partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 06:15:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116436 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Competing when you feel you are injured, or should scratch?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Competing when you feel you are injured, or should scratch?  (Read 2388 times)
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« on: June 20, 2010, 05:59:39 PM »

My left knee doesn't feel right when going downstairs or when bend to certain angles a few weeks ago, but I still danced Philly Dance Festival, I felt danced like crap, no enough balance on left foot, didn't dance to 100%. Looked at video so dissatisfied of myself.

I went to x ray for my knee, x ray found nothing, but doctor said x ray only captures bone fracture; if injury to legament, or soft tissue or tendon, won't be reflected on x ray. Doctor told me to rest, it takes some times to heal soft tissue injury. So I decided to scratch this weekend Yankee classic, well, big fuss from DP, he was quite upset believe it is so bad that we missed a chance to be on the floor to be seen:( he keep saying he already asked days off from teaching and work Friday night social party, last minute no show to comp is like a big "scandal" to his studio, etc.

Originally I was thinking of scratching Manhattan Dancesport as well, but guess I have to do Manhattan Dancesport with this knee discomfort, maybe it should not be called injury, but still it had been bothering from time to time.

For me if it feels I can't dance 100%, really no point of going comp, what's the point of being seen if dance like crap? but DP wants to compete a lot, he believes always could be something wrong at comp, just have to learn how to cope with it:(
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 06:01:10 PM by standarddancer » Logged

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 10:01:42 PM »

Well, if it's really uncomfortable to dance on, the dancing could be inflaming it further. Better to sit out a couple of comps than do serious damage to your knee by using it when it should rest.
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 11:39:09 PM »

If you feel that you cannot communicate with DP about this issue, it is really time to re-evalute this partnership. With that said, if you decide to go and dance anyway, Iwould treat it aggressivly.
Prescripion anti-inflammatry
see a chiropractor to have the knee adjusted
wear a brace during practise
take Msn/Crondrotin
get a massage

ppd luck nd keep us posted!
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 12:26:49 AM »

great medical advice skipper.

And I am concerned SD that your DP seems more concerned about competing than you.   At best thats shortsighted...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 02:53:53 AM »

I know exactly how you feel I have a simliar injury at the moment. Unlike you, I have the reverse pressure  as my partner will not let me dance on it. It is ligaments mostly likely which cannot be seen by x ray and the only thing that can help is rest.

but as skipper said the next best thing is to brace it, to support it, but no competition is worth a lifetime of injury  Undecided

Unless you have experienced knee problems then, he would not understand the discomfort that goes along with it. You are the best judge of it and seek medical advice. I am also taking anti inflammatories at the moment which is helping and I dont know if that is why it is feeling better. Roll Eyes

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 10:56:49 AM »

Thanks skipper for medical advice, I’m already using a knee brace for practice, and using another one when walking. My knee is funny, walking is fine, it only feels funny when bend to climb stairs or going downstairs. There is a tendon or ligament at inside or back of my left knee, a very tricky position, I even went to Chinese acupuncture, that very experienced acupuncturist couldn’t help.

I met a friend who has been actively participating in Martial Arts over the weekend. He sworn to me that this supplement from GNC called Amino 3000 (a chewable tablet) works wonder for him to reduce muscle, joint or soft tissue sprain or pain, so with his recommendation, I bought 2 bottles.

I agree DP is a bit shortsighted. He had been taking a break from dancing for entire 2009 due to difficulty to find capable partner, so now he finds me, so he really wants to dance/compete; I can actually handle the slow dances, but just worried about QS or tango, last week we were taking lessons from a coach who had coached/ judged him ever since he came to USA (5 years ago) and that coach commented to him “this is the best dance I’ve seen you in America; this partnership looks light thus you can move more freely…”, I think ever since that he’s even more eager to compete.

He does not understand me why I always recommend to practice at least waltz or foxtrot, because I can use knee brace for practice, but for comp, because of the dress, I can’t use knee brace, so it’s even more scary. He had told me take a break from practice but save myself for Manhattan Dancesport, this does not really make sense to me, if no practice, no point of going comp.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 12:07:21 PM »

........He had told me take a break from practice but save myself for Manhattan Dancesport, this does not really make sense to me, if no practice, no point of going comp.

He's right.  No knee no career.  Better to dance poorly at Manhatten and have a future than well and not Wink

standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 12:16:25 PM »

But why not practice only for slow dances for now, maybe consider scratching Manhattan while I attend physical therapy?

In a way I understand he does not want to scratch Manhattan cos in Summer not a lot of comps, very slow, Manhattan is the last big one before summer break.

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 09:02:54 PM »

But why not practice only for slow dances for now, maybe consider scratching Manhattan while I attend physical therapy?

In a way I understand he does not want to scratch Manhattan cos in Summer not a lot of comps, very slow, Manhattan is the last big one before summer break.

I understand, I think you should only practice slow dances with a brace,  seek proper advice as you are a top dancer and this is your future you are dealing with. I will be wearing a nude colour brace under my gown in Italy I will not dance without a brace until I dont feel anything.....It is not worth the risk

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 09:06:04 PM »

Smart Q...

standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 10:19:42 PM »

Thanks Q for smart suggestion:) you guys are so nice and supportive!

I actually have one nude colored brace so guess have to wear under skirt. However my beautiful yellow/white new dress has a white yellow shaded skirt little bit sheer so from lighting maybe could see bit little of my legs thru skirt, so afraid of the ugly brace showing under the light.

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 02:08:17 AM »

Well I am sure you will be moving quickly around the floor that they wont see......but take care, I have bought a new knee strap today but it is black so I can only using it for training.

Dance Forum
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 05:37:36 AM »

I would look for a chiropractor in your area that does ART (Active Release Technique) http://www.activerelease.com  as well as chiropractic treatments, if I were you. My ART chiropractor has been a great help for my students, other professionals and myself. He actually did several lectures with Janet Gleave and Janet was impressed with his knowledge of dance mechanics. He actually don’t really know about dancing per say but he really understands body mechanics. You might also want to look into the way that you use the knee when you dance. An ART doctor can help you understand how to use the knee better and healthier. It might also be an idea to check with a person that is taught body mechanics. Many Square and Body School teachers learn basic body mechanics so that might be helpful seek their advice.

All the best! Hope you will soon be back to great health.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 06:11:28 AM »

my knee injury has been long standing starting way before I commenced dancing. it seems to have exaserbated from sitting in a car for too long...but will look at the chiropractor Kiss
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 08:50:12 AM by QPO » Logged

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 06:28:35 AM »

Oh I see - I thought it was new.  Then you must know how to take care of it - just hope it has not got worse.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: