partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 10:35:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116386 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Exhibition and Showcase Dancing
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Exhibition and Showcase Dancing  (Read 5037 times)
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« on: April 22, 2010, 09:05:07 PM »

I'm launching this thread to be a general-purpose area for discussion of exhibition, showcase, and other forms of non-competitive performance ballroom dancing (including theater arts).  If you're looking for my discussion of the routine that I started working on this week, I'm going to put that in my blog area.  

Here's a start: My instructor and I are starting this routine.  It's probably going to have several lifts.  She is insisting that we aren't working on the lifts until I get a back brace, for practicing with.  What kind of back brace does one use for this?  I don't want something that will inhibit sway or upper body rotation.
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 09:25:24 PM »

We're currently trying to re-learn/remember our cha-cha showcase and make it competeable in 2 weeks for David Medeiros' mini-comp on May 8.  Pray for us. Roll Eyes
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 10:00:59 PM »

I've only done one showcase ever - and that was just my ballroom routine Undecided.  I have, however, had a number of ideas for them - maybe when i stop competing Smiley
ee

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 11:12:23 PM »

We're currently trying to re-learn/remember our cha-cha showcase and make it competeable in 2 weeks for David Medeiros' mini-comp on May 8.  Pray for us. Roll Eyes

I had a routine last year with one of our previous instructors (Naomi Alexander -- I don't recall if you met her or not, MC).  In the course of putting it together, we tried about a dozen different endings.  We did it the first time in public as a solo in a comp in Birmingham.  Then, several months later, we decided to revive it for a showcase... and we couldn't remember which ending we had used!  And of course there was no video from the comp. 
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 11:30:09 PM »

I've only done one showcase ever - and that was just my ballroom routine Undecided.  I have, however, had a number of ideas for them - maybe when i stop competing Smiley
ee

Why wait?  I think showcases/showdances help your comp dancing.  And besides, showdance entries at comps can be a lot of fun--and they're the only time when you get official, written comments from the judges (at least here in the US).  And at some comps they're even a scholarship.

I had a routine last year with one of our previous instructors (Naomi Alexander -- I don't recall if you met her or not, MC).  In the course of putting it together, we tried about a dozen different endings.  We did it the first time in public as a solo in a comp in Birmingham.  Then, several months later, we decided to revive it for a showcase... and we couldn't remember which ending we had used!  And of course there was no video from the comp. 

Don't think I met her.  LOL, lucky for us there's a couple videos of the routine.  It's just a process of remembering the routine and how we danced it, and rehearsing like mad for the next 2 weeks.  Oh, and there's a few things we have to revamp, so we have to work on that.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 02:43:02 AM »

ee

Why wait?  I think showcases/showdances help your comp dancing.  And besides, showdance entries at comps can be a lot of fun--and they're the only time when you get official, written comments from the judges (at least here in the US).  And at some comps they're even a scholarship.

/quote]

Time.  We have way to much to do to get our competition dancing up to par to do showcases right now but maybe in a year or two that will be a way to add the 'show' element to our dancing and it will have double benefits...

MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 07:46:12 AM »

Um, I'm a bronze dancer and I do showcases.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 12:15:30 PM »

Its not about dance 'level' - its about goals and the intensity you are dedicating.  Right now I have a DP who is as passionate about improving in competition dance as I am - its the chance of a lifetime for me...

MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 01:10:25 PM »

And I'm saying it doesn't have to be either/or, especially when you have the opportunity to practice as much as you do.  Showcases don't detract from your competition dancing, they improve it (and as I mentioned, you can be competitive with showdances too, and get specific comments from the judges that you can use for general comp dancing).  Showcases improve your musicality, your subtlety, your performance ability, reduce nerves/improve confidence on the floor, and give you practice with your pre-comp routine (practicing, hair/makeup, costuming, etc.).  I wish people would stop thinking that showcases are something that only people who don't have competition aspirations or aren't very good dancers do.  In fact, if you're more of a music-oriented person (like alba was continually harping on), showcases can be a better option than competing.  It doesn't mean you're any less dedicated to or serious about your dancing.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 01:53:04 PM »

And I'm saying it doesn't have to be either/or, especially when you have the opportunity to practice as much as you do.  Showcases don't detract from your competition dancing, they improve it (and as I mentioned, you can be competitive with showdances too, and get specific comments from the judges that you can use for general comp dancing).  Showcases improve your musicality, your subtlety, your performance ability, reduce nerves/improve confidence on the floor, and give you practice with your pre-comp routine (practicing, hair/makeup, costuming, etc.).  I wish people would stop thinking that showcases are something that only people who don't have competition aspirations or aren't very good dancers do.  In fact, if you're more of a music-oriented person (like alba was continually harping on), showcases can be a better option than competing.  It doesn't mean you're any less dedicated to or serious about your dancing.

I don't disagree with you one iota - indeed I am sure you are right.  Its just not for me right now - my plate is full (and I like what I am eating Wink ).

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 02:43:09 PM »

Its not about dance 'level' - its about goals and the intensity you are dedicating.  Right now I have a DP who is as passionate about improving in competition dance as I am - its the chance of a lifetime for me...

And you want to hang onto him as the two of you are great together.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 02:47:31 PM »

Its not about dance 'level' - its about goals and the intensity you are dedicating.  Right now I have a DP who is as passionate about improving in competition dance as I am - its the chance of a lifetime for me...

And you want to hang onto him as the two of you are great together.
Thanks R.  As for us all, I suppose, sometimes I need to be reminded ....

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 12:52:56 AM »

We have yet to do showcase dancing but will learn to adapt one of our routines to do a showcase. I think some schools focus on it more than others... but great for making people come out of their shell. Cool

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 04:27:37 PM »

One of the things I enjoy about showcase dancing is the opportunity to choose your music, and then develop a deliberate artistic statement in relation to it.  This is something you don't get to do in either social or competitive dancing, where you get a piece of music thrown at you and you have to do something with it on the fly.  Last year, my DW and I waltzed to the Satie piece that I recorded my own version of.  This year, my instructor and I chose a strong piece of music that is danceable but mood-wise is not something that would ever be played on a Friday night, and it's far too long to be used at a comp. 
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 07:44:08 PM »

One of the things I enjoy about showcase dancing is the opportunity to choose your music, and then develop a deliberate artistic statement in relation to it.  This is something you don't get to do in either social or competitive dancing, where you get a piece of music thrown at you and you have to do something with it on the fly.  Last year, my DW and I waltzed to the Satie piece that I recorded my own version of.  This year, my instructor and I chose a strong piece of music that is danceable but mood-wise is not something that would ever be played on a Friday night, and it's far too long to be used at a comp. 

This. 100%.  C, sometimes you and I share a brain.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: