partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 05:06:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116436 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Competitions (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Toronto Dancesport Festival
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Toronto Dancesport Festival  (Read 708 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: July 05, 2010, 08:48:34 PM »

One day comp in toronto ... Double Tree

http://www.torontodancesportfestival.com/

Pro/am, Amateur and pro showcase...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 11:30:19 PM »

Surprsed to see so few in the audience but I suppose either there were not that many Pro/Amers this time around or the price kept everyone away.  A nice competition with a good sized floor just too bad it was like dancing on rubber.  One of the best parts of competing is our competition.  Some really great people that are dedicated to the art of dancing like we are.  It is always a pleasure to be on the floor with them.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 04:10:27 AM »

I liked the comp very much - but the floor was something else!

What happened was that the hotel decided to surprise the organizers by treating them to a newly lacquered floor.  I talked to them and they had tried to fix it but to no avail. 

In some respects, its what makes ballroom competitions really about dancing ability though.  You can learn all the routines you like but it seems each competition throws something new at you to keep you on your toes - over crowded floors, odd shapes, tiny areas (worse, split floors), judges standing well into the floor, bag straps and personal baggage, bits of jewelry or crystals - we've seen them all. 

So this was The Floor.  I have never been on one where your shoes squeaked with each step, it was hilarious sometimes watching as all the different squeaks melded together to challenge the music! 

But as said, congrats to the organizers for pulling this off - I only hope they made enough to cover costs and do it again next year... but the way our area is going I think we will see less, not more comps...

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 06:03:13 PM »

I'm going to help support the Oshawa competition by emailing info about it to fellow competitors and ask OADA to sanction it.  I applaud that someone is taking the steps to try and get a competitions going and wish them every success at it.  Now we just need to get more competitors and I've been doing my part to try and get more and more couples to try that out too. 

The biggest problem is the cost of lessons are hitting insane levels.  Some of our instructors put up their price again to $113.00 and hour and some other instructors are asking $180 to $193.  I think lawyers are going to be cheaper to hire than dance teachers.  We have told two of them that they really have to remember "OMG, these are just dance lessons people, they are not curing cancer".  The good thing is that their greed is causing a shortage of students and now they are fighting for them.  I am seeing instructors jumping ship and leaving one studio for another and instructors starting to make some deals.  I have no sympathy for them if they were trying to ride the gravy train and it came crashing to a halt.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 08:55:41 PM »

[Er, might be a good idea not to post these rates R - other (good) instructors may read them and follow suit...]

Please add the Oshawa comp to the competitions board and by all means drop a note about it on the Canadian regional board.

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 11:22:22 PM »

Perhaps more of a warning to those that like to follow suit.  All of them have been losing students left, right and center.  Two no longer even come to the city since they've now lost almost all their students on the last price hike and two others are starting to lose theirs too and so are not coming as often.   

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 11:28:26 PM »

Thats scary - I mean perhaps they had to up their rates to keep teaching viable (I know it sounds a lot but not if they can not sell a lot of hours).  Is ballroom simply becoming unsupportable as a career?  We have seen a lot of attrition of competitors in the last few years.  Personally, I think the competition between studios has put everyone off. 

We neeed some strong leadership to put it back together - and we need the studio owners and teachers to realize that working together is in everyone's best interest...

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 12:05:55 AM »

Yep, the politics are bad enough in the government let alone dealing with it in dancing too.  From what I have heard from some of the students that left the high-priced instructors it was the that the cost finally outweighed the benefits, but of course that does not mean they speak for the others that left.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 12:09:38 AM by Rugby » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: