partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 12:01:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Exhibition and Showcase Dancing
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Exhibition and Showcase Dancing  (Read 5603 times)
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2010, 09:42:44 PM »

The difference is that you are on alone so they have the time to note critiques - why not check to see if the comp you are going to does this?  It could be very useful and worth the entry...

They do. That's why I am asking. My teacher asked me if we could do the showdance category in addition to the regular comp.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2010, 06:31:16 AM »

I'm a bit confused - you mean do they do written critiques? ...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2010, 10:38:46 AM »

I'm a bit confused - you mean do they do written critiques? ...

No. They just have showdance category, that's what I mean. I am not sure about the written critiques.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2010, 01:45:46 PM »

...so... ask.  I was trying to say that if they do, it would probably be worth the entry cost in itself...

dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2010, 03:24:28 PM »

not sure. what you actually try to tell me. i have never heard any competition that gives out the written critiques to competitor. have you?
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2010, 08:02:57 PM »

Yes, thats what I was saying.  Some do for showcases.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2011, 04:10:10 AM »

This is amazing...
http://eandgdance.webs.com/apps/videos/videos/show/14113938-sytycd-immortal-beloved#.TiyYY4eOJnc.facebook

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2011, 11:38:56 PM »

I'll post videos from our last showcase in the next few days.  I need to dub the audio first -- it's almost impossible to hear the music from the audio that the camera's built-in mic picked up.
cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2011, 12:41:13 PM »

Regarding the video link posted earlier: yes it's amazing. But to tell you the truth, I don't think it's half as good as many of the contestants on the show dancing their own showdances. For example Melanie and Caitlynn dancing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXZwYx_4izg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8OZdQfivoI

Personally these two performances are so much more meaningful to me, they strike an emotional response. Whereas the Eric Luna video, I was aghast at how beautiful it was gymnastically and theatrically, but i didn't feel anything at all down in my gut. It was technically flawless and powerful and dramatic and breathtaking (she's flying!) but it didn't really tell a story or strike a chord with me. Plus she's what? 90lbs soaking wet? It was amazing, but to me it wasn't dancing, it was more gymnastic.

The other two performances, well, I felt something move inside me.

"There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them."
~Vicki Baum
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2011, 11:39:06 PM »

not sure. what you actually try to tell me. i have never heard any competition that gives out the written critiques to competitor. have you?

We have comps around here that have solo-performance categories where you dance a show routine, by yourself on the floor and with music of your choice, and you are graded on that.  Your grading does indeed include a written critique. 
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2011, 09:53:32 AM »

We have comps around here that have solo-performance categories where you dance a show routine, by yourself on the floor and with music of your choice, and you are graded on that.  Your grading does indeed include a written critique. 

I thought that was the norm for showcases - why you pay the big bucks... Wink

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2011, 03:34:17 AM »

We have a friend having a Birthday Party tomorrow and he is having a special showcase, it is all hush hush so we are trying  to work out who he got to come and dace for him. I know it will be standard as that is what he likes. V has to tape it for him. Should be a fun afternoon/evening starts at 4.00pm  Shocked

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2011, 01:46:18 PM »

Hmm, maybe it's a terminology thing.  As the term is used around here, "showcase" refers to an event that is put on solely for entertainment; it is not judged at all.  "Solo" is a category in a comp in which only one couple is on the floor at a time (it doesn't mean you dance by yourself).
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2011, 03:55:24 PM »

Hmm, maybe it's a terminology thing.  As the term is used around here, "showcase" refers to an event that is put on solely for entertainment; it is not judged at all.  "Solo" is a category in a comp in which only one couple is on the floor at a time (it doesn't mean you dance by yourself).

Its context here - the term is used for a show dance (non comp) but in a competition as a show-dance with only one couple on the floor at a time.  The ritual is that chairs are brought on for the judges at one end of the floor and the showcases are in essence performed for them.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2012, 08:32:34 AM »

Sunday I do two showcases - one waltz and one tango and each 2 minutes long.  We've had all of 10 days to create and learn them AND its my first time doing either smooth (american style) in half of the former and argentine tango in half of the latter.  Insane?  Yup but its going to be a chance to test my BoS skills - I can't possibly learn the routines so like it or not its going to be lead follow.

Trouble is there are a few passages that really are not 'followable' - leg kicks and such.  I'll just have to have a sense of humour I think.  No time for exotic costumes either so I hope it doesn't come accross as amateur even for an amateur Undecided

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: