partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 12:18:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116499 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Turn/spin combinations, grumble, grumble
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Turn/spin combinations, grumble, grumble  (Read 2593 times)
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« on: June 03, 2010, 10:24:55 PM »

The routine I'm working on has driven home the point that my spins really need work...  Roll Eyes  I've got one that starts with a spiral turn, into pivot for 3/4 of a turn, then ronde, then a military turn.  I manage to do it all without falling off of my balance about 1 time out of 5.  The thing that really drives me nuts is: I need reps on something like this.  But after 4 or 5 attempts, my balance is... I'm not dizzy exactly, but my balance is disturbed enough that any further attempts come out as a total mess.  The only thing I can do is stop for 15 minutes or so, which really cuts into my practice time.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 10:34:55 PM »

We've recentlyadded a number of turning actions in our routines and at first dizzyness was a real problem (think turn with your head stuck out for max centrifugal force!!).  Oddly, this isn't bothering me any more but I have no idea why - maybe one gets used to it?  I'm certainly not 'spotting' as trained for latin..

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
ahowlett1
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 12:34:29 AM »

Sounds like you are bracing your neck whilst your spinning. Be aware of the top articulation of the neck to skull and sense if it and the neck is bracing. if so, allow the back of the neck to lengthen slightly. You might feel like you're looking down temporarily.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 05:59:25 AM »

Interesting - I'll explore that..

skipper
Bronze

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 09:34:27 PM »

Exhale on any spinning turning action. Don't know why it works, but it does. Exhale - exhale - exhale!
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 05:14:52 AM »

Exhale on any spinning turning action. Don't know why it works, but it does. Exhale - exhale - exhale!
...but don't forget to inhale in between Tongue

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 11:18:36 PM »

I found that holding your stomach in really helps on the turn. I know you're supposed to have tone there all the time, but increasing it even more on a fast turn makes it more controlled.
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 06:10:20 AM »

Also, one the most important elements of turning is to not. When we turn, all we typically see is the turn, and we forget that the foot placement of turns is 'straight' ahead (in the direction of the movement), or back as in the case of pivots.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 08:45:04 PM »

How interesting---as lady, I am focused on going ONLY forward or backward--man creates the turn.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 10:15:55 PM »

yes... and don't forget to wait at the end of the pivot for the man to lead you out.  It makes him very happy Cheesy

pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 12:59:10 PM »

I found that holding your stomach in really helps on the turn. I know you're supposed to have tone there all the time, but increasing it even more on a fast turn makes it more controlled.

Totally agree with this.  I am still at the point where I am surprised that I haven't lost balance on a turn/spin but makes for an interesting lesson as I then stand there in joy totally forgetting that it is not the end  Roll Eyes

Dance like you're going to fall over
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 01:37:46 AM »

Another thing that I teach in my Turns and Spins class (1 of 5 what I call Specialty Classes), is that we often forget that we have 2 points of balance; vertical balance (we generally always try to stay upright), and horizontal balance (the one that we often forget).

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 11:16:59 AM »

Are there any good exercises/drills that can be used to practice spins when dancing alone?

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 02:03:04 AM »

you should probably look at ballet technique ...  Smiley

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 05:40:12 AM »

That's a good idea.Smiley  IIRC,there are some good salsa spin videos as well.   Maybe I'll google both and see what I can find. Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: