partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 08:04:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116487 Posts in 1856 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  communicating with your partner
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: communicating with your partner  (Read 1681 times)
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 10:27:23 PM »

Our coach regularly makes a point of walking around, deliberately trying to get in our way. In that situation, as with any comp situation, I am highly tuned to what DP is doing. Half the time he forgets the routines, and I never really learnt them properly. I just follow him wherever he goes.

We have this neat little following exercise. We stand in ballroom hold, and DP will have his weight on one foot. My job is to sense what foot he's on. Then he will move in a random direction. I follow (or at least, I'm meant to). If he has his weight properly placed and compresses, it is nearly impossible to not follow. We practise it lots, in the hope that it will transfer into a competition scenario. There is no communication beyond body language.
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 01:58:33 PM »

This is a very common practice, and the main part of the movement in Argentine Tango.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 03:58:52 PM »

Our coach regularly makes a point of walking around, deliberately trying to get in our way. In that situation, as with any comp situation, I am highly tuned to what DP is doing. Half the time he forgets the routines, and I never really learnt them properly. I just follow him wherever he goes.

We have this neat little following exercise. We stand in ballroom hold, and DP will have his weight on one foot. My job is to sense what foot he's on. Then he will move in a random direction. I follow (or at least, I'm meant to). If he has his weight properly placed and compresses, it is nearly impossible to not follow. We practise it lots, in the hope that it will transfer into a competition scenario. There is no communication beyond body language.

thats a great excecize - wonder if I can get DP to do it...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2010, 05:18:04 PM »

My job is to think, "And where are we going now?". He has the first word and I "finish" the sentance. Then I wait for his next word.

Sometimes we practise with me blind-folded---it's a trust issue. Do I really need to know? Afterall, he can 'see' the whole floor--frequently I am moving backwards on my line.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 06:45:09 PM »

Today we had a practise, a lesson and then a longer practise.  In the latter we first worked over our lesson.  Then we did our waltz and FT routines - only there was latin music (samba) going on so DP put on headphones and listened to a CD to dance to.  What amazing practise for me!  I could only 'hear' two things: the samba (totally off time of course) and DP.  We worked through both routines and they felt way better than usual.  DP was leading with confidence and I was listening to him with a very attentive 'ear'.  After he even complemented me on 'staying on time'.  A really great practise.

Smiley Cheesy

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: