partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 10:21:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116449 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  musicallity - what is it?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: musicallity - what is it?  (Read 6379 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2010, 05:43:04 AM »

...I forgot to add that my gracious partner thinks I have no musicality.
I think if you read above she said exactly the opposite.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2010, 06:00:28 AM »

I remain confused about musicality as it is described in these posts. As yet the enlightenment eludes me but I am willing to listen further. How much of all this is merely "pretend"?
What do you mean by 'pretend'. 
Pretend is to be something you are not - thus you must have an idea what you are pretending to do or be - what is that?

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2010, 09:03:57 AM »

I remain confused about musicality as it is described in these posts. How much of all this is merely "pretend"?

In short, musicality is how ones interprets the various aspects of the music. There are so many disagreements about whether one's musicality is good/bad, however, unless one is in the skin of another, such an assessment can nto be made. Of course, one can say whether or not another's musicality is liked/disliked, but right/wrong... no. Someone else's musicality might be different than yours simply because their interpretation of/meaning given to a piece is different from yours.

quite!

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2011, 09:41:26 AM »

Reviving this topic, after seeing this amazing demonstration of musicality, in my opinion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OukSJSpQN-g 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9t0lNPIlBA&feature=related

Almost the same routine.

The way he plays with the music and with her is amazing.  Of course, she is amazing as well, relishing and embellishing each moment.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2011, 02:00:29 AM »

yes.. that is fabulous. because it is a show dance do you think they can play with it more.... or it is just the way he is or they were as a partnership... sorry I did not get to see them LIVE Cheesy but thank goodness for youtube

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2011, 06:32:36 AM »

its lovely, like a slow tango

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
Dancerette
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2011, 09:33:33 PM »

Reviving this topic, after seeing this amazing demonstration of musicality, in my opinion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OukSJSpQN-g 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9t0lNPIlBA&feature=related

Almost the same routine.

The way he plays with the music and with her is amazing.  Of course, she is amazing as well, relishing and embellishing each moment.

****siggghhhhh**** Lovely!
drj
Bronze

« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2011, 09:43:01 PM »

<snip>

Almost the same routine.

Oh, I LOVE the first of these, but not the second. Interesting. You're right: it's almost the same routine, but because I know both of these pieces of music well, it seems to me that he is working harder to fit the musicality to the dance -- not the other way around. And the problem for me is: first video is without question a foxtrot. Second, that's a Latin rhythm, and, well, I'm just not a huge fan of crossovering like that. I've seen international rhumba and bolero done to this song, with mixed results. I've never seen anything as musical as this -- but it's still not as musical, to me, as the Bye Bye Blackbird. YMMV.

But oh, to be played with like that... swoon city

ancora imparo
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2012, 02:49:08 PM »

This pertains to playing the violin, but it fits for dancing equally well:
Its kinda scary how most people (read above) define levels by technical skill - ability is how YOU see it.  I hate to break it to you, but ability is in the ear of THE LISTENER - since thats what the violin is mostly for - performing to an audience.

Thus, if I may:
Beginner: notes are recognizable but not a pleasure to listen to.
Intermediate: plays the notes in tune and in the right order and rhythm and does not offend - it may charm family but does not necessarily appeal to a general audience.

Advanced: plays the violin in such a way that an (unrelated) audience would stop to listen and be left enlightened.
[breakdown]
Early advanced: does above with ANY piece (yes, twinkle-twinkle counts, just try it!).
Intermediate advanced: does above with the standard repertoire and chamber music
Elite advanced: does the above with virtually any music.

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2012, 06:07:07 AM »

Its kinda scary how most people (read above) define levels by technical skill - ability is how YOU see it.  I hate to break it to you, but ability is in the ear of THE LISTENER - since thats what the violin is mostly for - performing to an audience.

Thus, if I may:
Intermediate: plays the notes in tune and in the right order and rhythm and does not offend - it may charm family but does not necessarily appeal to a general audience.

Advanced: plays the violin in such a way that an (unrelated) audience would stop to listen and be left enlightened.
[breakdown]
Early advanced: does above with ANY piece (yes, twinkle-twinkle counts, just try it!).
Intermediate advanced: does above with the standard repertoire and chamber music

Elite Bear advnaced; does the above but with a saxophone Wink Grin

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2012, 08:07:55 AM »

Thus, if I may:

[breakdown]

Elite Bear advnaced; does the above but with a saxophone Wink Grin
Sorry - Elite Bear?  Need another clue...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: