partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 12:47:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116438 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Dance predators
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Dance predators  (Read 1759 times)
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 02:41:27 PM »

I don't think of these people as predators but rather desperate to be able to accomplish something with few avenues available to achieve it. 

Think of it this way:

A)  you want to compete
B)  your at a level where the pickings are very slim
C)  you feel time is of the essence due to age, physical ability or both
D)  you have tried out people or looked around with no success
E)  another competition season is starting and you feel lthat once again you are going to be watching instead of participating
F)  you think that if you don't find someone soon everyone will be taken

With all this in mind you now may find yourself facing three more options.

1)  you see a couple that may be on shakey ground so do you do the right thing and wait and see what happens.
2)  do you take the chance that someone else may be noticing the same thing but approaches the person before you and so snaps them up first because you hesitated.
3)  or men do you do what most ladies do and and check with friends who know the couple rather than putting your neck on the lline, foot in your mouth and create bad feelings and be called a predator.  Ladies do the checking underground and so the couple never know that their situation was being scoped out (nor does the ladies current partner if they have one they are thinking of trading in) and the world is still at peace.  Another reason why women should rule the world.  Grin       

Well anyway put yourself in this person's place and you may be surprised that all of a sudden you just may be desperate enough to become a Predator too.

(Just don't fight the Aliens and make another sequal though, okay).   

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 02:49:07 PM »

I think you are totally right.  Beside, if someone leaves when approached by a new person - then that partnership was in trouble already. 

Remarkably similar to life partners n'est pas?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2013, 08:37:30 PM »

I think it's heinous to go prospecting for a partner in somebody else's partnership -- in life or in dance. Not to mention that, if you are a dance predator and you achieve your goal, how are you going to feel, every time your new (usurped) partnership hits a rough patch?  Like your partner's going to leave you.  (again in life as in dance.)   But then that's what you get.  If you don't respect someone else's partnership, why should other people respect yours?

And yes.  Unfounded jealousy is a bore.  I didn't hear that in the first post though.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 08:38:27 PM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 05:09:17 AM »

But it takes two to tango (sorry) - you can't be a predator unless someone agrees to be prey Wink

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 05:44:11 AM »

True.  And I am only in control of what I do, not what others do.  I can choose to be a predator or not.   they can choose to be prey or not.

ETA: Mostly true.  You can't be a successful predator unless someone agrees to be prey. I've seen plenty of predatory behavior, in dance and in non-dance life.  Some of it is received well; some is rebuffed.   Both people have choices. IMV, if ones dance partnership is not going well, talk to the existing partner and resolve things first.  then either choose to reinvest yourself in the existing partnership or end the existing partnership and move on with a clean slate.

There's nothing wrong with moving on.  It's the prowling about in other people's gardens that I find repugnant. (Mixed metaphor acknowledged and embraced.  I've gotta be me.  Grin )
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 05:57:40 AM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 05:34:34 AM »

Good point.  Predators don't stop being such just because there are no prey around they are vultures circling their waggons (hey, I was looking for another mixed metaphor!) Roll Eyes

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: