partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 08:10:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116187 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Practicing at home...
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Practicing at home...  (Read 1542 times)
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« on: June 04, 2010, 01:06:38 AM »

My living room is perfect for practice, I love the fact that downstairs of my apt is the building lobby (no one lives there), and I have wood floor for living room, so when I practice, no need to worry about disturbing downstairs neighbor:) that's why I don't want too much furnitures in my living room...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 06:49:07 AM by elisedance » Logged

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 06:41:49 AM »

I so want a wooden floor in my living room and movable furniture it is 11.5m x 4 meters with no furniture it could be the perfect practice floor Cool
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 06:50:33 AM by elisedance » Logged

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 06:50:55 AM »

There, new topic!  Easier than BOTing... Smiley

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 08:21:58 AM »

well despite the floor, we  always practice small things at home..., shaping....going over a timing  change.

Dance Forum
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 10:02:30 AM »

We have a room upstairs with a cork floor, which is nice because you can practice in your socks and it isn't too slippery.  It's not really big enough for more than a few steps at a time of standard/smooth, but it's big enough for Latin or swing.  There is some exercise equipment, but we've kept the center of the room open.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 03:37:03 PM »

I have hardwood floor everywhere except two staircases and bathrooms. So there is lots of practice space in the house. But if I want to practice something that moves, I need to go to a bigger place. I was practicing more at home and less elsewhere, but I realized I was picking up some habits related to lack of space. Like, when my teacher asked me to demonstrate my part of something, I would do some of it and stop automatically (and then he'd ask, why did you stop, do it again and this time continue on beyond). And then I realized that I was stopping at the same spots at home because I would run out of space and would need to reposition myself to have space to move. Also, there are many more distractions at home, I feel that I am getting better practices at the studio or at the gym.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 06:30:20 PM »

kitchen is big enough for one to do shaping etc house is big enough for two but currently there is no clear floor area.

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 02:38:40 AM »

I have hardwood floor everywhere except two staircases and bathrooms. So there is lots of practice space in the house. But if I want to practice something that moves, I need to go to a bigger place. I was practicing more at home and less elsewhere, but I realized I was picking up some habits related to lack of space. Like, when my teacher asked me to demonstrate my part of something, I would do some of it and stop automatically (and then he'd ask, why did you stop, do it again and this time continue on beyond). And then I realized that I was stopping at the same spots at home because I would run out of space and would need to reposition myself to have space to move. Also, there are many more distractions at home, I feel that I am getting better practices at the studio or at the gym.

I agree.. I would rather go to the studio to practice, I feel i have set my mind to practice and dont get distracted..... but small things that I want to reinforce for a new timing or pattern we will do at home.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 03:32:33 AM »

There is another issue: Can one actually get too much dance?  I mean I love ice cream but might not if it was everywhere around me.  There is something about packing your bag and going to the studio to dance that makes it purposive and fun - and different.  If I had a partner and dance floor at home it might make dancing more like work - something I felt I had to do everyday.

Actually thinking about this a bit more I do have to compare it to playing the violin - but for the occasional lesson I only do that at home - with the rare visit to play with somone else - but, and more analagous to dance - because I have the space they usually come here.  Yet that seems to work.

So now I confused myself!  For some reason I worry about having dance at home and yet with violin there is no issue.  Perhaps to me a part of the fun of dancing is going to the studio...

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 06:57:43 AM »

sometimes it is not worth trying to analyze things as you have found it can give you a different reason/answer to what you are expecting.

but I am sure if you had the space you would use it....it would be part of a mix of training

Dance Forum
Dancerette
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 09:06:05 AM »

We have a big practice space at home and love it. We still travel out for lessons and go to other practice venues for a change of scenery, but it's is great to able to just practice whenever one feels like it, on one's own schedule.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 09:13:34 AM »

We have a big practice space at home and love it. We still travel out for lessons and go to other practice venues for a change of scenery, but it's is great to able to just practice whenever one feels like it, on one's own schedule.
Glad it worksfor you

ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 11:00:39 AM »

I do it all the time, well not specifially practicing routines, but i do choreograph at home. I find it easier to get inspiration from youtube and then create something uniquely me Wink

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2010, 12:44:46 PM »

Ah, but thats a different part of dance - that I think makes heaps of sense, in particular if you do it by choice... (I mean its not also your job)

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 10:46:05 PM »

kitchen is big enough for one to do shaping etc house is big enough for two but currently there is no clear floor area.

My instructor has prohibited me from practicing in the kitchen.  Too much granite around.   Shocked
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: