partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 03:17:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116399 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  musicallity - what is it?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: musicallity - what is it?  (Read 6058 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2010, 09:45:51 PM »

well I don't think so - surely a large part is interpreting the music you are dancing to!

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2010, 09:58:50 PM »

I think of myself as the physical portrayal of the song.  Each waltz, foxtrot or what have you is danced according to the song.  If it is a operatic waltz you must dance the emotion of the singer.  You may pull the two and steal from the three etc. to express the feelings of the singer.  If it is a bubbly waltz then you would dance it more in this manner and so forth.  The music tells me the general timing but the singer or musicians give me the feel.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2010, 02:03:01 PM »

Musicality isnt just visual?  Now I am really confused.

No. You are enlightened.

I think of myself as the physical portrayal of the song.  Each waltz, foxtrot or what have you is danced according to the song.  If it is a operatic waltz you must dance the emotion of the singer.  You may pull the two and steal from the three etc. to express the feelings of the singer.  If it is a bubbly waltz then you would dance it more in this manner and so forth.  The music tells me the general timing but the singer or musicians give me the feel.

Another perfect example of why catsmeow believes to be confused, and why musicality can not be taught. Shown yes; taught no.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2010, 05:53:40 PM »

well I don't think so - surely a large part is interpreting the music you are dancing to!

What if rather than just interpreting the whole music so that you can dance, you interpreted what was not there from a musicians point of view? Generally dance music is missing the elements of a musicians ability to make musicality such as changes in tempo/accents/lounds and softs, so then could it be that the dancers musicality is to interpret these things which are not present? Its just an idea that came to me, so not sure what others think.

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2010, 06:09:25 PM »

love it - use the music as just the start and then create ontop of it - find things the composer and not even the players would have dreamt of...

actually, I think that is the essence of dance as an art form.  the real question in my mind is if ballroom really is an art form (shades of alba... Undecided)

TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2010, 01:40:24 AM »

love it - use the music as just the start and then create ontop of it - find things the composer and not even the players would have dreamt of...

actually, I think that is the essence of dance as an art form. 

Have been trying to sell this concept for years!

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2010, 02:37:09 AM »

actually, I think that is the essence of dance as an art form. 

..nice to be on the same page...

The weird thing about ballroom - at least competition international ballroom - is that it frowns on creativity in all but a few areas (rules for the masses at least, not the elite).  These areas are limted to expression, not in steps.  We talk about 'open' but if we (DP and I) make a novel step connection the reaction from coaches is that 'they won't know what you are doing' - meaning that you can do open but only the open that the judges expect to see Shocked  However, all art forms have constraints - if you are painting in oils you can not just add watercolour without stepping out of the medium (er, litterally).  Its just that ballroom is very constrained - I hope not to the point where it looses its status as an art - which has to have some element of creativity.

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2010, 06:00:04 AM »

actually, I think that is the essence of dance as an art form.  the real question in my mind is if ballroom really is an art form (shades of alba... Undecided)

surely if it can be measured then it cant be an art form?

...heads for cover....

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2010, 07:00:31 AM »

...heads for cover....
ultrapurists would say no I think - but defeat themselves since they have to measure something as art to say it can't be measured Cheesy

but art is measured all the time - piano dance photography competitions, price on painting and sculpture.  And surely the reach of a piece of art is its own measure....

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2010, 07:20:23 AM »

...heads for cover....
ultrapurists would say no I think - but defeat themselves since they have to measure something as art to say it can't be measured Cheesy

but art is measured all the time - piano dance photography competitions, price on painting and sculpture.  And surely the reach of a piece of art is its own measure....

"The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing." Oscar Wilde

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2010, 08:50:05 AM »

YAY! so i'm on the right track

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2010, 09:03:18 PM »

I remain confused about musicality as it is described in these posts. As yet the enlightenment eludes me but I am willing to listen further. How much of all this is merely "pretend"?
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2010, 09:12:04 PM »

...I forgot to add that my gracious partner thinks I have no musicality.
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2010, 03:23:31 AM »

..nice to be on the same page...

The weird thing about ballroom - at least competition international ballroom - is that it frowns on creativity in all but a few areas (rules for the masses at least, not the elite). 

And, this is what vexes the living s*** out of me about BR!!!  Angry  Angry  Angry  It is why my main coach told me early in my career to quit competing and become a coach. It is also partially what got me asked out of a major dance council meeting once.  Shocked I was insisting that BR judges focus on tech, but be more about dance, and less about manuals.  Wink

TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2010, 03:28:53 AM »

I remain confused about musicality as it is described in these posts. How much of all this is merely "pretend"?

In short, musicality is how ones interprets the various aspects of the music. There are so many disagreements about whether one's musicality is good/bad, however, unless one is in the skin of another, such an assessment can not be made. Of course, one can say whether or not another's musicality is liked/disliked, but right/wrong... no. Someone else's musicality might be different than yours simply because their interpretation of/meaning given to a piece is different from yours.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 01:30:45 AM by TangoDancer » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: