partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 06:27:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116186 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Exhibition and Showcase Dancing
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Exhibition and Showcase Dancing  (Read 4591 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2010, 04:57:05 AM »

In 10 years of serious dancing I've never done a showcase!  It correlates with 10 yrs of working with independent instructors - no home studio, no showcase environment.   Also, we seem to be always working for the next competition - sounds like fun...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2010, 05:03:27 AM »

DP's dad wants us to do a showcase for his work, so it looks like our break from competition will be filled up with showcase. That will be interesting...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2010, 05:59:32 AM »

Could be a lot of fun too  - and maybe a nice way to connect with Dad Wink

skipper
Bronze

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2010, 02:10:46 PM »

Showcases are so much fun to do! We always use the "meat"of our com routines and add a beginning and an end. I love the fact that since I know the music, it allows me to work on my musicality.
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 10:21:31 PM »

DW and I danced an old cha-cha routine in our studio's showcase last Saturday.  It was actually the first routine we ever learned... nine years ago!  It was old enough that we had the choreo on video tape instead of DVD.  And when we tried to play it back, the tape started shedding...  Shocked  I got it dubbed to DVD with only the first 10 seconds or so lost, and the important bit -- where we danced it all the way through, to the music -- was still intact.  And, miracle of miracles, I still had the music on my computer (two disk drive replacements later).  Watching that tape was really cringe-inducing; we had been dancing less than a year at that point, and my technique was atrocious.  Plus, I was pretty overweight then. 

We had a week to re-learn a routine we hadn't done in nine years.  We didn't get all the way through without major screwups until Thursday.   Shocked  There was one bit that I never did learn properly the first time around -- it's got three swivels to close and a triple-step spin in a quick sequence.  I practiced the heck out of that during lunch on Friday; I went to the company's picnic pavillion, which has a smooth concrete floor, put on dance sneakers and had at it.  So I was finally able to do it well during dress rehearsal Saturday afternoon.  We had a couple of timing glitches that we didn't get worked out until warm-ups just before the doors opened.

An interesting note: The studio was in a different building then.  The dance floor in that building was long and narrow, and the audience all sat along one long side.  As originally choreographed, my DW started at a mark near the center of the floor, and after she did some preliminary moves, I entered from offstage at stage left and danced my way to her.  However, in the studio we're in now, the floor is larger and closer to square, and the main audience seating is along a short side.  The offstage area is at the opposite end of the floor from the audience.  I tried doing my entry from back there, but it was too far away -- I have a specific set of steps I have to dance during the entry.  So what I wound up doing was taking an audience seat along the left side.  I was going to try to pretend to be a spectator and then jump out of my seat and surprise everyone, but as it turned out most of the audience already knew me, so no one was surprised.  Nonetheless, it was fun.  If we ever dance that anywhere else, where people don't know me, I might start out disguised as an old man.   Grin
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 04:03:42 AM »

Sounds like a heap of fun - I hope you got it video'd.  Floor shape issues is a perennial problem for us competitors too - but its one thing that keeps us honest since we have to adapt to each new environment and can't get locked into a rigid routine (which would be just doing showcases Wink ). 

And I'm sure you could not fool anyone as the old man Tongue!

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2010, 10:13:31 PM »

Video up next week, once the DVDs get done.   Cool
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2010, 10:48:42 PM »

...I'll get the popcorn.... Cheesy Cheesy

dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2010, 06:09:40 PM »

I did my performance with my instructor last Friday night. It was Jive. I had fun and my instructor told me that he really liked and had fun himself too.

I enjoyed not only the performance but also the process of preparing.

I bought a $39 dress from H&M, and glued the rhinestones. Then, I made a nice corsage with feathers and rhinestones. The dress turned out to be great, and got a lot of compliments from people.

Well, it was good experience.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2010, 06:42:06 PM »

Congrats!!  It takes a lot of couraget to put yourself out there.  Come to think of it, I've only done one showcase ever!

dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2010, 08:10:09 PM »

Congrats!!  It takes a lot of couraget to put yourself out there.  Come to think of it, I've only done one showcase ever!

That's true. I did a few performances before, but not like this one. I felt like I wanted to do it this time, not like the previous ones by someone's requests or pressures. I did my first performance which was group paso, but I replaced someone who did not show up on time for the performance. The funny thing was the second one was the same. It was swing, but they were short with one lady, so I was asked to do it 30minutes before the show. My third one was asked by a teacher who wanted to do a small performance to promote(?) his west coast swing class.

But, this time, of course, my instructor asked me first, but I wanted to do it. And, I prepared and practiced for the performance. I don't know if it was the reason or not, but I did not get nervous that much.  Smiley

dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2010, 08:43:49 PM »

I am not sure if I can ask the question here, but has anyone done showdance or exhibition category in competitions?  It seems that I will do my first competition in October and my teacher asked me if we can do the showdance category as well. It seems that it is a part of competition and I would like to know how it is done.  Smiley
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 11:37:43 PM by dlgodud » Logged
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2010, 10:49:58 PM »

Certainly.  In pro am you can do just about any two compeittions as long as they are not at the same time!  Some comps keep you winin one or two steps (so you can't do bronze and gold for example) but other wise there are few rules.  The nice thing about showcase is that you are the only couple on the floor - so no collisions.  Also at many comps the judges will give you feedback on your dancing. 

dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2010, 04:16:40 PM »

Also at many comps the judges will give you feedback on your dancing. 

This sounds good. But, I don't exactly know how it could be happened compared to the other categories.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2010, 09:29:24 PM »

The difference is that you are on alone so they have the time to note critiques - why not check to see if the comp you are going to does this?  It could be very useful and worth the entry...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: