partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 07:59:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116385 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  What is your gender preference when it comes to dance coach
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: What is your gender preference when it comes to dance coach  (Read 2963 times)
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2009, 08:08:21 PM »

Anyway, I think every coach deserves a fair crack at it regardless of sex, religion, colour of their skin, background (to a point) etc. etc

Dancing with the feet is one thing, but dancing with the heart is another.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2009, 01:14:45 PM »

I don't think thats the same question though V - the topic is clearly about the consumer not the provider..

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2009, 08:30:54 PM »

I don't think thats the same question though V - the topic is clearly about the consumer not the provider..
It was just a comment on the previous post, but I feel it does have a connection to the question.......... unless you suggest that we should ask for the teachers "modes of swing" first before we make up our mind and engage him/her

Dancing with the feet is one thing, but dancing with the heart is another.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2013, 11:15:45 AM »

I think that am/am versus pro-am makes a difference, as well.  If you're pro-am, it's pretty much a given that your main coach is going to be of the opposite sex, so you can dance with her/him in competitions.  Of course, I mean main coach.I think its good to supplement with lessons from someone of the same sex,for things like styling, etc.

If you're an am/am couple, I can't see why it matters.  A good coach may have a preferred way of dancing, but they SHOULD have been required to learn both parts well enough to teach both without bias.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2013, 10:30:43 PM »

If you're an am/am couple, I can't see why it matters.  A good coach may have a preferred way of dancing, but they SHOULD have been required to learn both parts well enough to teach both without bias.
Thats a big 'should'.  I think most good coaches can teach the essentials and some natural teachers really can teach both parts but on the whole my impression is that there is nothing like doing it to understand what to teach.  Thus, an Am couple might want to take lessons from one main coach and then occasional lessons from the opposite sex.

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2013, 07:48:14 AM »

That's pretty much always been my own approach - one main coach, with others occasionally,for specific reasons (like styling,etc.)

Dona nobis pacem.
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2013, 09:31:31 AM »

I thought the traditional way is having a pair of "dance parents," a pair of minor "dance parent" (some seems to skip this part) and a lot of people the dancers visit occasionally.

Although I think many couples (even the world class/champions) only have one dance parent.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2013, 10:48:38 AM »

DP and I took lessons with a terrific male teacher here - who always worked with his female colleague and, yes, that was THE best as we would deal with both of our issues at the same time.

Oddly, it was no more expensive either - generally that would be too much to afford

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2013, 11:06:06 AM »

It's pretty common  in the AT world and even the swing world to have teaching couples.  It's a  lot less common in ballroom. I wonder why. *shrug*

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2013, 05:03:46 PM »

one dancer teaching one student = 1 fee
two dancers teaching one studnet = 1/2 fee.

I think my equations illustrate the problem...

Though DP and I have had lessons from one pro while their partner was teaching another couple and they would help each other when an opinion was needed as appropriate.  that worked very well.

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2013, 05:39:58 PM »

Hmm.  Good point.  Smiley  Of course, in the swing and AT scenarios  was thinking of, it's usually a group class being taught by the couple.  Like you, I have had experiences where a two teachers were sharing the studio and have danced together to demonstrate things for me.   That works well.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2013, 05:53:26 PM »

Hmm.  Good point.  Smiley  Of course, in the swing and AT scenarios  was thinking of, it's usually a group class being taught by the couple.  Like you, I have had experiences where a two teachers were sharing the studio and have danced together to demonstrate things for me.   That works well.
it also creates a really nice ballanced atmosphere.  As long as they get on, that is.  One studio Shocked Shocked ...

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2013, 01:41:50 AM »

Most of my teachers have been men I would like the input of a women now and then.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2013, 08:30:11 AM »

It helps a lot.

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2013, 08:40:49 AM »

have spoken with my coach and he is trying to get  a lady in.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: