partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 05:19:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  What to practice..
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What to practice..  (Read 622 times)
pinkstuff
Bronze

« on: July 12, 2010, 03:32:44 PM »

Hi.

I am interested to know what/how people practice.  My DP and I have very different views - he wants to do the routine repeatedly but I prefer to go through elements to improve technique & therefore the entire appearance & performance of the dancing.  I think that improving technique in one thing often translates into other things, so basics are important.  Obivously there are times when we need to go through choreography to make sure we are both on the same page but to improve over all, I think we need to work on different aspects.  I don't know, may be I am going about things the wrong way.  On my own, I tend to work on technique & elements so may be that is where my practice plans come from.  I was thinking that one way round this was to ask our coach to give us "home work" to avoid conflict in what we want to do?

Thanks!

Dance like you're going to fall over
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 05:54:19 PM »

We do both - and both want to do both too (one of the best aspects of our partnership Wink ).  We always start with natural and reverse turns in waltz several times round the room, stopping whenever we want to discuss.  After that we move onto routines.  However, I encourage DP to go off them - its much more realistic since in very few competitions can you actually stay on a routine and the best way to loose is to suddenly panic! (BTDT)

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 06:01:35 PM »

Really good question.  I used to like to practice routines, but since routines are mainly my job, it was kind of pointless to take my partner through it while I was just figuring out the routine.  I see that it was an unfair waste of her time now.  Not only was it an unfair use of her time, it was quite dangerous for her too when I'm not clear on what I'm doing.  

Now that I know my routine, my partner and I take what we know for a test run and push the limits of our abilities at each successive practice.  I think it helps make each practice more mysterious and exciting.  We're striving to eliminate expectations and just deal with the moment, in the moment.    
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 06:28:28 PM »

I think the approach you take to practice would depend on the school of thought you employ.  I can provide my suggestions based on the Body School.  I can't speak so much to the Round, Traditional, or Square schools.  So take my suggestions with a pinch of salt if they don't make sense to you.    

My DP and I have very different views - he wants to do the routine repeatedly but I prefer to go through elements to improve technique & therefore the entire appearance & performance of the dancing.  
Your DP has a point in that he has to know the routine pretty well in order for you to start doing your job.  Without it, his timing, direction, power, and steps will be unclear and that won't give you much to work with.  If what he produces isn't clear then you'll probably be equally unclear in what and how to sell it.  

It might be an idea to have your DP practice his routines in his head or by himself without you being involved too much.  That way when y'all meet to practice the blueprints have already been drawn.  The two of you can then just start building.  I don't see a reason for you to be too involved if all he's trying to do is learn his routine.  In fact, if he's not sure of his routine, he could injure you with an unclear or late lead.

I think that improving technique in one thing often translates into other things, so basics are important.  
I'm with you on that 100%.  However, is it possible for each of you to work on that separately too?  That's what I found works best for us.  If each person has good technique, then you can hopefully put the two together and still have good technique as a couple.  

Obivously there are times when we need to go through choreography to make sure we are both on the same page but to improve over all, I think we need to work on different aspects.  I don't know, may be I am going about things the wrong way.  On my own, I tend to work on technique & elements so may be that is where my practice plans come from.  I was thinking that one way round this was to ask our coach to give us "home work" to avoid conflict in what we want to do?
Your coach is the best bet to settle the dispute.  Of course, coaches are also human, so there is a chance that you will not like his/her ideas.  I know I didn't like any of my previous coaches' practice ideas.  My current coach gave us a really good practice schedule that suits us perfectly.  The good thing about the approach we are following is that practices are test drives of work done off the floor individually.  Saves a lot of heart ache and physical/emotional pain by limiting the amount of time together pounding the dance floor.

My advice to you would be to work on yourselves as much as possible and use the time together to make sure that the work you did on yourself contributed to the partnership as a whole.  If it doesn't work for the partnership, then my advice would be to find out what it is you can work on individually to make sure it helps the partnership.  It's a little scary to do at first but like they say, if you do what you've always done, then you'll get what you've always gotten.  From your original post it seems like you're ready to get something different.    
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 06:34:19 PM by Some guy » Logged
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 07:34:27 PM »

My experience is that many leads find it hard to practice their routines without a woman.  For obvious reasons the dynamic is totally different.

Basics can definitely be worked on alone - indeed, a lot can be achieved when you are doing other things like walking or even sitting in a chair ...

To follow up a bit on what SG said - you can work out a lot of things by yourselves but as soon as you reach an impass - note it down for the coaches to sort out and move onto something else.  I mean what are coaches for but to solve that which you can not figure out yourselves?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 01:33:48 AM »

Thanks!!  Really helpful advice.  I hadn't really thought through why he wanted to do routines only, makes sense now and I can understand it better.  I spend a lot of time practising technique alone as we don't have a huge number of hours to practice together so in theory this should translate to improved practice time together.  I guess, my way of practice together was to do eg natural or reverse turns to improve swing etc or different bits of the routine where we were having problems but I can see why routines work for him as well & I can use this as an opportunity to practice follow.  For ballroom I prefer not to know the routine and to follow as I then don't anticipate.  Latin is a different kettle of fish!!

I have a few things to discuss with coach from the last practice but I am definitely going to ask him how he suggests that we practice as well as time is limited and needs to be effective & I think we need help in that.

Thanks again!

Dance like you're going to fall over
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: