partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 09:04:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116399 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Bestest Compliments You Have Ever Gotten On Your Dancing?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: Bestest Compliments You Have Ever Gotten On Your Dancing?  (Read 8278 times)
Burgess Penguin
Bronze

Quack Quack Quack Quack

« on: May 30, 2010, 02:36:30 AM »

Got the most wonderful compliment this past Friday at a social dance, the woman I danced a rumba with said that when she danced with me she felt like she was in another world altogether.

What are the best compliments you've ever gotten?

[ee edited title to accomodate all compliments - apologies for the English... Wink 10-5-10]
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 12:51:41 PM by elisedance » Logged

Dancing - The BEST exercise in the world and A LOT prettier than going to the gym, and CHEAPER than a therapist!

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 03:09:34 AM »

not as glowing as that..... but last night a man who had done comp dancing got to dance with me and thought I had been competing for years, but I told him it has only been for just on 12 months..so he was very surprised and complimented me about my dancing.

So I felt very good Tongue
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 07:39:04 AM by QPO » Logged

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 03:52:59 AM »

Best: stepping off the (pro-am) competition floor my pro (canadian champ) said 'I could dance VW with you all day'.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
dancingirldancing
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 08:09:49 AM »

It is a joy to watch you dance !

This was when I was doing my gold medal .... I wasn't even competing back then.

Nice to know that my dancing makes people happy  Smiley
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 10:30:19 PM »

My DP and I were at a social dance and after walking off the floor from doing a foxtrot a fellow came over and said that the people at his table almost stood up and applauded after watching us dance.  The first thing that entered my mind was :Are you crazy, didn't you see all our mistakes!"  What I did say was thankyou, that is very kind of you to say.  In the end it is nice to have someone appreciate our efforts and to bring joy to other people.  It makes me realize that we should be happier with what we can do together and how we look rather than always dwelling about what we can't do or don't like. 

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 04:21:15 AM »

My DP and I were at a social dance and after walking off the floor from doing a foxtrot a fellow came over and said that the people at his table almost stood up and applauded after watching us dance.  The first thing that entered my mind was :Are you crazy, didn't you see all our mistakes!"  What I did say was thankyou, that is very kind of you to say.  In the end it is nice to have someone appreciate our efforts and to bring joy to other people.  It makes me realize that we should be happier with what we can do together and how we look rather than always dwelling about what we can't do or don't like. 
terrific advice - and what a great reaction.  Too often I have made the terrible mistake of contradicting someone who gives us a compliment on our dancing.  What that does is to undermine the person who is being so generous. 

Its a general rule I tihnk (which I must follow) to accept a compiment with grace - as you did.

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 06:38:03 AM »

yes I agree, many people struggle to accept a compliment and I was taught many years ago...just to say thank you... be it you look lovely today or your that dress suits you etc...

And I try to give compliments to others, because I know what it feels like to receive one.

Dance Forum
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 11:23:33 PM »

terrific advice - and what a great reaction.  Too often I have made the terrible mistake of contradicting someone who gives us a compliment on our dancing.  What that does is to undermine the person who is being so generous. 

Its a general rule I tihnk (which I must follow) to accept a compiment with grace - as you did.
My DP and I would do the same.  We would say that we are not that good but working on it, or point out what we did wrong.  I then realized that it is in the eye of the beholder and they were just trying to tell us that for them they think we are good dancers.  They didn't ask or want to hear why we think we are not that good.  By contradicting them I was basically telling them that their opinion was not worth anything.  A year ago I changed and decided to appreciate what they were telling me and thank them for it rather than criticize it.  I still feel embarrassed by the compliments but I am grateful that they appreciate the hard work we have gone through.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
samina
Silver

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 05:08:20 PM »

Best: stepping off the (pro-am) competition floor my pro (canadian champ) said 'I could dance VW with you all day'.
wow, that's a good one, elise!
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 10:53:33 PM »

A couple of months ago, I danced with a newbie, and at the end, she said, "Thank you for not stepping on my foot!"   Grin
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 12:55:20 AM »

One of my male coaches (a former US open pro finalist) complimented me when I'm dancing well "now the way you do pivots look a little bit like Katusha..." He's a good friend with Katusha as well...first I thought he was joking, then he made such comment several times; Another time he complimented me to DP "she has a beautiful shape"... he made my day !!!

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 06:38:30 AM »

One of my male coaches (a former US open pro finalist) complimented me when I'm dancing well "now the way you do pivots look a little bit like Katusha..." He's a good friend with Katusha as well...first I thought he was joking, then he made such comment several times; Another time he complimented me to DP "she has a beautiful shape"... he made my day !!!

yes you feel so good...until you go back to your coach and then sometimes they bring you back to reality. But I am sure your dancing is at another level and you dont feel like you have to go back to beginners! Cool

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 06:51:42 AM »

A couple of months ago, I danced with a newbie, and at the end, she said, "Thank you for not stepping on my foot!"   Grin
A heady compliment!!  Oops, I mean a footy one... Undecided

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 06:52:46 AM »

Love the avatar SD!  Is that from blackpool?

standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 09:38:25 AM »

yes you feel so good...until you go back to your coach and then sometimes they bring you back to reality. But I am sure your dancing is at another level and you dont feel like you have to go back to beginners! Cool

Believe me, no matter what level you are, we all had experienced frustration that coaches say you don’t do enough and even sometimes in a good lesson you feel you learned so much and blame yourself “why I didn’t dance like that before” thus feels like beginner. Sometimes in front of great dance masters, we all feel like beginner. Yes this very “kind” male coach often brings me back to reality and often makes me feel like beginner as well, then he encourages, then beat you up more…

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: