partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 03:37:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Angriest you've ever been dancing...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Angriest you've ever been dancing...  (Read 5842 times)
waltzelf
Intermediate Bronze

« on: April 16, 2009, 08:57:56 PM »

At our recent competition, one of the other couples was horribly, horribly incompetent. Out of time every time we watched them, poor posture, poor presentation etc etc.

We were unlucky enough to draw them in a heat where they were allowed to dance up to our level of competition.

Foxtrot. We had a lovely picture line in a corner of the floor that is held for two bars. This couple – the man facing our direction, no less – was in the middle of the floor dancing in our direction. Now, we were in a same foot lunge – a relatively fragile and vulnerable position.

Half a length of the floor straight in our direction and they still crashed into us. Not a light bump, either, a full-speed collision.

Now I wouldn’t have minded as much if my back was turned, and they ran into my back, but they crashed into my partner. I do not tolerate incompetant people risking hurting my partner.

At the end of the dance, we walked off the floor the same place they did. I pulled the dude over as we were waiting for the other heat to finish and said “watch the f--- where you are going next time” and marched off. I was tempted to hit him, but I didn’t want to comprehend the rammifications of doing that in front of a whole bunch of judges. 
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 09:18:02 PM »

City social event, a big affair.  We're dancing a waltz.  At these events, you typically get a lot of couples who only know foxtrot or ECS, so when a waltz plays, they'll go to the center of the floor and do the drunken sway.  Which is fine, as long as they stay to the center.  The floor is absolutely huge, about 150x75 feet, so there's plenty of room. 

So as I lead my partner through an open left, there's a couple doing the drunken-sway at the edge of the waltz "track".  Doing a left, of course, involves moving towards the center of the floor.  As I'm finishing the turn, the guy (with his back to me) suddenly leads a huge back step, right into my LOD.  I try to change my angle exiting the turn, but he makes another random move, and I wind up leading my partner right into his partner.  And then both he and his partner have the gall to cuss me.   Angry  I was angry, but I also felt bad for my partner whom I failed to protect.  Nowdays, whenever I go to such an event, I give those dancers in the center a wide berth.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 01:46:13 AM »

Your not talking about me are you :-P
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 09:54:43 AM by QPO » Logged

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 01:49:34 AM »

We have this happen to us recently at a social and it ruined the night. I would prefer people not to get on the floor when a freestyle is on and then they do New Vogue, it just does not work.

I am starting to get fussy where we go to dance...Friends are a bit surprised but I can't see the point and no enjoyment in crashing and avoiding all night with people who just want to step and not dance.

I hope I don't sound like a dancing snob!

City social event, a big affair.  We're dancing a waltz.  At these events, you typically get a lot of couples who only know foxtrot or ECS, so when a waltz plays, they'll go to the center of the floor and do the drunken sway.  Which is fine, as long as they stay to the center.  The floor is absolutely huge, about 150x75 feet, so there's plenty of room. 

So as I lead my partner through an open left, there's a couple doing the drunken-sway at the edge of the waltz "track".  Doing a left, of course, involves moving towards the center of the floor.  As I'm finishing the turn, the guy (with his back to me) suddenly leads a huge back step, right into my LOD.  I try to change my angle exiting the turn, but he makes another random move, and I wind up leading my partner right into his partner.  And then both he and his partner have the gall to cuss me.   Angry  I was angry, but I also felt bad for my partner whom I failed to protect.  Nowdays, whenever I go to such an event, I give those dancers in the center a wide berth.

Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 01:59:38 AM »

We have this happen to us recently at a social and it ruined the night. I would prefer people not to get on the floor when a freestyle is on and then they do New Vogue, it just does not work.

I have to say I am guilty of this, but sy for example it is a foxtrot, we try to mix it up with maybe an exelsior, a Barclay, and we don't merrilyn or Charmaine. We're also a lot more aware of floorcraft than we would be normally.

Angriest I've even been dancing was when we were dancing a sequence dance, and so was everyone around us. We were in our circles and a couple randomly cut across in front of us. I warned my partner and we tried to avoid them, but we clipped the lady's shoulder. Both members of that couple shot poisoned looks at us, like it was our fault we couldn't stop given a seconds notice, and not theirs at all. Sure, we could've moved completely out of the way or stopped, and interrupted the couples around us, but they did just come out of nowhere.

Another one happened when someone in front of us suddenly starting dancing against LOD (in a sequence, so it was totally unexpected). How on earth were we meant to avoid that??
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 10:43:46 AM »

Angriest .... well I have been angry AND hurt .... but never shown it at the time. My friends see it went I have vented to them.

Dance related but not. confusing. But it's all good now.

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 12:15:30 AM »

last year Ohio Star Ball, in foxtrot, a stupid couple running straight into us, and knocked me off from back:( She is a big girl, sort of bigger than him, maybe that's why he couldn't "control" her. I almost fell, DP tried to hold me up by his left hand pulling up my right hand, I didn't fall on floor but he pulled my right shoulder. that couple kept dancing without stopping, neither apologized to us. I felt pain in my right shoulder and upper arm right after comp, and I had to spend $100 on accupunture to make sure my right arm okay to hold the proper frame for next comp.

USA Dance National, same couple fell on us in V Waltz, we were entering the center of floor from corner, curving reverse turn, getting ready for our fleckerel, this couple going agains line of dance bump into us, thank goddness, no one was injured, we continued fleckerel.

USA Dance National: another couple kept dancing so close to us at quarter final round, the girl kept kicking on me in Natural turn of VW, my goodness, don't you even know you kicked on somebody while you dancing???  Angry so rude:( I hinted DP and he quickly changed direction to reverse turn, so that I stopped being kicked. Thank god, they were gone after QF:)

NDCA National final, another stupid couple going against LOD and he pushed her off balance so she fell on my DP, her face hit the left elbow of DP and the makeup of her entire face was imprinted on DP's expensive tailsuit:( Her nose was bleeding after the collision...after comp, I checked DP's tailsuit, on left elbow a huge stain of mixture of her foundation, lipstick and bronzer, etc. We had to spend extra $10 plus the time to running to drycleaner to clean off her makeup from tailsuit. Thanks goddness again the stain was successfully removed and isn't damaged, and no injury to DP's left elbow.

so unfortunately to see so those can't master the art of floorcraft and lack of common courtesy:( sigh...I know some could only do their routine, and if they say some couple in their way, they just gonna to run into them and trying to "move" them by their arms...so violent, so rude...

« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 12:24:15 AM by standarddancer » Logged

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
malakawa
Open Bronze

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 12:48:09 AM »

even if you are, that is ok. you are paying a lot to learn how to dance,  Wink

those kind a thing happend on a competitions, but to me it happened in a studio where we danced.

there was a girl, really tall, whom thought that she is a queen of a dance floor. if somebody is on her way, she will hit him/her, and not even appologize.one day, we had stamina practice, and she smacked me in a samba realy hard. (and i don't know a number how many time she did it before)

i stopped, turned into her direction and said loud - next time don't be a b****, and appologize. she came to me and ask me - who do i think i am to speak with her like that? i freaked out and smacked her so hard that her head turnd for 180 degrees.

she left the foor in the tears. and i just said - if you can be  b****, i can be too.

and continue with dancing.

Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels.

It takes an athlete to dance, but an artist to be a dancer.
Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

Photo thanks to http://www.marcialeeder.com

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 02:19:09 AM »

I was out at a salsa club one night and had the top of my foot and my big toe skewered by a womans heel as she stepped backward.  No big deal, it happens.  After the dance, I went to the side of the floor to grab a band aid and noticed that I was out; however I did have some in the first aid kit in my car.  So, as I was making my way along the floor toward the exit, a guy asked me to dance.  I told him that I was just going to my car to get a band aid for my foot, but I would catch him for the next song.  Imagine my surprise when he tore a strip off of me because apparently I have no right to decline a dance from somebody who is offering.  Its rude, and I should feel honored that somebody would even want to dance with me.

*blinkblink*

I guess he missed the bleeding foot that I indicated when I told him I would catch him later?  Anyway, I felt it was unfair and completely unnecessary.

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 03:15:13 AM »

I hope he remained partnerless for the rest of the evening.....

Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 09:46:03 AM »

Angriest for me? Well I got a blister so bad that it hurted so much I had to stop dancing. I was having so much fun dancing with my partner too! LOL
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 10:00:44 AM »

I am not an angry person, I just don't like to go there..but there are many occasion that people have annoyed me...So I choose the place carefully now where I dance, so I can avoid them.

Dance Forum
malakawa
Open Bronze

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 10:51:52 AM »

I am not an angry person, I just don't like to go there..but there are many occasion that people have annoyed me...So I choose the place carefully now where I dance, so I can avoid them.

sometimes you just can't avoid a place.  Lips sealed

Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels.

It takes an athlete to dance, but an artist to be a dancer.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 12:27:00 AM »

That is true you cant avoid them sometimes....indeed. But I try to limit the exposure as much as possible..... Roll Eyes

Dance Forum
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 04:23:10 AM »

even if you are, that is ok. you are paying a lot to learn how to dance,  Wink

those kind a thing happend on a competitions, but to me it happened in a studio where we danced.

there was a girl, really tall, whom thought that she is a queen of a dance floor. if somebody is on her way, she will hit him/her, and not even appologize.one day, we had stamina practice, and she smacked me in a samba realy hard. (and i don't know a number how many time she did it before)

i stopped, turned into her direction and said loud - next time don't be a b****, and appologize. she came to me and ask me - who do i think i am to speak with her like that? i freaked out and smacked her so hard that her head turnd for 180 degrees.

she left the foor in the tears. and i just said - if you can be  b****, i can be too.

and continue with dancing.

lol...she's a student of your studio? interesting!!! I've seen people like that, they started to learn dancing, just started to know a little bit, and believe they are the best of the world Grin, at least that person should show some respect to teacher of the studio, although it's absolutley wrong to hit other students without apologies.

good job to put that b... into her place!!! did she behave little better the next time came to studio?  Cheesy

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: