partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 05:32:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  What is your gender preference when it comes to dance coach
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: What is your gender preference when it comes to dance coach  (Read 3261 times)
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« on: April 16, 2009, 06:08:19 AM »

Well I'm a male, and only had male coaches. Not really a preference thing, just by chance.
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 06:14:18 AM »

Well, all of my coaches have been couples - there's been a woman and a man teaching together.
I guess I prefer to be taught by a woman, with a little input from a man, but it doesn't matter all that much as long as they can teach.
ThisIsNotMe
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 07:17:26 AM »

I've had both ways, and found both have their advantages and disadvantages.  My current teacher is male, and I find that his teaching style "clicks" with me in a way that the female coaches' I've had hasn't.  In saying that, I learned a lot more about styling etc from my last female teacher, and a lot more technical stuff from the current male one.  The big difference really is the teaching styles.  This teacher is not afraid to physically show you, and move you through a movement to show you how it should "feel", what is technically right; whereas the other teacher was a big believer in showing something herself, and having you copy.  So a lot of the time, I ended up with stuff that "looked" right, but was pretty fundamentally wrong.
This hasn't really answered the question though...my answer would be "depends on the circumstance", but seeing as that's not an option, I'll choose the "doesn't matter to me"
waltzelf
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 07:41:24 AM »

I have both male and female coaches, and it really doesn't register with me. A good coach knows how both roles work, and will teach accordingly.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 12:22:43 PM »

I prefer to have at least one of each. I like the male in order to get the man’s point of view and the female in order to get a women point of view. I was actually told to have a family around me (a “father”, a “mother”, “aunts” and “uncles”). This way I was able to get the most and best care that one could ask/wish for. 

Dora-Satya Veda

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 02:56:27 PM »

I generally prefer a female instructor.  The reason is simple: I do the bulk of my dancing with women, and leading a male instructor just isn't quite the same.  Having said that, I do now and then take lessons from a male instructor, in order to get a different perspective.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 04:30:53 PM »

Im the opposite (hence the same) as cornut.  I prefer a male coach as the standard - but I have to have a female one too from time to time.  The male one teaches me what he wants and how to do it.  The female one how its done.  These are not the same thing: how to do it is the formal method and works fine most of the time.  however, how its done gives you the nuances and tricks to really do it well.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 09:21:38 PM »

The male one teaches me what he wants and how to do it.  The female one how its done.  These are not the same thing: how to do it is the formal method and works fine most of the time.  however, how its done gives you the nuances and tricks to really do it well.

Well said.  That was close to what I wanted to say, but I couldn't come up with the words. 
malakawa
Open Bronze

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 11:35:03 PM »

I prefer to have at least one of each. I like the male in order to get the man’s point of view and the female in order to get a women point of view. I was actually told to have a family around me (a “father”, a “mother”, “aunts” and “uncles”). This way I was able to get the most and best care that one could ask/wish for. 

Dora-Satya Veda

right here with yaa.  Grin

Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels.

It takes an athlete to dance, but an artist to be a dancer.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 01:45:06 AM »

Whoever can give clear instruction and guidance is good. Although if I were a single girl I would want a male coach that I can actually dance with.

Otherwise I just want the best I can afford :-)

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 04:26:44 AM »

Well said.  That was close to what I wanted to say, but I couldn't come up with the words. 

Smiley  Kiss

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 01:19:02 AM »

One of each.  I think you need to add that to the poll.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 06:12:08 AM »

As far as gender preference goes wouldn't that go in the 'don't care' R? 

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 10:49:32 PM »

Don't care could mean you don't care "if" its a male or a female.  I think its important that you "do" have the opinion of "both".

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 10:42:44 PM »

Hmm tricky but I think that gender should never be a consideration, as long as the teacher knows what he/she is talking about and is able to give a holistic approach towards gender. it is my opinion that man aren't better or worse than woman and vice versa.

As in other theatres of lecture, it is the ability of the teacher to connect to its students that should matter not her/his gender.

I have had coaches in a wide range of sports both female and male and if I didn't like the way they approached me as a human being, I looked for someone else

Dancing with the feet is one thing, but dancing with the heart is another.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: