partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 04:57:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116187 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  heel turns
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: heel turns  (Read 1487 times)
MrsMoose
Bronze

« on: May 10, 2010, 07:39:46 AM »

Ok, I'm starting this thread in the hopes of getting advice on how to "get" a heal turn.

I'm just started international (was dong smooth and want to do both) and I'm struggeling with the heal turns. I've only had 2 lessons but any help and advice would be very much welcome.

thank you
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 07:47:40 AM by elisedance » Logged
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 09:15:06 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20bSRGp3Fq4

I found this very short video on heel turns. I sometimes take it so literally, as watching this women do heel turns looks more like pivoting on the balls of her feet where as I try to define the heel more. I think I confuse myself Roll Eyes

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
MrsMoose
Bronze

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 10:17:38 AM »

Thanks for the video, it does look like more on the balls but my teacher says heals, I'm so not getting it.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 10:57:50 AM »

THe key is to not rush it - basically the man takes you round, you should do very little effort yourself beyond thaking the initial backstep and, most important balancing yourself on your heel.

There is a great excersize where you do endless heel turns down the floor by yourself.  I use it for a warm up - but will have to explain later...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 02:30:20 PM »

I think the reason it looks like she is turning on the balls of her feet is that it's an optical illusion caused by her changing weight (and hence changing the pivoting foot) in the middle of the turn.  That's one of the tricky bits, and I have yet to be able to do it consistently.  Actually, watching that video has given me an idea that I'm going to try out tonight.
mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 09:40:50 PM »

just a question Mrs Moose - what sort of heels do your shoes have?  I find it nearly impossible to do a heel turn with flared heels. mm
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 10:03:53 PM »

do you turn your free foot inward as you transfer weight to help with the turn or do you do the complete turn on the heel as your feet pass?
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 01:29:22 AM »

just a question Mrs Moose - what sort of heels do your shoes have?  I find it nearly impossible to do a heel turn with flared heels. mm
Always use flared heels - no problem.  No problem in flat heels either, long as they have suede on them.

Actually, maybe thats one of the tricks: I have suede stuck to the heels of all my shoes, I don't use plastic heel protectors.  This may make it easier to learn (though now I think I could do heel turns in gumboots Grin )

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 04:58:23 AM »

I have some heel protectors that were a soft plastic so I could grip when I pushed into the floor. but some are so hard that you skim over the surface and nearly break your neck! Shocked

Dance Forum
MrsMoose
Bronze

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 08:27:30 AM »

Hi
First thank you for all the help.

I don't have heal protectors, I don't like them, I too almost fell with them.

I wear practice shoes, Werner Kern, 2" not sure if I'd call them flared or not. 

How do I do it, well I've only had 2 "lessons" so I'm not sure, I take the step back, then collect and then try to turn. My problem is that he says the foot has to be completely together when I turn. Although he said in the second lesson that sometimes I did get it, but when he said I got it I felt I didn't. Not sure what it should feel like is not helping me any either so I don't know if I get it or not, does that make sense??

EE, when you ahve a chance practice exerice would be great. I have nice wood floors in living room and hallway so I can practice easily.

thanks everyone
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 08:42:53 AM »

This is the way that i think of it, and it seems to work for me: Take your right leg back, without putting weight on as yet. Extend your ankle back as far as possible and transfer the weight onto the toes of your right foot, think of the transfer as a rolling action, your weight rolls through the toes, to the ball to the arch of the foot. As this is occurring bring your left foot to your right and let the man control the turn, the action of bring the left leg to the right will give you some natural momentum, but rather than trying to control it let it follow where the man is going.

Another thing that also seems to help is rather than really trying to concentrate on the turn of the body, think rather of turning the back of the head, which if done correctly will relatively do little movement as if you think about it, it will be the most inner section of the turn.

Hope it helps

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
MrsMoose
Bronze

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 08:53:02 AM »

I'll give it a try at my next lesson which is not before friday.

I had to cancel tomorrows class as I have to attend something.

Thanks you ZP
MrsMoose
Bronze

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 08:09:22 PM »

I want to thank everyone for the heal turn advice and the you tube video.

It really helped.

I had my first class today since I started the topic and my teacher/Pro said "I'm really impresssed" You didn't have it at all last time and you got it this time, almost perfect.

He was shocked/amazed and really impressed with my heal turns. Considering I had no class since and I really was screwing them up, it was like once or twice that I tried international. I never thought I'd get it.

so THANK YOU everyone for all your help
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 09:44:13 PM »

well it is nice to know we can help someone, you know us dancers we love to share!

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 06:39:50 AM »

"my job here is done" said the Lone Ranger and heel-turned into the sunset...

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: