partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2014, 03:01:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Approaching Your Partner With Internet Dance Advice
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Approaching Your Partner With Internet Dance Advice  (Read 2215 times)
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« on: July 15, 2010, 05:29:19 PM »

The question I'm asking is if and how others are taking and sharing the advice obtained from this forum with their respective partners and even their professional coaches.  

A post by a member of PDO got me thinking about how I got started down my current very fruitful journey.  I first looked to the internet when I started to believe that there was a faster way, there was a better way, and there was more information out there than my current pro could possibly know.  At first, it was very hard to let my partner or my coach at the time know that I was obtaining advice from internet forums.  I had to be very tactful in how I presented the information I had learned.  I was a little ashamed of what I was doing because of the stigma attached at the time to obtaining dance information from an internet forum.  I can paraphrase what my coach at the time told me when he found out that I spent hours online trying to learn to dance: "stop searching for more information.  There is nothing more to learn than what I'm teaching you".  Even my partner would roll her eyes and zone out if I even hinted that I was trying out information I acquired online.  It was as if information obtained online was somehow invalid because it was free, and hence, wasn't worth trusting.

In my quest for knowledge on the internet I expanded my horizons more than I ever could've in person.  I met more people in the dance community and built a strong network of individuals spanning the globe which I never could've in person, at least, not with the limited resources available to me.  I also met my current coach through the internet who proved to be better than anyone I could've ever hoped to find in person.  In retrospect, my partner agrees that going online and being brave enough to stick with it despite all the objections and ridicule was the best thing I ever could've done for our partnership and our dancing.  Would love to hear how everyone else is using the information obtained online and if anyone else is running into the objections and ridicule that I did when I first started.  In my case, it was akin to online dating: people were doubtful at first but now it's perfectly commonplace and acceptable. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 05:32:15 PM by Some guy » Logged
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 07:03:19 PM »

Great question.  I think the biggest problems with respect to 'external' (internet or elsewhere) information are not the coach, but the partner.  For me it has been quite an issue.  While DP is definitely intrigued with the info I have gleaned here (and earlier on DF) he used to be resistant to it as I don't think he really likes getting dance related advice from his partner, he loves to discover it himself.  Quite a few times I've suggested something from here and he has dismissed it as absurd or impossible - and then he comes up with the identical idea a few weeks later.  Sure it can was irritating but now that I'm used to it I find it actually rather endearing and I play the dance-wifey role of being interested and 'learning'.  KYEOTP* Wink

*Keep Your Eyes On The Prize

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
BLOD
pre-bronze

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 01:35:37 AM »

Information is valuble, if it is valuble information. Early in my dance career I was drowning in information and trying to understand it all. The problem I was having was the information seemed to conflict with earlier information I had gathered. I was being coached by different coaches who had different schools of thought. It took years before I understood how to learn, communicate, and function within a partnership and with different coaches. Now when I hear new information I communicate with my partner and with my coach. I try to not fear the information discrediting what I know, I try to discover if the information can benefit my dancing.   I also know some of  the information and ideas that I apply to my dancing now would have confused me before. I think when we are ready we find the means to grow, wherever the information comes from doesn't matter. I always communicate with my partner and my coaches so I can process the information and decide if it the right information for me, and if it will help me at this point in my journey.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 04:40:37 AM »

There's definitely a progression - but the problem is that when you start dancing, getting quality information is (IMO) critical so that you don't develop intractable technical errors - but that is when you are the least descriminating and most vultnerable.  I've found the web info to be invaluable to help me avoid teaching that would be contrary to my own preferred style of dancing and, even more important, that might harm me physically.

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 10:53:33 AM »

You're right BLOD, when we're ready to grow we find the means to.  Problem I had was that I was ready to grow and my partner wasn't, or she didn't know it yet.  So we were in a deadly pattern of doing the same thing over and over again with our coach expecting a different result. 

It gets tricky when the information out there is so different to what we hear from our coaches.  It takes a real leap of faith to give something so different a try, and in my case, I'm glad I took that leap.  However, I know my case can't be unique where I was looking for answers and my partner was too engrossed trying to process the current information. 
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 12:07:15 PM »

I remember the first time somebody taught me about the athletic body position.  My coach at the time had given up on me trying to get it.  Then someone from the internet explained it to me very simply and I was instantly able to do it.  The very next day my coach was impressed that I had "finally" gotten it.  Well, I would never have gotten it if I just kept listening to him yell at me.  What was funny was that he kept yelling the same thing over and over to me expecting a different result from me. 
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 01:56:43 PM »

...the 'athletic body position'?
Does this have anything to do with sumo wrestlers?? Smiley

ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 08:43:50 PM »

I think the athletic body position has been explained before on PDO, if i remember correctly its something to do with holding the body in a position similar to the way in which we hold the body while going to the refrigerator in the middle of the night trying not to wake anyone in the house up...

Zac
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 08:50:43 PM by ZPomeroy » Logged

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 09:31:30 PM »

Ah.  The left=over chicken leg position...

pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 11:18:43 PM »

The question I'm asking is if and how others are taking and sharing the advice obtained from this forum with their respective partners and even their professional coaches.  ...

Mostly, I share with my partner what I've learned from my teacher. That's usually more than enough for me to discuss with my partner when we practice. But the internet dance forums do provide valuable information and food for thought. There have been topics that helped me with concepts I was trying to understand, and I later discussed with my partner or teacher. PDO has been especially helpful for me to understand what different styles of dance exist and where my style of dance possibly fits in. I try to read the forums every day in order to pick up any new ideas/concepts.

"It's not what you do, but how you do it."

"The Truth in Ballroom Dance is found in the Basic steps."

A.S.
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 01:36:03 AM »

I'm a little hesitant to share internet dance advice, unless it's something that only I have to change (i.e., magic spot). If DP notices a difference, he might ask where it came from, and in that case I'm fine with saying "It's something I picked up from my forums and I thought I might give it a try"
Otherwise, I don't really like sharing advice that affects him or both of us, simply because I may have interpreted it wrong, or it might be counter-productive.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 04:39:25 AM »

Every now and then DP or I pick up a nutsy idea and try to incorporate it into our dancing.  It can be a set back but more often I find even if its bad, working through it actually improves us, after all hald of learning is knowing what not to do!

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 08:44:45 AM »

I think the athletic body position has been explained before on PDO, if i remember correctly its something to do with holding the body in a position similar to the way in which we hold the body while going to the refrigerator in the middle of the night trying not to wake anyone in the house up...

Zac
LOL!!!  I had forgotten about that!  What a memory!
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 02:49:18 PM »

I have looked at this topic several times as I thought it was a great question. When I danced we didn’t have the internet (I know I am dating myself here but it is a fact). Because we didn’t have internet then I thought that I couldn’t relate at all.

I then thought back to when I danced and remembered a point that actually could be related to this. We were a group of about 6 people that would get together weekly and discuss dancing. It was almost like a think-tank. We would present our issues and then everybody would try to help work out the issues. There were times when I thought that there was some information that could help me improve my dancing. My partner didn’t like it when I would bring ideas to the table no matter where they came from. He felt I was too uneducated to bring anything to the table. I would therefore tell my dance father or mother that I had been thinking about something and if I could run it by them. They were always open to consider what I had to say. Many times the ideas that I brought up would come from these weekly get-togethers. It was actually quite often that the ideas that came from the weekly get-togethers would be implemented in our dancing. It would however always be presented to my partner by my teachers as something they thought we were ready to do.

I was very lucky to have very open and fair teachers. They were willing to hear and consider ideas no matter where they came from.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 07:23:46 PM »

Wow DSV!  For someone who didn't know how to relate, you certainly came up with an awesome suggestion.  I never thought to present it as an idea to my coach and have the coach bring it up during the lesson. 
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: