partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 08:01:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116186 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Dancing From "Head" To Toe
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Dancing From "Head" To Toe  (Read 3283 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2010, 09:56:48 PM »

Somehow I think its all right [shaking head up and down.. good lead..]

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2010, 10:50:14 AM »

LOL!!!
drj
Bronze

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2010, 06:09:05 PM »

My two cents:

drj, don't change a thing.  I personally love the hair-trigger followers.  I used to HATE IT when I was a "bad" lead, and I LOVE it now, not that I'm a good lead by any stretch of the imagination, but because it teaches me when my lead is wrong.  A lady that is so responsive is completely unforgiving... and I LOVE it.  Sure, it gets really frustrating to be reminded that if I so much as breathe in the wrong direction it's going to 'cause undesirable consequences.  It's very humbling and most men can't handle that.  I know because I couldn't for the longest time and I can see that happen all around me all the time.  

Elise, in the contra-check, if you have to fight the feeling that you want to turn your head right it's usually because the man hasn't settled into his right side (he still has too much energy through his left side which is forcing you to feed off that and turn your head right).    

I can control the lady's head as to whether it turns left or right.  If she fights that feeling, there is a strong potential for neck and back injuries. It's very much to do with the man, and a lady who resists that is free to interpret the head change, but then it's up to the man to "follow" that to make things more comfortable and minimize injury.  

Of course, I could be all wrong, but so far it's worked out great for me.  

I.Must.Dance.With.You. Must. <bats eyelashes and contemplates driving to Wherever Some Guy Is>  Not to mention, you must meet my instructor. You and he will get along like a house afire. BTW, he tells me that I am most leaders' worst nightmare: an educated follower, which I gather is what you mean when you say "unforgiving". I beg to differ. I'm most leaders' worst nightmare: a follower who has half an idea what she's doing.  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 06:15:03 PM by drj » Logged

ancora imparo
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2010, 07:55:29 PM »

Get In Line honey...

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2010, 08:34:20 PM »

My students often get upset when I go where they are putting me Wink. It does really make them aware of what they are doing but it is a brutal way of showing them.

I do think a man that has a partner that is either as SG put it "unforgiving" or as is truly right to say "doing her job", will become a great initiator.

My partner hated that I didn’t know steps as I would do exactly what he initiated me to do. He was however soon after he started with me, complimented by many of our female teachers on, how much he had improved his initiation. Now was that an coincidence or what……I don’t know Tongue Wink Grin

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2010, 08:46:21 PM »

My partner goes crazy when I explain that what I do is actually not up to me, but up to him.  He goes crazy - but he also would not have it any other way Undecided

[did you see my 'lower to move' topic?
http://partnerdanceonline.com/index.php?topic=1513.0]

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2010, 08:59:50 PM »

No, I haven't seen that yet. I will go there now.

Edward Teller
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2010, 11:11:27 PM »

My students often get upset when I go where they are putting me Wink.

At one point a few years ago, I slowly became aware that my instructor was following some things that I wasn't actually leading very well.  We had been dancing together long enough that she had become accustomed to some idiosyncrasies in my leading; she knew what I meant to do, and so she followed it.  I had to tell her, "Stop doing me so many favors!"  I regretted that for a while.  Wink  But it did make me a better dancer.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2010, 11:27:23 PM »

At one point a few years ago, I slowly became aware that my instructor was following some things that I wasn't actually leading very well.  We had been dancing together long enough that she had become accustomed to some idiosyncrasies in my leading; she knew what I meant to do, and so she followed it.  I had to tell her, "Stop doing me so many favors!"  I regretted that for a while.  Wink  But it did make me a better dancer.

Good teachers do learn to cover for their students. This is a very important skill when dancing in Pro/Am competitions. It is however not a benefit to the student in the long run. It does take a great man to admit that what you are leading is not what you really wanted and to learn from it. You did yourself a great favor to tell her not to save you. Well done. I am sure your dancing really improved after that.

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2010, 04:09:09 AM »

Pro leads do the same thing - and it can make the AM think that no other man is as good as her pro because they can't lead the step (that the pro is tweaking for her).

samina
Silver

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2010, 12:35:07 PM »

My two cents:

drj, don't change a thing.  I personally love the hair-trigger followers.  I used to HATE IT when I was a "bad" lead, and I LOVE it now, not that I'm a good lead by any stretch of the imagination, but because it teaches me when my lead is wrong.  A lady that is so responsive is completely unforgiving... and I LOVE it.  Sure, it gets really frustrating to be reminded that if I so much as breathe in the wrong direction it's going to 'cause undesirable consequences.  It's very humbling and most men can't handle that.  I know because I couldn't for the longest time and I can see that happen all around me all the time.  

Elise, in the contra-check, if you have to fight the feeling that you want to turn your head right it's usually because the man hasn't settled into his right side (he still has too much energy through his left side which is forcing you to feed off that and turn your head right).    

I can control the lady's head as to whether it turns left or right.  If she fights that feeling, there is a strong potential for neck and back injuries. It's very much to do with the man, and a lady who resists that is free to interpret the head change, but then it's up to the man to "follow" that to make things more comfortable and minimize injury.  

Of course, I could be all wrong, but so far it's worked out great for me.  

which I gather is what you mean when you say "unforgiving". I beg to differ. I'm most leaders' worst nightmare: a follower who has half an idea what she's doing.  Embarrassed
i have a feeling SG means something along the lines of unforgiving followers being so sensitive and intuitive that they instantly reflect poor, chaotic, or unclear leads. Smiley
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2010, 02:39:13 PM »

You're quite right Samina!   Cheesy
samina
Silver

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2010, 02:54:32 PM »

you're like a high-performance vehicle, drj! what's your fave... a lamborghini? Smiley Cool
drj
Bronze

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2010, 05:25:44 PM »

me. a lamborghini. hahahahaha

more like a mercedes coupe, one that handles, but needs a tune up  Wink

ancora imparo
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2010, 06:49:35 PM »

me. a lamborghini. hahahahaha

more like a mercedes coupe, one that handles, but needs a tune up  Wink
maybe we need a topic on this...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: