partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 06:36:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116409 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Competition mishaps..... oops!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Competition mishaps..... oops!  (Read 4768 times)
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2009, 08:29:57 AM »

Even have seen a gal loose her latin shoe once (awhile ago) she kept dancing like it was suppose to.

At Crown we had a couple of people lose their shoes. It's why I always wear shoes with straps.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2009, 03:22:53 PM »

When I did ProAm I had the back of my strapless dress come undone in the tango.  The dress slid down to just above the critical zone but got through the dance with a very tight partner contact keeping the dress up the rest of the way.

A few years back the strap broke on my dress in the samba.  I had to do the dance by trading off which hand would hold the dress on and which was to my partner.

I have had my shoe stepped into a few times and pulled off twice.  The strap held it on but it was sideways on my foot.  I was able to kick it back up and on both times and my partner never even knew.

There was a young fellow with no floor craft who ran into another couple so hard they both crashed into me.  The guy hit my foot and flipped me off my heel ending with him standing on the side of my foot.  I'm hyper-flexive (double jointed) so my ankle did not break but broke the guys fall backward, I braced myself to hold us all up, and my DP kept moving and the momentum brought us all out of it.  In the finals the kid did the same thing, ran into the same guy but this time my DP was watching and kept us out of it and the poor couple went down hard.  After the round was over the guy sought the young fellow out, took him by the front of his shirt, and, three inches from his face told him that his next lesson had better be on floorcraft.  Loved it and almost shook his hand.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2009, 05:22:01 PM »

The first year we went to Vol State, I saw a lady lose her wig.   Shocked 
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2009, 08:55:46 PM »

Was it anybody I know? LOL...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2009, 10:19:25 PM »

So now I have two uses for conditiioner: removing hair spray and shaving the legs (seriously, its way better than soap... or the other stuffs and its always around Smiley)

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2009, 11:49:04 PM »

Was it anybody I know? LOL...

I don't think so; it was six years ago, and I don't recall seeing her since. 

You know what's interesting?  If you asked a lot of women "if you wore a wig, what would be more embarrasing to have happen in public, losing your top or losing your wig?", I think a lot of them would say the wig.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2009, 11:56:57 PM »

I suppose it would also depend on what you had underneath - in both cases... Wink

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2009, 12:15:51 AM »

Easier to get the top back on straight compared to a wig I'd guess.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2013, 11:09:47 AM »

Oh!  This thread is hilarious!    Falling hair, flying shoes.  Just goes to show that Murphy's LAw stands.  If it can go wrong, it will.

Has anybody tried that double-sided costuming tape to keep costumes (especially ladies' tops)in place with no wardrobe malfunction?

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2013, 02:05:16 AM »

Oh!  This thread is hilarious!    Falling hair, flying shoes.  Just goes to show that Murphy's LAw stands.  If it can go wrong, it will.

Has anybody tried that double-sided costuming tape to keep costumes (especially ladies' tops)in place with no wardrobe malfunction?
to stick it to your skin? Shocked

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2013, 04:40:10 AM »

recently in NZ a young girl her costume was going to expose part of her body...and they stepped off the floor and then came back on a judge got cranky claiming they should be disqualified, and the MC said well it was better they fix it rather than embarrassing the young dancer!

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2013, 05:34:38 AM »

to stick it to your skin? Shocked

Yep.  It sticks to you one on side and the fabric of your costume of the other side. Cool

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2013, 05:35:22 AM »

recently in NZ a young girl her costume was going to expose part of her body...and they stepped off the floor and then came back on a judge got cranky claiming they should be disqualified, and the MC said well it was better they fix it rather than embarrassing the young dancer!

Seems to me that judge was missing the point.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2013, 11:42:26 PM »

Seems to me that judge was missing the point.

Technically, I think the judge was right.  Its the competitors responsibility to have a costume that is acceptable and functional.  If it fails then the couple should be disqualified because they are breaking presentation rules. 

Anything else leaves costume as an uncontrolled entity - you could have pieces flying off on purpuse to interfere with your competitors or design them to fail so that you do not have to do the whole QS duration ... people will come up with some way of taking advantage....

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2013, 07:11:34 AM »

I think that requiring a young girl to humiliate herself in order not to be disqualified is a bit harsh. 

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: