partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 12:23:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116449 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Changing Community Perceptions
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Author Topic: Changing Community Perceptions  (Read 4599 times)
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2010, 03:19:24 AM »

Good idea.  Good luck with it and hopefully it is a success.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2010, 02:49:56 PM »

good for you Q...
and tell them about PDO while you are at it Cheesy

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2010, 05:09:01 AM »

good for you Q...
and tell them about PDO while you are at it Cheesy

If I can slip it in..... Shocked

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2010, 09:35:14 AM »

I've been on the DWTS forums a bit, and on one of the off-topic dancing topics, I mentioned PDO. One of them said she'd check it out, but I don't know if she has yet.

Also, the Uni that DP and I are going to doesn't have a ballroom dance club...we're thinking of starting one. Build up a bunch of younger competitors and take them to medallist comps.

We'd have to get someone to coach them properly...DP and I can't, but I can see it working.
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2010, 10:57:23 AM »

Who made the decision that you and DP can't teach?  It's the best way to learn.  When I first started to volunteer at the university clubs I felt like I was in no position to impart my little knowledge on anybody.  I felt like people would laugh if they heard that I was out there creating more dancers.  It was thanks to many people, most of them on PDO, that I was convinced that teaching would be not only good for the students wanting to learn the joy of dancing, but also it would help me out tremendously.  The PDO folks also convinced me that if someone asked you to teach (or you offered and they were open to learning what you had to teach) your teaching then becomes their choice.  You didn't force it on them and you didn't trick them into thinking that you knew it all.  Furthermore, they only want to learn what you have to teach.  Not what you wished you had to teach.      

My own way of talking myself into it was that I was doing it for free, so the students couldn't expect anything too great.   Grin  If they wanted to make a donation towards my lessons, then by all means, that becomes their choice too.  Unfortunately, at the moment, they only feel like reimbursing my parking fee.    

So if you only teach them what you learn it will be terrific for both of you.  My partner was reading the other day in one of her medical books that if you sit in a classroom, you learn about 20% of what you try to learn.  If you teach what you were taught, you retain 80% to 90% of it.  That seems like a pretty good reason to start teaching Lioness.  
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 10:59:46 AM by Some guy » Logged
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2010, 07:36:14 PM »

I don't particularly want to teach...I've experienced first hand the massive amounts of incorrect technique I've obtained from a not-so-accomplished teacher, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I'm not even out of my levels yet...still silver, with only a small knowledge of figures and technique. There would reach a point where we'd be learning exactly what they were, and like I said, not my idea of teaching.

If we eventually start doing higher levels of dancing, then perhaps, but I really don't feel any sort of qualified at the moment.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2010, 02:34:49 AM »

Here an amateur can't teach anyone, not even without being paid.  Its the most short-sighted rule on the book because who else is going to get the new dancers interested than fellow dancers? 

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2010, 02:57:31 AM »

I've been on the DWTS forums a bit, and on one of the off-topic dancing topics, I mentioned PDO. One of them said she'd check it out, but I don't know if she has yet.

Also, the Uni that DP and I are going to doesn't have a ballroom dance club...we're thinking of starting one. Build up a bunch of younger competitors and take them to medallist comps.

We'd have to get someone to coach them properly...DP and I can't, but I can see it working.

Is that Adelaide>? I have got someone looking into it....nd having an Inter Unversity competition. We have a high ranking dancer just started doing Dentistry and he is keen to do something. His instruction is fantastic, so if he can support the club you are clucky. perhaps I can join also!

Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2010, 03:04:10 AM »

I see pros and cons to making rules on teaching, as Lioness says I have also gone to a teacher that does not know the techqinue well enough to tech high level dancing as they try to do.

but I beleive you can offer instruction to a beginner in basics. If they have a passion for it you guide them to someone that can teach them more.

I find I often get compliments on my very simple instrcutions, I seem to be able to explain things that they understand.

but I do want to get a qualifcation to teach so I feel I am offering them the right way to learn according to Dancesport rules.

Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2010, 04:26:51 AM »

Is that Adelaide>? I have got someone looking into it....nd having an Inter Unversity competition. We have a high ranking dancer just started doing Dentistry and he is keen to do something. His instruction is fantastic, so if he can support the club you are clucky. perhaps I can join also!

Yep, it is.
And an inter-uni comp would be fantastic. I think both DP and I are preferencing Adelaide, so with luck we'll both get in. I'll probably get in easy (I mean, arts degree?), however DP may have a little more difficulty (Biomed)
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2010, 07:09:03 AM »

With regards to starting a dancesport at uni and teaching as the sole teacher, I recommend you get someone who holds a DSA level 1 qualification or above. You can certainly assist in teaching classes, but organizing the whole club is a bit deal. Also there are certain regulations to health and safety, so an appropriatly qualified person should be present in class.

yes there is someone that has started at our University that is a top class dancer that is DSA accredited. I thop he will take up the challenge and I can help if he needs me to. but it would be great.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 04:04:56 AM by QPO » Logged
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2010, 04:05:27 AM »

With regards to starting a dancesport at uni and teaching as the sole teacher, I recommend you get someone who holds a DSA level 1 qualification or above. You can certainly assist in teaching classes, but organizing the whole club is a bit deal. Also there are certain regulations to health and safety, so an appropriatly qualified person should be present in class.

yes there is someone that has started at our University that is a top class dancer that is DSA accredited. I thop he will take up the challenge and I can help if he needs me to. but it would be great.

Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2010, 05:09:14 AM »

Aren't you at UniSA though? That still leaves Adelaide needing a qualified instructor
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2010, 07:04:07 AM »

Aren't you at UniSA though? That still leaves Adelaide needing a qualified instructor

Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2010, 07:04:49 AM »

No I am at Adelaide Uni.. V is at UNISA

Dance Forum
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: