancing in our direction. Now, we were in a same foot lunge – a relatively fragile and vulnerable position.

Half a length of the floor straight in our direction and they still crashed into us. Not a light bump, either, a full-speed collision.

Now I wouldn’t have minded as much if my back was turned, and they ran into my back, but they crashed into my partner. I do not tolerate incompetant people risking hurting my partner.

At the end of the dance, we walked off the floor the same place they did. I pulled the dude over as we were waiting for the other heat to finish and said “watch the f--- where you are going next time” and marched off. I was tempted to hit him, but I didn’t want to comprehend the rammifications of doing that in front of a whole bunch of judges. 

I know how you feel, I also hate incompetent people running into me with full speed when I'm in a line!!! Sudden full-speed collision from incompetent people could result serious injury! I say from my miserable experience from last year OSB, I couldn't even lift my right arm for next few lessons. You've done a good job protecting your partner;)

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2009, 11:17:00 AM »

Today at a comp, we were in the quickstep final and were dancing a slow step. There was this couple bolting at us, and when they were a couple of steps away from us, I heard the girl say "Just go through them!"......and we crashed!

I made sure she heard my voice once we got off the floor!  Angry
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2009, 11:13:22 PM »

Well that sound rather unfriendly  or warfare on the floor. It is hard enough without all that palava.

Today at a comp, we were in the quickstep final and were dancing a slow step. There was this couple bolting at us, and when they were a couple of steps away from us, I heard the girl say "Just go through them!"......and we crashed!

I made sure she heard my voice once we got off the floor!  Angry

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2009, 01:28:05 AM »

There were so many collisions that I saw on Sunday, and a lot of them it looked like the guy had to have seen it coming, but didn't do anything about it. There was one where both men had their backs to each other as well, but it looked like the women didn't warn them.
waltzelf
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2009, 02:39:50 AM »

There were so many collisions that I saw on Sunday, and a lot of them it looked like the guy had to have seen it coming, but didn't do anything about it. There was one where both men had their backs to each other as well, but it looked like the women didn't warn them.

Some people are taught by teachers to not compromise their dancing - even if there's another couple in the way. Be aggressive, and they will get out of your way etc etc.

It's happened to us a few times over the past year - and I must say, it's almost a state thing. Victorians have terrible floor manners, as a rule of thumb. There are some beautiful couples that are great to dance on the same floor as, but for every one of those, there's two couples who will sooner break your ankle than dance around you.

When there are a sizable number of Victorians, a dance floor turns into a football field.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2009, 03:18:12 AM »

Not mentioning that we had a heat of 12 couples doing the Quickstep on a not-so-big floor!  Angry
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2009, 03:29:06 AM »

yeah, I saw that as well!

I also noticed that a lot of the youth and junior couples didn't have much floorcraft either. it seems like it's something that is only aquired at Adult level.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2009, 03:33:38 AM »

LoL Did you see us running towards you in the standard final? That was a good clean run!
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2009, 09:52:33 AM »

I got pretty upset with comp organizers one time.  During one my heats, one of the organizers was trying to set up a spotlight to be used for a later presentation, and he managed to blind me and several other dancers with it during the heat.  I was still seeing spots at the start of my next heat.
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2009, 04:32:56 PM »

Football field is a cute description for a comp floor filled with "violent" couples. The worst is first round of Blackpool in RS standard, so many couples running around like chicks without heads, a truly football field.

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2009, 07:03:56 PM »

There are a few comp couples that ED and I have both gone up against that can only do their routines.  They don't care if that means pushing you off the floor or smashing you in the back with their fist or elbow so they don't have to stop or change course.

At a comp one of these couples kept cutting us and smacking into us for no reason.  We put it down to the crowded floor.  In the finals I assumed this would not be a problem.  Sure enough they ran at us twice and the follow even put her hand out to push us out of the way while we were in our contra check.  We changed our routine to avoid them or let them by but still they would try and come at us and even crossed the floor.  I'm for sportsmanship but this couple had been rude too many times.  While in a left whisk and coming out into an outside spin I saw them come right up behind my partner.  Just as they were about to push into us my partner brought me out.  I came out hard and fast (I have strong legs) and used my martial arts experience into a nice backhand punch with my right hand.  I hit the guy square in the jaw and both of them went flying off to the side.  Afterwards my partner asked me what the hell I was doing as I almost spun him off his feet.  I explained and best of all that couple never came near us again.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2009, 08:30:08 PM »

There are a few comp couples that ED and I have both gone up against that can only do their routines.  They don't care if that means pushing you off the floor or smashing you in the back with their fist or elbow so they don't have to stop or change course.

At a comp one of these couples kept cutting us and smacking into us for no reason.  We put it down to the crowded floor.  In the finals I assumed this would not be a problem.  Sure enough they ran at us twice and the follow even put her hand out to push us out of the way while we were in our contra check.  We changed our routine to avoid them or let them by but still they would try and come at us and even crossed the floor.  I'm for sportsmanship but this couple had been rude too many times.  While in a left whisk and coming out into an outside spin I saw them come right up behind my partner.  Just as they were about to push into us my partner brought me out.  I came out hard and fast (I have strong legs) and used my martial arts experience into a nice backhand punch with my right hand.  I hit the guy square in the jaw and both of them went flying off to the side.  Afterwards my partner asked me what the hell I was doing as I almost spun him off his feet.  I explained and best of all that couple never came near us again.

DANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! woot woot!

What do some of these judges say when it is repeat (obviously so) offenders?

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2009, 10:42:23 PM »

I talked to some of the officials saying that I want to share the floor with my competitors and not have to have it like rollerball where you try and knock the others out of play.  I expect the same courtesy from others but instead I am finding couples, a few in particular (no names said though) that are using bullying techniques to make sure that they do their routines and also throw off the others.  Its unsporstmanlike.  Its not hockey for goodness sake.  They said it was up to the judges but when I mentioned it to them they said it should be up to the officals.

I don't want to become the same as them but I've decided that I will always be courteous to the ones that are of this nature and I will surely take out the ones that are not.  Perhaps if they get the same treatment back they will think twice.  My partner and I are much taller and stronger than the majority of our competitors and after handling large 1400 pd horses whats a couple of 150 pd dancers.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2009, 03:37:46 PM »

Some people are taught by teachers to not compromise their dancing - even if there's another couple in the way. Be aggressive, and they will get out of your way etc etc.

I'm sorry, but these teachers need to be brought onto the floor and instead of being stoned to death like in the olden days, they have to have their students dance around them so that they can get a taste of their own medicine and be elbowed to within an inch of their life (I'm against capital punishment!).  Smiley

I know a few of these teachers and I've told them very politely when they impart such bovine-excreta advice (PG-13 enough?!) that I'd rather lose the competition as a gentleman than win as an ...asset hole.

Nationals was particular tough.  What kept happenning was that these couples would keep coming at us and I would be watching them trying to predict where they're going to go and end up running into another couple because I wasn't paying enough attention to where I was going.  DSV finally advised me to concentrate on the emptiness between the couples and never look at other couples.  Helped me out tremendously.  I made it a point to apologize right then and there on the floor or off the floor to anyone I ran into. 

I did notice that a lot of the Youth couples were especially horrible at floorcraft, no matter how well they ranked.  I think the dancefloor is losing the whole idea behind ballroom dancing: I could count on one hand the number of "gentlemen" I met on that dance floor.  Okay, maybe two hands, but still, out of 1000 competitors, that's not many. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: