partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 09:32:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Why do you compete?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Why do you compete?  (Read 3253 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 03:34:57 AM »

I love to compete because I can be the sow pony I love to be.... Tongue

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 03:52:44 AM »

sow pony? 
Ahha! Show pony Smiley

BTW - me too ...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 12:47:35 AM »

Me three.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 03:53:57 AM »

yes show pony! Roll Eyes

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 06:17:02 AM »

Neeeigh! Say it isn't true!
me two

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 06:11:06 AM »

Neeeigh! Say it isn't true!
me two

what are you talking about wilber! Tongue

Dance Forum
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 03:33:46 PM »

To win?
In all seriousness, the first time, I was also like, why not? It sounds pretty cool.

But lately, I realize that I am a competitor in the sense that, I will do a whole league better when there are people watching me - at least in Latin. For instance, during one of our weekly group lessons, our instructor asked each couple to dance in front of the whole group (it was a rumba). And after our turn, people fell in silence (in a good way!). During our turn, I felt more alive. I felt my body stretching, moving, dancing. At the back of my mind, I heard a voice, EVERYONE, LOOK AT ME!!!!

So I guess I compete so that people can watch me. It is just so thrilling.

And to compete against other people head on, to know where I stand, to see my improvement. And give me some goal/motivation to improve (for instance, I would like to get to final in this competition). It works quite nicely for me, since it is a more concrete goal.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 04:12:57 PM »

Its funny, far as the responses on here go noone competes to win - and yet I know several couples for whom it seems winning isn't just important it really is the only thing. 

But I'm convinced with your reply millitz since you went through the 'winning' possibility and you are obviously like me a performer.  Not to say I'm not affected by winning - that seems almost a human trait.  There is such a strong emotion of power from winning a competition I suspect its a survival factor that promotes the strong and also weakens the weak. 

One could argue that a truly strong person is immune to loosing.....  Hey, I like that - it means that DP and I are truly strong Cheesy

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 05:44:16 PM »

I think I am like you ee, more a performer.  Sure I like to win but for me it is to measure myself against me rather than how I am against other people.  The people, circmstances and events are far too unpredictable to know if you were really are the best or not.  How you danced personally, with your partner and how much you affected other people watching you is more a factor. 

I have competed all my life and have been very successful provincially and nationally so I don't need it for the ego boost or another plethora of dusty trophies, and it doesn't affect me that much to lose either.  If you can't lose then don't put yourself out there for it to happen.  What did I gain from the experience and was it a good time is the question.

In the end nobody will remember what you won or lost, including yourself, but they will remember if you were an egotistical jerk, a cheater, unsportsmanlike, unfriendly or what have you.  I have mentioned people that were good dancers or won events in conversations with other people and the first thing they say is "oh he is such a braggart I can't stand being around him" or some other such thing.  Nothing about their dancing or winning, just about how they were perceived as a person and it usually isn't good.  In the end winning is gaining the respect of your fellow competitiors, and those around you and most importantly yourself.  This why when I see people bend the rules to win I am more inclined to feel bad for them for in the long run they are really just cheating theirselves.   

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2011, 06:34:27 PM »

In the end nobody will remember what you won or lost, including yourself, but they will remember if you were an egotistical jerk, a cheater, unsportsmanlike, unfriendly or what have you.  I have mentioned people that were good dancers or won events in conversations with other people and the first thing they say is "oh he is such a braggart I can't stand being around him" or some other such thing.   

That is SO true R.
Which is the origin of the line:
'Be nice to people on the way up, you will meet them on the way down'.

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2011, 07:39:01 PM »

I think my reason for competing is slightly different.  It's to make sure that I can really do it.  I see the competition like crossing the Atlantic in a home made vessel.  I build my boat, try it out on dry land, then on calm waters, stay close to shore, if anything breaks down, I can go back to land and make some quick fixes and be out in the water again in no time.  The true test whether I made a truly sea-worthy vessel is to take it across an ocean and see how it holds up to the rough seas and storms.  Nothing like a competition to rip apart and poke holes in everything you thought you had nailed down. 

The day I can pull off at a competition what I can pull off at practice, I'll be ready to retire.  I don't care what my placing will be as I have no control of it.  I would be really upset 'though, even if I win, if I couldn't pull off what I thought I knew how to do. 
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2011, 07:53:18 PM »

I think my reason for competing is slightly different.  It's to make sure that I can really do it.  I see the competition like crossing the Atlantic in a home made vessel.  I build my boat, try it out on dry land, then on calm waters, stay close to shore, if anything breaks down, I can go back to land and make some quick fixes and be out in the water again in no time.  The true test whether I made a truly sea-worthy vessel is to take it across an ocean and see how it holds up to the rough seas and storms.  Nothing like a competition to rip apart and poke holes in everything you thought you had nailed down. 

The day I can pull off at a competition what I can pull off at practice, I'll be ready to retire.  I don't care what my placing will be as I have no control of it.  I would be really upset 'though, even if I win, if I couldn't pull off what I thought I knew how to do. 

Love your attitude, its just what I would love to be - I'm even ashamed that I can't match it.  But its not me... Undecided

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2011, 09:24:48 PM »

In the end nobody will remember what you won or lost, including yourself, but they will remember if you were an egotistical jerk, a cheater, unsportsmanlike, unfriendly or what have you.  I have mentioned people that were good dancers or won events in conversations with other people and the first thing they say is "oh he is such a braggart I can't stand being around him" or some other such thing.   

That is SO true R.
Which is the origin of the line:
'Be nice to people on the way up, you will meet them on the way down'.

For thoses that think they are God's gift to dancing (or other things) I like to remind them not to let it go to their head because today's hero is tomorrow's who?

millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011, 12:36:39 AM »

Its funny, far as the responses on here go noone competes to win - and yet I know several couples for whom it seems winning isn't just important it really is the only thing. 

But I'm convinced with your reply millitz since you went through the 'winning' possibility and you are obviously like me a performer.  Not to say I'm not affected by winning - that seems almost a human trait.  There is such a strong emotion of power from winning a competition I suspect its a survival factor that promotes the strong and also weakens the weak. 

One could argue that a truly strong person is immune to loosing.....  Hey, I like that - it means that DP and I are truly strong Cheesy

=D. By that rule, I am probably weak minded - I get quite negative when loosing. But it's ok, I am human, right? Wink

And like you, I like winning. Seriously, who doesn't? I myself certainly like Ribbons Wink

On the other hand, I see to win in competition as a mind set - at least that is the mind set I had in Latin (standard, on the other hand, I think quite differently). In Latin, a big part is about the energy, the performance, showmanship. And these normally requires one to dance beyond his or her comfort zone. The the urge to win could push a person dancing above his or her comfort zone.

Also, I am super competitive. I really like to compare myself to others (oh, and I derive pleasure when out matching others Grin )

On the other hand, I could also see that this mind set could cause tons of stress. Normally, the final call of placement in dancing is done by judges - and in general, it is something that as a competitor, one could not change what they think/feel. And from a book I read, if we keep thinking about things we have no control of, our neoro system would send out signals of stress.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2011, 05:52:02 AM »

Also, I am super competitive. I really like to compare myself to others (oh, and I derive pleasure when out matching others  )

On the other hand, I could also see that this mind set could cause tons of stress. Normally, the final call of placement in dancing is done by judges - and in general, it is something that as a competitor, one could not change what they think/feel. And from a book I read, if we keep thinking about things we have no control of, our neoro system would send out signals of stress.

That is SO true.  One critical factor of ballroom dancing is ease - couples who try too hard often lack that ease on the floor that non-competetive couples have

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: