partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 03:15:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Your dance partnership: How is it going?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Your dance partnership: How is it going?  (Read 1906 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: July 18, 2010, 07:11:20 PM »

I thought we needed a low-key place to just update on how things are progressing.

Our dancing is improving steadily, the partnership is getting stronger - and our results are improving too.  So no complaints here!  One of the best parts is that DP is becoming more open to my comments and suggestions so we really are gelling as a team.  Another is that as he is learning to listen (not an easy thing for anyone, self included of course) he is changing as a dancer and I think he is eventually going to be recognized as one of the best. 

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 07:31:52 PM »

The more we learn the more natural and easy it feels, so lately we only know if we've improved if we watch a video tape of ourselves. 
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 08:25:33 PM »

My partner and I are trying to find books explaining advanced technique for open steps. There are a few at Chapters book store but none that explain in detail the technique we want. Can anyone list some titles or suggest some authors. Currently I am trying to find material by Geoffrey Hearns.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 06:17:43 AM »

I feel very good indeed about our partnership.  We seem to have sumounted some big communication and working issues - and I attribute most of this to three things.  First, DP has experienced some major improvements recently (due to an outstanding coach) and has opened up to changing anything necessary.  Second, I have learned to not interfere with his dancing - I think I was always second guessing him and dancing what i was expecting to happen and not what he was actually leading.  This has been a true revelation to me and required me to dump a lot of things that I have been taught previously. 

But the third (and related) thing is the issue of jobs (http://partnerdanceonline.com/index.php?topic=1769.0  and discussions in the body school board).  Its actually been a lot of fun figuring out what things I need to do and even more important which ones I don't.  I think this is more of an issue for the woman than the man since his tasks initiate (as DSV put it so well) he does mostly what he has to, the trick really is for the woman (responder) to NOT do his task so that she can focus on hers.  A recent job I just discovered is that its my task to keep our frame aligned.  DP presents a strong one I make sure that we are in alignment. 

I just realized that I have been in a bit of a dance funk for a while now, its been fun but also a bit of a chore.  With the new growth in our partnership I have started to look forward to dancing again and really enjoying it.  It would be great if this could come out in comp results - I dearly hope it will - but even if not I do feel on the right track.

dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 11:26:11 AM »

Good to hear, but this topic needs to move to Bragging topic.  Tongue Tongue Tongue
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 12:05:07 PM »

Good to hear, but this topic needs to move to Bragging topic.  Tongue Tongue Tongue
Tongue yourself. 
And maybe you should post in the new Jealousy topic Undecided Tongue
and Tongue for good luck too.
Tongue

dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 01:29:14 PM »

Tongue yourself. 
And maybe you should post in the new Jealousy topic Undecided Tongue
and Tongue for good luck too.
Tongue

I am Jealous Tongue
 Tongue to specially E  Tongue
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 08:24:34 AM »

Pro-am partnership going fantastic!  Smiley
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 08:33:22 AM »

So, is she grooming you to go pro? Roll Eyes

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 09:56:28 AM »

So, is she grooming you to go pro? Roll Eyes

I dont think so she dances pro latin with her partner....but you never know

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 11:52:53 PM »

Much better lately, now that my DW is back to 100% after her foot surgery, and we have succeeded in re-working our smooth frame.  We danced in a local comp last weekend, and I told her that for the first time in a while, our smooth dances were better than our rhythm dances.  Of course that means that now we need to work on our rhythm dances.   
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 08:23:13 AM »

......  We danced in a local comp last weekend, and I told her that for the first time in a while, our smooth dances were better than our rhythm dances....
And the results were?  Roll Eyes

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 10:23:23 AM »

We placed first in everything we did, but it being a small comp we had no competition.  There were supposed to be two other couples in our age group and level, but one of the ladies got sick and the other couple had a high school reunion that weekend.  My DW did have some competition in her heats with her instructor.  I believe I was the only A2 male am there.   Undecided   
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 08:44:37 AM »

We placed first in everything we did, but it being a small comp we had no competition.  There were supposed to be two other couples in our age group and level, but one of the ladies got sick and the other couple had a high school reunion that weekend.  My DW did have some competition in her heats with her instructor.  I believe I was the only A2 male am there.   Undecided   

Sham about that but remember you went out there and did the work.... turn it into a floor show I say..... Grin Grin

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 09:01:42 AM »

It is performance experience with no stress....but then of course "all eyes" are on you. It affords an opportunity for judges to really see you. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: