partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 02:54:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Competition mishaps..... oops!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Competition mishaps..... oops!  (Read 5754 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 03:17:44 AM »

It shows how professional you all are that none of you fell and the show went on....I hope I can remain cool under such adversity.

Its less 'coolness' as survival instinct!!  In fact one may dance better because your anxiety is replaced by resolve...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2009, 03:12:05 AM »

My DW stepped on her hem during a waltz, and ripped it out.  We danced most of that waltz with a strip of cloth several feet long dangling behind us.   Shocked  I kept having to step over it. 

I put my heel through the hem - which because of a metal ribbon could not rip through -kept me impaled on my skirt half way through an open qs - despite many attempts to shake it off.  Approaching the last side I realized that there was no way I could do that series of scatter chasses and step hops without falling over so we did some jumps in the corner and I finally shed the link - I thought quite impercetably.

Fortunately, I had a video.  Whats amazing is that the half of the floor I danced while attached to the skirt you can't tell a thing - but the jumps in the corner are hilarious.  Oh, and we won the QS... maybe the judges liked my jumping energy Smiley

wow, great job!!! darn, I hate those skirts with feather boa or metal ribbon:( one comp I had a dress with fringe feather and metal ribbons at hem, and at warm up my heel stepped thru the hem, I hated it, and attempted to changed to another dress, but DP liked that dress, insisted me to wear it, I danced entire comp worried about my heel thru that hem again, and couldn't dance free, definitely wasn't our best performance.

I've noticed some top Italian standard ladies wear their skirts as short as above ankle for faster and deeper lowering action, ever since that, I prefer to wear my skirt slightly above my ankle for free movement and avoid the risk of stepping on hem ruining the dress.

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2009, 06:39:54 AM »

Yes I have mine short also, you can see my last dress on the Aussie Thread, but I did that because if you bend backwards I wont stand on my dress which has happened before. I have put a whole in one dress and nearly pulled myself of my feet....

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2009, 07:52:14 AM »

I've noticed some top Italian standard ladies wear their skirts as short as above ankle for faster and deeper lowering action, ever since that, I prefer to wear my skirt slightly above my ankle for free movement and avoid the risk of stepping on hem ruining the dress.

That would be a double benefit for me - not only solve the hem problem but it would allow me to buy dresses from shorter women.  I can never find used dresses because I am tall and the tall ones are taken by the larger, short women who have the hems raised.

Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2009, 01:41:37 AM »

I have my own mishap now. At the competition I had a french twist held together with pins and hairspray. After a few dances it was getting a bit loose but DP and my sisters assured me it wasn't going to move an inch. Heh.
The very first alemana I did in our cha cha, one of the pins fell out and it got significantly looser. There goes the rest of my fast spins for that one and the next. We found the pin at the end of the song when DP stepped on it, and when we finally got off of the floor I got it fixed tighter than it had been before. Thankfully it didn't move for the rest of the day (which was two events).
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2009, 01:49:03 AM »

I have my own mishap now. At the competition I had a french twist held together with pins and hairspray. After a few dances it was getting a bit loose but DP and my sisters assured me it wasn't going to move an inch. Heh.

Hehe....ok hairspray, spray as much as it takes to make your hair rock solid =P That way, it won't fall out!
I only used hairspray yesterday, but I used tons!
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2009, 02:20:01 AM »

I love hairspray and have found tresseme strong hold wonderful nothing moves :-) lasts the hole day until I brush it out.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2009, 02:35:56 AM »

I love hairspray and have found tresseme strong hold wonderful nothing moves :-) lasts the hole day until I brush it out.

I put so much on that I have to stand in the hot shower for 5 mins just to get it to soften! LoL
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2009, 05:58:50 PM »

I put so much on that I have to stand in the hot shower for 5 mins just to get it to soften! LoL

And wash my hair 3x!

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2009, 10:04:47 PM »

Some of that stuff doesn't even come out with shampoo - its like tree resin

emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2009, 10:08:59 PM »

I remember seeing a competitor at nationals (lower level) where her hair came undon. poor thing...half up half down. my heart went out to her. But as they say show must go on.

Even have seen a gal loose her latin shoe once (awhile ago) she kept dancing like it was suppose to.

gotta admire ..............

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2009, 11:48:56 PM »

Some of that stuff doesn't even come out with shampoo - its like tree resin

There's a bit of a trick to it--I'll let you in on a little secret I discovered.  Don't shampoo your hair when you first get into the shower and let it soak in the hot water; before you try to shampoo all that gunk out, put a lot of very thick conditioner on it, let it soak in for a few minutes, then massage it into your hair the same way you'd do with shampoo and rinse it out.  The conditioner will break up all that built-up gunk in your hair so it can be shampooed out cleanly without damaging your hair--when I tried to shampoo it all away without massaging in the conditioner first, my hair always felt brittle and dry, but when I let the conditioner do its work before trying to shampoo, everything comes out fine.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2009, 12:25:07 AM »

Excellent idea MusicChica.  I will certainly take your advice.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2009, 06:47:53 AM »

Excellent idea MusicChica.  I will certainly take your advice.

ditto... Smiley

MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2009, 01:33:01 AM »

You're welcome!  Thought I'd pass it along since it's worked so well for me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: