partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 03:38:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116186 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Band-Aids, Asprins and Splints (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Dance injuries and possible remedies
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Dance injuries and possible remedies  (Read 3923 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2010, 03:40:17 AM »

Recently having had this knee injury I was staggered to see how many others are having the same problem and it is not age defined, it crosses over all age groups. One has to wonder if the technique we are being taught is correct or is it the floors  that we are dancing on.  Ok mine is Arthritis but has anything I have been doing exacerbated it?Huh
Any good ways that you know of it to get rid of swelling... I am icing lots and also not useing the leg to walk on.....week two going into week three after the surgery

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2010, 05:26:11 AM »

Recently having had this knee injury I was staggered to see how many others are having the same problem and it is not age defined, it crosses over all age groups. One has to wonder if the technique we are being taught is correct or is it the floors  that we are dancing on.  Ok mine is Arthritis but has anything I have been doing exacerbated it?Huh
Any good ways that you know of it to get rid of swelling... I am icing lots and also not useing the leg to walk on.....week two going into week three after the surgery

Sorry, no more ideas on the swelling - but if its not going away maybe you should see the surgeon again?

On injuries perhaps you are learning wrong technique - one of the big issues in the 'schools of thought' topics is how some ways of dancing can  be very hard on the knee.  OTOH, as you said, it could be normal wear and tear.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2010, 08:43:50 AM »

I think a lot of dancing-related injuries are perhaps started early in the dancing career, where the couple haven't learnt the correct technique. For example, a leader not knowing how to correctly execute an oversway, so the lady has nothing to brace on and is overly stressing her joints. While this may improve as both the leader and follower learn correct technique, the damage may already be done, and may be waiting for a later incident that aggravates it again.
samina
Silver

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2010, 12:40:43 PM »

Recently having had this knee injury I was staggered to see how many others are having the same problem and it is not age defined, it crosses over all age groups. One has to wonder if the technique we are being taught is correct or is it the floors  that we are dancing on.  Ok mine is Arthritis but has anything I have been doing exacerbated it?Huh
powerful natural anti-inflammatory things you can both consume and use topically:

** "MSM" which is a kind of crystallized sulfur -- potent assistance against both pain and swelling, and sulfur is absolutely necessary for healthy soft & connective tissue.

** noni juice -- potent adaptogen and anti-inflammatory; "tahitian noni" juice at www.tni is IME the best and certainly tastes the best. can't say enough good things about this.

** turmeric, in both powder and fresh root form -- serious anti-inflammatory

you could also order some "magnesium oil", which is magnesium choloride-saturated water, and use it topically. all together, these would help accelerate your healing.

but (once the swelling is down) to help rectify the imbalance or misalignment that may be at the cause of the problem, are there are any Rolfers and/or Meridian Stretching professional in your area? both of those tinker very personally with your body mechanics to create *seriously noticeable* improvements. awesome for dancers... i had a knee glitch that my Merdian Stretch & Resistance Flexiblity Trainer helped fix -- it was a misalignment of a muscle attaching to the knee from the groin area, which is also (always) affected by the opposite side of the body, the outer thigh, so she helped me remediate both area. i sure could use her help again now for the same thing... i have a tendency toward that misalignment.

wishing you speedy healing, Q!!!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 12:43:35 PM by samina » Logged
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2010, 10:29:01 PM »

thanks Sam

have found a tablet that has all the main ingredients. MSM and glucosamine as well as chondroiton. I will look for a rolfer in my area , if i can improve these things at it puts less stress on the joints then I can last longer without having to have further knee surgery. it always seems to be  a slippery slope once you start this process.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
samina
Silver

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2010, 11:26:23 PM »

Sounds good - I hear the new thing is MSM and glucosamine taken together. Just keep in mind you can also order MSM separately and take in larger doses therapeutically.

If you do start rolfing...you'll have to keep us apprised! That can be a life-shifting process. Smiley
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2010, 06:35:44 PM »

and don't forget Vit D....

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2013, 11:52:00 AM »

thanks Sam

have found a tablet that has all the main ingredients. MSM and glucosamine as well as chondroiton. I will look for a rolfer in my area , if i can improve these things at it puts less stress on the joints then I can last longer without having to have further knee surgery. it always seems to be  a slippery slope once you start this process.

From what I've heard, this is good stuff.  Read the fine print first, though.  I can't take glucosamine and chondroiton because of a shrimp allergy.  There are some vegan supplements that are good for joints but that don't contain shellfish. Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: