partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 08:22:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116449 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Competing when you feel you are injured, or should scratch?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Competing when you feel you are injured, or should scratch?  (Read 2422 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 08:55:19 AM »

Oh I see - I thought it was new.  Then you must know how to take care of it - just hope it has not got worse.

time will tell, this is the worst i have had to deal with. but I must have done something that set if off and I wish I knew so I could prevent it from happening again.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 10:04:57 AM »

my knee injury has been long standing starting way before I commenced dancing. it seems to have exaserbated from sitting in a car for too long...but will look at the chiropractor Kiss

Wow, my knee doesn’t bother me when I sit or stand too long, only when going up or down  stairs.

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 10:07:33 AM »

I've managed to stuff up my knee doing oversways wrong...I was putting my weight on it wrong. It doesn't usually come up in dancing, because we've gotten a lot better at doing them properly, but it often comes up in gym work. I'm considering wearing a brace next time I need to use it.
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2010, 10:21:18 AM »

Thanks DSV for mentioning the ART. Actually yesterday I talked to Katusha, she suggested me to visit the same doctor who performed Jonathan’s knee surgery years ago. She said that doctor is very good, I might not need surgery but I should go for consultation. So I called, doctor’s assistant actually provided me to one place with this ART treatment. This assistant is very nice, he said they always ask their patients to seek non-surgical treatment first. He suggested me to try ART for at least 4 weeks, I should only see him after ART treatment.

By the way, I spoke to DP suggesting him let’s practice slow dances, not totally stop practicing, after asking how was my knee, he said, “so are you positive about dancing Manhattan? I’m really looking forward for this…” so I guess I can still dance comp while attending ART meanwhile?

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 03:03:02 PM »

my knee injury has been long standing starting way before I commenced dancing. it seems to have exaserbated from sitting in a car for too long...but will look at the chiropractor Kiss

Wow, my knee doesn’t bother me when I sit or stand too long, only when going up or down  stairs.
I've had something like that - it felt like I had worn through the back of my knee cap... it went away fortunately

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Kiwi-Dancer
Newcomer

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 07:55:34 AM »

Hi guys im new here and i thought i would jump in, give my 2c

Earlyer this year i was also having problems with my knee before our 1st comp of the year. Was having problems with shooting pains through the side of my left knee. Alot of steps were causing problems, Jive kicks were the wrost. I went and got Knee brace and I went from dancing like crap to dancing the best i ever have in a comp.

Its well worth trying it out because I went from having bad problems to finding i was having no pain.
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 08:04:06 AM »

Welcome in Smiley

Thanks for your input...we look forward to hearing more from you
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2010, 08:20:42 AM »

Hi guys im new here and i thought i would jump in, give my 2c

Earlyer this year i was also having problems with my knee before our 1st comp of the year. Was having problems with shooting pains through the side of my left knee. Alot of steps were causing problems, Jive kicks were the wrost. I went and got Knee brace and I went from dancing like crap to dancing the best i ever have in a comp.

Its well worth trying it out because I went from having bad problems to finding i was having no pain.
well that is good to hear. Welcome to you
I am using a strap to practice in, but tonight it has been very uncomfortable....I think there is a combination of scatica and because I am compesating for a kneww that is or could easily have issues....

So strapping and resting I think will do wonders.But I just dont like sitting still I enjoy my training Roll Eyes

Dance Forum
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2010, 08:51:49 AM »

Hi Ki-Wi Dancer, thanks for participating in PDO! Welcome!

May I ask what kind of knee brace are you using? I'm using this one it helped a little bit,
http://www.footsmart.com/P-Womens-Gel-Comfort-Knee-Strap-20096.aspx

it seems your pain is at similar spot as my knee pain, at side of left leg, mine is inside of my left knee (right side of my left knee). Is yours also inside of your left knee?

I know what you are talking about: Jive kicks are the worst!!! Actually that's the major reason I quit Latin!

Are you a Latin dancer? I now dance only standard professionally. No more Latin or Jive kicks. But still good to know all the methods of protecting knee and healthy dancing:)  

Kiwi-Dancer
Newcomer

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2010, 12:43:11 PM »

I use one simler to this.

http://www.footsmart.com/P-OA-Knee-Brace-20226.aspx

I found this to be the best back when i tore my hamstring playing hockey when i was 13. I find this style only slightly limits my movement but gives me support to the point i stoped feeling anything.

Currently only doing latin but once our nationals is over we will be going back to standard.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2010, 10:03:17 AM »

mine is similar but is giving me a bit of pressure at the back of the knee so tring not to wear it all time time

Dance Forum
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2010, 10:26:16 AM »

Thank you Ki-wi Dancer and QPO. So follow your advice, I just ordered this one from footsmart

Very nice this one also nude color, I hope it will arrive before Manhattan Dancesport, so I can wear it under my skirt, would be funny at some steps such as kicks, if the skirts flies up a little bit, people can actually see me wearing knee brace. Lol…

DP is getting excited about Manhattan, but keep nagging “it’s so bad, so bad we missed Yankee, we screw up…” SadSadSad He’s got no motivation to practice if we don’t go comp:( for me I don’t care if I go comp or not, I love dancing, I feel practice extremely important; of course at times injury could limit movement body can produce, but still good to keep stretching, exercise, and practice within the limit, to keep in good shape; improvement of dancing is a long term goal, not for short term just going this and that comps to show off ourselves.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2010, 02:23:58 PM »

I think yo have a terrific attitude - DP and I are the same, we love to practise with or without comps.  But I suppose we all work a bit harder before showtime!

Kiwi-Dancer
Newcomer

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2010, 09:01:24 PM »

Yeah same here. But for me i have to admit i put in those extra 2 or 3 hours a week at this time of year. Just a lot easyer to put in those extra hours when you got a comp only 2 weeks away. lol
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2010, 09:55:06 PM »

Ho often do you have competitions in NZ?  I mean its not a terribly big place...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: