partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 10:52:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116399 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  What is your gender preference when it comes to dance coach
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: What is your gender preference when it comes to dance coach  (Read 2977 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 05:27:51 AM »

I concur...gender should never be a consideration, except for if you a single person and want to dance with the teacher so you can gain more practical experience,

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 05:56:18 AM »

agreed.  however, there IS a difference in dancing that my pro put rather simply when I asked if my DP should take privates with him or his partner.  He said that either would be fine to learn dancing but that difference was that with his partner he could test drive the lesson.

And thats been my opinion - when taking by myself I MUCH prefer my regular teacher to be of the opposite sex, cause we can dance.  OTOH I also love to have the occasional lesson with a woman cause she can teach me subtleties of how to achieve the things my pro is trying to teach. 

As a couple my selfish preference is the same - I prefer a male - and interestingly I think my DP agrees because there he can always try things out with me.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 08:10:52 AM »

I think it depends very much on what you are trying to accomplice in the lesson. I have given some examples on what you might want to get from a lesson.

1) If you are trying to dance, then the opposite gender is the best.
2) If you are trying to understand the insights of your jobs, then the same gender as you would be best.
3) If you are trying to understand the other person’s jobs, then the opposite gender would be the best.
4) if you are trying to the results of action or inaction then the same gender would be best.
5) If you are trying to correct something that has to do with the man's jobs then a man would be better.
6) If you are trying to correct something that has to do with the lady's jobs then a lady would be better.

Let me give you an example. I was trained with the information of what the man's jobs are. I know then really well. I have had many lessons with my female teachers to test my execution of the man's jobs. I do dance a man jobs pretty well. I have however found that when a male student takes a lesson with my ex-dance partner they get faster, even when we do use the same words. I have always found that there are things in the lady’s jobs that just can’t be explained by a male. We are physically different and therefore work our body very different. My dance father would sometime tell me a point that ladies does and then ask me to have my dance mother explain the detail on how it is done and what it should feel like. I have also found that if I say things and totally repeat what and how my dance father or dance partner would say I see better results. There are just details that the other gender doesn’t really know about just because of physical differences.

Just my 2 cents worth….both as a student and as a teacher..

Dora-Satya Veda

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 08:30:36 AM »

I think it depends very much on what you are trying to accomplice in the lesson. I have given some examples on what you might want to get from a lesson.

1) If you are trying to dance, then the opposite gender is the best.
2) If you are trying to understand the insights of your jobs, then the same gender as you would be best.
3) If you are trying to understand the other person’s jobs, then the opposite gender would be the best.
4) if you are trying to the results of action or inaction then the same gender would be best.
5) If you are trying to correct something that has to do with the man's jobs then a man would be better.
6) If you are trying to correct something that has to do with the lady's jobs then a lady would be better.

Let me give you an example. I was trained with the information of what the man's jobs are. I know then really well. I have had many lessons with my female teachers to test my execution of the man's jobs. I do dance a man jobs pretty well. I have however found that when a male student takes a lesson with my ex-dance partner they get faster, even when we do use the same words. I have always found that there are things in the lady’s jobs that just can’t be explained by a male. We are physically different and therefore work our body very different. My dance father would sometime tell me a point that ladies does and then ask me to have my dance mother explain the detail on how it is done and what it should feel like. I have also found that if I say things and totally repeat what and how my dance father or dance partner would say I see better results. There are just details that the other gender doesn’t really know about just because of physical differences.

Just my 2 cents worth….both as a student and as a teacher..

Dora-Satya Veda
Dora sweetheart, thats not 2 cents, thats the whole federal stimulus package

Dancing with the feet is one thing, but dancing with the heart is another.
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 08:31:38 AM »

agreed.  however, there IS a difference in dancing that my pro put rather simply when I asked if my DP should take privates with him or his partner.  He said that either would be fine to learn dancing but that difference was that with his partner he could test drive the lesson.

And thats been my opinion - when taking by myself I MUCH prefer my regular teacher to be of the opposite sex, cause we can dance.  OTOH I also love to have the occasional lesson with a woman cause she can teach me subtleties of how to achieve the things my pro is trying to teach. 

As a couple my selfish preference is the same - I prefer a male - and interestingly I think my DP agrees because there he can always try things out with me.
I know of some girls that can be blokes too, they even look like them Wink

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 11:39:43 AM »

Guess you get a lot for 2 cents according to my currency. Wink

Edward Teller
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 08:54:50 PM »

Guess you get a lot for 2 cents according to my currency. Wink
cheeky

Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2009, 08:58:58 PM »

But back on topic, I do agree with DSV, the problem lies sometimes in the attitude of the student/pro towards the gender. Although this will be less when one has;
  • started dancing at a young age
  • come from a family with both genders as siblings
  • have friends of the opposite sex
  • worked in a multi gender environment
  • have been educated to respect the other gender

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2009, 10:26:02 PM »

What about their sexuality?

i.e. if you are a guy, and your teacher is a gay guy, does that bother you?  Roll Eyes
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2009, 10:43:09 PM »

What about their sexuality?

i.e. if you are a guy, and your teacher is a gay guy, does that bother you?  Roll Eyes
No not at all, in fact I don't feel uncomfortable at all if either of them (we have two pro's) grab hold on me to lead me through the steps. Their sexuality is of no concern to me, maybe because I know what my sexuality is. I am not saying that either of them is gay or not, I just don't care about it.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 11:17:14 PM by Vagabond » Logged

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2009, 11:58:13 PM »

No not at all, in fact I don't feel uncomfortable at all if either of them (we have two pro's) grab hold on me to lead me through the steps. Their sexuality is of no concern to me, maybe because I know what my sexuality is. I am not saying that either of them is gay or not, I just don't care about it.

That is a very northern European attitude. Wink

A friend of mine, calls people form northern Europe for color blind and sexual pervasion blind.

You are right that the main focus should be on the improvement of the dancing and not on gender or sexuality. I totally agree with you on this point.

Edward Teller
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2009, 01:05:32 AM »

Absoultely true, it is not about them as a person, gender, or sexual bias...it is what they can do for your dancing.
 Grin

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2009, 01:54:39 AM »

That is a very northern European attitude. Wink

A friend of mine, calls people form northern Europe for color blind and sexual pervasion blind.

You are right that the main focus should be on the improvement of the dancing and not on gender or sexuality. I totally agree with you on this point.
Thanks DSV, and I'm sorry for your friend. But we are very liberal in N-Europe, which doesn't mean we are irresponsible

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2009, 10:59:28 AM »

Thanks DSV, and I'm sorry for your friend. But we are very liberal in N-Europe, which doesn't mean we are irresponsible

What my friend meant was that when he meets people from N-Europe, he was for the first time, not judged on his sexual preference. He felt free and equal. He said that it felt as if we were blind to that kind of differences. He said that for the first time he felt very safe and free to be himself.

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2009, 12:54:46 PM »

I think it was your use of the word 'perversions' that made it look like he was anti-gay DSV - that word has become a very hot-potato and synonomous with bigotry in NA usage. 

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: