partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 09:56:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Argentine Tango (Moderators: captain jep, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Tango Orquestras
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tango Orquestras  (Read 1573 times)
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« on: April 16, 2009, 04:32:32 AM »

Last night I went to see orquesta fernandez fierro.

While totally undanceable these guys were wonderful to watch;

like Piazzolla on acid and between sets a humorous banter in broken English and Spanish with the audience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r77TzgjJ7Tg

http://www.fernandezfierro.com

so if you have danced to or seen a live band post it here!

BTM

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
captain jep
Bronze

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 05:11:36 AM »

Yes they were taking something that was danceable and twisting it enough that you would think Nah, lets not bother ...  where did you see them?

I also liked the fact that you couldnt see them for half of the YT vid!  Smiley

The best band I saw last year was Otros Aires in London (in March) - they were fab.

Was thinking about past bands and there was one I saw in BA that was "marginally danceable". At Villa Malcolm, mostly bongo drums and oboe (?), as I remember it. Ive got a short clip of them which Ive just uploaded in your honour !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyue_7bM3AQ

Do not go gently into that good night ...
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 05:29:10 AM »

i SAW them at the Warwick Arts centre; their cds seem to indicate that they do play other possibly danceable stuff, but seem hard to get in the UK; their cds were going like hot cakes last night.

BTM

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
captain jep
Bronze

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 08:14:37 AM »

Reading my post back it sounds like Im taking the mick . Sorry I wasnt intending to - they sound like they would be fun to listen to - especially if you knew the basic tunes and could appreciate their musicianship!

Been a while since I heard an orchestra. Well one that wasnt Los Mareados that is  Wink

David Bailey
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 01:47:18 PM »

The best band I saw last year was Otros Aires in London (in March) - they were fab.
Hey, I was there! Clapham, right?

Fantastic atmosphere, and it was amazing - in a good way - to dance in such a squashed-up floor.

In comparison, Gotan project a couple of years ago (Hammersmith) were rubbish - no atmosphere, no dancers, just a boring gig with muggles swaying around. Total waste of time.
captain jep
Bronze

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 01:56:16 PM »

Yep Clapham. I remember having to dance defensively but at a certain point I just went, s*d it and went for it. Much better after that  Grin

I also remember the floor was a bit like the Saturday Night Fever floor - coloured squares.

Some friends went to Bajofondo not too long ago and enjoyed it. They were able to get up on stage at one point. Couldnt dance though.

David Bailey
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 02:01:30 PM »

Yep Clapham. I remember having to dance defensively but at a certain point I just went, s*d it and went for it. Much better after that  Grin
Well, I had to rescue my companion from being chatted up by a(nother) woman, but apart from that I was dancing all the time Smiley

The absolute worst band I've heard was the Aureliano Tango Club, last October at Negracha's - totally undanceable. MsH did a review here: http://mshedgehog.blogspot.com/2008/10/negracha-wild-court.html
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 05:41:04 AM »

you should watch out for this duo playing somehwre in London in May

( see tango uk group)

http://www.mazaika-music.com/

they played in Ludlow two years ago and they lend a bit of Russian spice to tango music and he's a good singer ; easier on the ear than some of the the so called "Golden Era" crooners or groaners as they sound to me ( goes outside to cuss & spit)

captain jep
Bronze

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 05:35:15 PM »

Seen the post in the yahoo e-group? Apparently OFF were playing at the barbican , and they put too much reverb on the bass - people were coming out with their ears ringing ...  Smiley

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 05:26:55 PM »

yeah i saw that. what a shame. i enjoyed the gig but not danceable.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: