partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 06:17:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Competing when you are sick
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Competing when you are sick  (Read 1287 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: June 02, 2010, 02:44:20 AM »

THis came up on the practice topic: should you compete when you don't feel tip top? 

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 03:04:41 AM »

I think it depends how bad you feel. If your sickness is stifling your energy, and the dancing will negatively affect the illness, then don't. However, if it's a light cold, or a snuffly nose, or something you can easily battle through, then go for it. Sometimes you wake up sick the day before a comp, and you just don't want to pull out.

Personally, I've competed with a fairly bad cold. I took some Panadol and toughened up. I didn't do too badly, but then it wasn't strength-sapping. In contrast, I've taken an overnight bus to the comp city, had a day of sightseeing and rest, and then gotten up early to go to the comp. It was one of our worst comps, and DP and I were both exhausted.

It really depends on how you feel.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 03:27:23 AM »

We have done two comps with one or other sick - and both we did awfully and regretted it.  But this was with flu which is energy draining - we must have looked like we were hauling each other round the floor. 

We've not skipped a comp for illness yet - but we did scratch from heats once.

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 05:01:07 AM »

As I have mentioned elsewhere, it depends on the comp, our next one is non elevating and was being used as a practice comp, if we are not well then we will sit out some events or all of them. V at the moment is worse than I am so I have to wait and see what is happening with him

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Becca
Open Bronze

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 08:27:27 PM »

I've competed when sick before... It felt horrible, and I was unhappy with how I danced... but I had paid so much money to do it... and competitions don't like giving refunds... so I danced it anyway. *shrug*

There is ALWAYS a reason to dance! Smiley
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 09:49:47 PM »

Yup, its surely a no-win situation for exactly the reasons you state Sad 

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 12:30:54 AM »

Back out, crushed toes, spewing in the toilet from a migraine, cramps, H1N1, flu, knee popping in and out, pulled muscles, and presently I have an inflamed heel and bone damage but I danced with in the last comp and will be for the next.  We are just going to do the Niagara competition and that will be it for this season so I can handle it for one more.

If I am sick or injured in between rounds it's tough but once out on the floor I work through it and put it aside and concentrate it away.  I just get in the mode and try and not let anything effect that.  I've competed in sports all my life and between that and marital arts I learned to work through it.  Is it a good idea and wise to do? No way!  Do I do it because I am bull headed fool about it and can't stand to let it effect me? Yes.  With the toes I had a hard time walking to my next spot between dances and at the end of the heat at one comp I seriously thought my DP was going to have to carry me off the floor.

I Just hate to let injury or sickness hold me back and I refuse to let it do so if possible.  Not saying it won't some day for as my DP says, "easy to say when you are in your 40's, just wait and see if you feel the same way in 10 years".

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 04:11:50 AM »

I Just hate to let injury or sickness hold me back and I refuse to let it do so if possible.  Not saying it won't some day for as my DP says, "easy to say when you are in your 40's, just wait and see if you feel the same way in 10 years".
It only gets worse Wink

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 09:05:59 PM »

My DP keeps telling me that too.  He is just waiting for me to need glasses to say aha, starting to fall apart are you.  This way I will have more sympathy for him.   Grin

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 09:23:42 PM »

Suprisingly in good shape - only problem is a bone in my right foot. Tongue

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 09:54:42 PM »

I always say to my DP how many of the people you grew up with still look good, still are in shape and can move like you do.  When everyone doubts theirself just look around at the people you know and see how many can do what you can do, even people younger.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 10:01:31 PM »

I'm right with you there.  You can see it the looks of your colleagues when you mention what you do for a hobby (odd to call dancing that, but anyway).  the first look is one of 'terrific, how bold' and the second 'but she's twice my age Shocked Shocked'

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 10:15:05 PM »

I remember in school we were all hanging out waiting to go in to write an exam.  One of the girls said that it was pretty sad that I am in my 40's and they in their early 20's yet I was fitter than them.

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 10:46:47 PM »

I don't know that I've been in a comp when I was ill.  I did a comp once when my ankle wasn't right.  After the comp, it felt better.   Grin
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 06:32:24 AM »

well I am now at about 90%, still have a thick throat and trouble breathing but I think I can take drugs to fix that! Tongue but V is still not well I would say 70%, he gets tired very quickly and looses concentration, but we will wait till Sunday and if we cant dance we wont. it is not  an elevating comp so we will save ourself for next week-end.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: