partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 03:16:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116513 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Dance to compete, or compete to dance?
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Dance to compete, or compete to dance?  (Read 1607 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: July 09, 2010, 12:40:16 PM »

Be honest now, which are you?

One way to think of it: suppose you had to stop competing would you still go dancing?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 04:39:09 PM »

I compete to dance.  The dancing is by far the more important.  I think of myself as a dance purist.

I was telling this to ee earlier:

My DP and I are always telling our instructors that we want to get competing behind us so we can really work on learning to dance.  It is becoming our real focus the last while.  We could do the fake stiff frames, memorize the choreography to a T and try and fake it through to win but we would rather take longer and take our chances and work all the nuances of dancing instead.  Nobody remembers, even yourself, in the long run what you have won or lost, it's what you come out with that makes the difference.  If it is for personal glory let me tell you from experience that it is brief and "today's heros are tomorrow's whos" ?

When my friend and I started to compete in Dressage (an equestrian event) we would watch everyone go by us at the competitions.  Fake frames from the horse and rider no proper technique and body mechanics but they were safe and steady and wanted to win at all costs.  My friend and I were Dressage purists (still are) and spent years working with old riding masters and they would tell us to forget the others, they are of no consequence, and to not stray from the path.  We didn't and they were so right.  In the end the others could not touch us and they came to us for advice.  We became not only riders but trainers which very few take the time and effort to do.

I want to follow this path in dancing too.  Our instructors have told us the same thing, stick to the course, even if it takes longer and soon enough the others will not be able to touch you.  I refuse to go the fast path because in the end you have to turn around and go back down the slower path anyway if you want to become anything. 

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 04:49:11 PM »

I guess my answer is that I compete to dance. I haven't competed once yet, but plan to compete in this year. Actually, it seems that my teacher gives me some pressure to do it, but don't know yet. Even though I did not compete or ballroom danced 3 and a half years ago, I considered myself as a person who were very interested in dancing.

At some point, I danced to compete. But, I quickly realized that I did not have fun.
So whatever the purpose or intent I have, I will dance.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 07:30:34 PM »

I think I do both - I think I started dancing to compete, its always been a goal.  however, now I really enjoy the competitions and its evolved into competing to dance - simply cause its just fun to dance

pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 03:26:02 PM »

Compete to dance.  No pressure to compete, I do that for fun & to wear outrageous outfits, cover myself in orange body paint and to go through the pain of trying to create a hairstyle  Roll Eyes  I get most satisfaction from learning to dance, working on elements of technique/dancing & when the dancing really goes well.  Dancing is something that has really become a part of my life, much more than I expected .  I don't need to be on the competition floor to dance but it is another excuse to dance  Smiley

Dance like you're going to fall over
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 06:06:32 AM »

I do both at different times.....I started to compete to improve my dancing....and if I go on the floor it about improving myself and being better than the last time. I can also go on the floor to beat the others but I have no control over that, I can only control what i do.......

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 08:49:08 AM »

I do both at different times.....I started to compete to improve my dancing....and if I go on the floor it about improving myself and being better than the last time. I can also go on the floor to beat the others but I have no control over that, I can only control what i do.......

Perhaps you are understating a bit?  Seems to me that you are a consumate competitor on the dance floor...

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 10:36:25 AM »

For me, lately it's been neither, since we have not competed lately and, other than our own studio's comp, we don't plan to this year.  Short version of the story is that my DW/am partner had foot surgery last November, and she's just now getting back up to full song (which is actually a bit sooner than we thought).  I wasn't interested in going to a comp and only doing pro-am, and the one other available am partner that I might have been interested in competing with has had knee problems all year.  So I decided to go in a different direction for a while, and I've been concentrating on showcase dancing (plus social, of course). 

We did a lesson yesterday where we danced a serious waltz for the first time in ages.  We are starting to work out some long-standing timing issues in our smooth dances.  If we can get that together, we might get back to competing next year.

So to sort of answer the question: I do enjoy the competition aspect, but it's not the only or primary reason I dance. 
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 06:20:18 PM »

Perhaps you are understating a bit?  Seems to me that you are a consumate competitor on the dance floor...

I am competative but I cant make it the main focus as we have said before you will loose more than you win!. Not that your aims should change. just a realist.... I can only give my absolute best on the floor with the aim to beat the others, if I dont win, I cant change the result just work on making myself more competitive for the next attempt.

Dance Forum
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 08:57:40 PM »

I dance to dance.

I compete (er will eventually) because it is in my genetic makeup ie: brought up to compete, whether it was soccer, ballet, swimming, etc ..... when I found out BR had comp, well it was just natural for me to decide to do it.

I also like doing shows. (want to do more, but such a complicated situation Roll Eyes) again, brought up with it so it is natural to me.  Smiley

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 01:43:31 AM »

I dance to dance.

I compete (er will eventually) because it is in my genetic makeup ie: brought up to compete, whether it was soccer, ballet, swimming, etc ..... when I found out BR had comp, well it was just natural for me to decide to do it.

I also like doing shows. (want to do more, but such a complicated situation Roll Eyes) again, brought up with it so it is natural to me.  Smiley

Is it possible to change schools? Would that uncomplicate things?

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 04:45:40 AM »

I think its an interesting suggestion - but I'm pretty sure EM is just about wedded to her place - and its also probably the best school in her area.

emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 09:56:27 PM »

Lack of job is the simplest explanation at this moment in time.

Yes completed wedded to my school, as it is the best in the metropolitan region I am in. Amongst other things. =)

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 02:36:56 PM »

Is it okay to ask you what school do you go to EM?  I understand about the job thing.  Sent out two more resumes this week, one that goes in turn to multiple locations.  Fingers crossed for both of us.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 11:15:29 PM »

I go to Atlantic Ballroom. Loves it. =) really I do.

Yeah resumes. Sigh ....

You know (OT, sorry) the jobs I have had in the past 10 yrs have ALL been through people I know. It is unfortunate many people I know are also unemployed.

BOT ... BUT because I love to dance ... I even tried out to teach at an Arthur Murray here. Was hired. But some things were a bit shady after discussing around and turned down the position.
May try the Fred's or other Arthur Murray.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: