partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 03:03:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Pro-Am (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Favorite pro-am dancesport competitors?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Favorite pro-am dancesport competitors?  (Read 3756 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: April 16, 2009, 09:07:33 AM »

Who are yours?  Not just the top of the field (but I don't mean to exclude) Who do you like to watch the most?  Don't forget to mention the style (latin, new wave, smooth etc) and group (adult senior, masters etc)...

One of my favorites is Alain Ducet and Beverly Moore.  Apart from winning just about everything they enter, they seem to have unlimited energy and be able to dance just about anything!  Alain and Bev compete in four styles (at least!) standard/latin and smooth/rhythm.  Amongst other achievements, Alain was the 4 time world 10 dance champion...

« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 09:11:34 AM by elisedance » Logged

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 10:12:23 AM »

Igor Pilipenchuk and pretty much any of his partners.

Igor to me .... is poetry in motion. I love watching dance. I get to see it often in the studio! woohoo lucky me!

Oh and like Gerry Gekkman too ....

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 12:43:36 PM »

You know, I kinda don't like threads which go into so many specifics and name names.

But our national champions have good am students, too.
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 12:47:51 PM »

You know, I kinda don't like threads which go into so many specifics and name names.

I respect that.

OTOH ... naming who is not so bad either if we are just stating who we like and stay positive. Dancers appeal to each individual differently and makes it all good!  Grin

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 12:48:49 PM »

Can you explain why?   I certainly do not mean to offend - my experience is that people who succeed in dance competitions LOVE to be noticed - by name.  I mean you can go to any regular competition and see the list of past winners.

In every other sport we talk about the stars and the our favorites why should dancesport be any different? 

I really am interested ttd...

« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 12:50:56 PM by elisedance » Logged

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 12:56:41 PM »

I think it's one thing to have people listed on the official competition site, and another thing to discuss their dancing on internet message boards. I guess they gave their permission to the competition to use their names by registering there, they didn't give their permission to us random folks here.
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 01:01:03 PM »

I think it's one thing to have people listed on the official competition site, and another thing to discuss their dancing on internet message boards. I guess they gave their permission to the competition to use their names by registering there, they didn't give their permission to us random folks here.

I understand what you are saying.

BUT .... when one is a public figure (and they are) it is going to happen. The best we can do here is while we may say who we like, is to make sure that we stay on the up and up.

If it got to the point of it getting out of hand then it would be yanked. They have their professional reputations after all.

Now I definitely understand this in the am/am or pro/am situations. the ams are not pros therefore maybe names would not be appropriate.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 01:39:03 PM »

I see it rather differently.  Once you enter a competition and you are listed in the schedule you are already in the public eye. 

So is it wrong for dancesportinfo to list competing amateurs also?  What about Dance magazines?  Amateur associations? Any news media - do you think they shoule also refrain from mentioning any names -

Or is it just pro-am that you feel this is the case?  If so why?

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 01:58:16 PM »

I think we have raised an interesting question about naming of names of dance stars on the forum and have started a topic on the question in the radical questions board (general discussion catagory)

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 02:13:27 PM »

I see it rather differently.  Once you enter a competition and you are listed in the schedule you are already in the public eye. 

So is it wrong for dancesportinfo to list competing amateurs also?  What about Dance magazines?  Amateur associations? Any news media - do you think they shoule also refrain from mentioning any names -

Or is it just pro-am that you feel this is the case?  If so why?

Dancesportinfo and such are still official entities, I guess. My take is that internet forum is different from those. And for the record, I don't like the threads which invite people to discuss their favorite pro-pro or am-am couples either.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 04:07:08 PM »

Dancesportinfo and such are still official entities, I guess. My take is that internet forum is different from those. And for the record, I don't like the threads which invite people to discuss their favorite pro-pro or am-am couples either.

dancesportinfo is not official at all - its a self-made site just as we are.

I'll PM.... Smiley

emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 04:12:02 PM »

No elise I actually have no problems with it. thought I see the point. LOL

and honestly I think most sites are general sites and not official.

Meh .... dunno. Undecided

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 04:15:19 PM »

well, how about you.  If you won the world championship at OSB next fall would you object if we mentioned it (congratulated you) here?  Would it bother you if I listed you as one of my favorite pro/am competitors?

If not  can you come up with a situation where one might object?

emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 04:21:46 PM »

I wouldn't care if someone mentioned my name honestly. good or bad. LOL

only reason why I could see am/am is more thinking along the lines of the kids. but even then .... that is stretching it. LOL

I have no objections whats so ever. LOL

dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 04:52:35 PM »

well, how about you.  If you won the world championship at OSB next fall would you object if we mentioned it (congratulated you) here?  Would it bother you if I listed you as one of my favorite pro/am competitors?

Why thank you, Elise.  it was a tough competition beating all you more experience Standard dancers, but was it ever a wonderful experience.  Looking forward to our next competition together!

If not  can you come up with a situation where one might object?

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: