partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 04:24:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116487 Posts in 1856 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Getting in Over Your Head
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Getting in Over Your Head  (Read 1210 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: May 20, 2010, 01:01:26 PM »

I don't think I have to preach anyone here that dance is almost always an amazing addition to a life.  The benefits in physical, emotional, achievement, social etc areas are documented all over PDO (amongst, of course, many other places).  However, dance itself and, perhaps, even more so people associated with the dance 'industry' can make the experience a very negative one.

I think we need a topic on the seamy side of partnerdancing to help those that are in, or are vulnerable to fall into these occupational hazzards.  And, of course, information on how to avoid them and deal with them if they occur.

There are many different varietes of holes in the dance floor, as it were: pros that con thieir ams; partners that become manipulative based on committment; and just getting truly addicted to the point where the rest of your life is not just impacted (which is surely normal - and often desirable) but damaged so that life is hurt not helped.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 10:24:47 PM »

IHMO, by far the biggest headache in the whole dance biz is pros who sell gigantic packages to unsuspecting students and then don't live up to their end of the bargain.  The studio I dance at does not sell packages for this reason.  The typical thing that happens is that the pro sells a few packages and then quickly spends the money (on coaching, building improvements, booze, whatever).  Then, they find themselves teaching lessons that they aren't getting any income from, because they are already paid for.  What to do?  Sell more packages!  It becomes a sort of pyramid scheme, where new students are essentially paying the pro to teach previous students.  Like all pyramid schemes, it eventually collapses.  Then the pro has a problem because they are teaching but there is no income.  The pro gets resentful and puts less effort into teaching, or even maybe tries to discourage students in hopes that some of them will quit and forfeit their paid-for lessons.  Or... you have the guys who are more blatant about it -- they sell a bunch of packages, skip town, do it again somewhere else, lather, rinse, repeat.  We had one of those come through our studio some years ago.  He left town owing some students thousands of dollars.  Last I heard one of the students was still trying to serve him papers.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 04:19:57 AM »

Wow, I had not thought about it like that before - in particular how a pro can get 'in arrears' with lessons paid for but no time to teach them.  Actually, thats what (in general) chain studios do well, they match the sold package to the lessons.  Of course, the temptation to give very little in the lesson must be strong (or to substitute a beginning (read cheap) teacher for a real one).

MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 09:46:39 AM »

I think the problem's not so much with the packages as with the pro themselves--I started at a FADS, and while I have lots of criticisms about their system in general, my studio in particular was one of the good ones.  We had the option (as I'm sure is the case at every FADS) of basically setting up a payment plan; we'd sign a contract for a block of lessons, and then pay towards the balance monthly.  Now, you could still end up paying off the package before you take all of the lessons on it, but you weren't giving the studio one big lump sum.  And as I said, I was at a great studio, so I never felt like I was getting "less than" from any of the teachers there.

I also think that there's nothing inherently wrong with packages, just the way they're used to take advantage of people.  If you have a pro you trust and feel confident that you'll be with for a while, why not buy a specific number of lessons at a time if they offer a discount on them?  I don't think my pro does that, but I've definitely heard of independent teachers selling (usually small) packages of lessons at a discount over their per-lesson fee.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 11:48:30 AM »

I agree MC - and have paid for a block of lessons with a discount too.  And yes, its only the 'bad' (or, to be fair, sometimes just economically incompetent) pros with which the problems occur (they can, obviously, also originate with the student in other contexts).

samina
Silver

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 12:36:03 PM »

seduction, subtle or otherwise, on the part of an instructor in order to secure more packages... oof.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 07:12:53 AM »

seduction, subtle or otherwise, on the part of an instructor in order to secure more packages... oof.

Yup.  And not always sexual seduction.  Oh.  The stories I could tell.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 05:40:18 PM »

Yup.  And not always sexual seduction.  Oh.  The stories I could tell.

maybe better not... Shocked

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: