partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 03:04:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116399 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Why some of ballroom dancers are so full of themselves??
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Why some of ballroom dancers are so full of themselves??  (Read 2520 times)
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« on: April 08, 2010, 03:27:34 PM »

It's ok to delete if mods think it is too controversial or insulting.

But, why some of ballroom dancers are so full of themselves?

Does ballroom dancing make them or it's just natural character of someone?

I just heard one pro saying he cannot wait to beat some couples in a certain competition and it was kind of unpleasant to hear from the person. For me, it seems that he has no chance to beat couples in the near future, but he thinks he will beat them soon. Gosh! I wish I could be wrong, but it seems that it sounds very obnoxious and ridiculous. It disgusted me.

I could simply ignore whatever he said, but it was difficult for me to hear from a person whom I thought he would never make a such comment.

Am I acting too much? Undecided
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 03:58:03 PM »

well... its unfortunately one side of the 'competition' coin.  After all I suppose we all compete in order to win - which means of course beating someone else.  Although its rather grating in a sense he might be more honest than the dancer who states 'I don't care if I come last' and when they do they mope.  Im afraid I would have to confess to both attitudes at different times. Undecided

Maybe you can identify more specifically what you found so offensive?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 05:02:00 PM »

I guess I'm confused about the topic.  I agree that there are certain dancers that are really full of themselves, but wanting to beat another couple doesn't necessarily indicate that.

I always find that the biggest braggers are big fish in small ponds.  It's quite hilarious when someone thinks they're the greatest dancers ever and think they're the authority on the subject only after winning some local competition or they are the ONLY dancers in the whole city.  I find it humbling to compete in major international competitions and watch us small fish and the self-professed big fish get massacred and knocked out in the same round.  I find it quite amazing that these "big fish" still act like they own the world, even when they got knocked out in the same heat that we did.  It's even funnier when we all get knocked out in the first round.  They still act like they have no reason to be humble or friendly.  I guess it's a "Johnny Bravo"-esque syndrome. 
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 05:03:09 PM »

I don't know if it's really a different question from "why are some people so full of themselves?".
IrenaAlexandria
pre-bronze

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 05:04:03 PM »

It's part of the attitude you need to have when going into competition. I think for some people it translates to their non-dancing life, which is unfortunate. One of my favorite things my coach says is that there are 3 things that are good for dance, but not good for life:

A - Arrogance
B - Boldness
C - Conceit
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 05:11:08 PM »

I see!  That helps.  I just wish things were a little more cordial towards fellow competitors. 
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 05:18:21 PM »

I understand that in the competitive world, you need to be a little bit like that, but you don't need to actually shout out that they shouldn't be in the final and the only reason they placed high because they take lessons from everybody. It's not a couple who are unknown. That couple is  very well known and accomplished in the US.

The reason I was not comfortable to hear is because I did not know the couple personally and did not want to have a wrong idea about the couple.

Also, I am curious that the person has a courage to talk like that in front of the couple. For me, it was not sounded like arrogant, but coward.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 11:11:33 PM by dlgodud » Logged
IrenaAlexandria
pre-bronze

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 05:52:58 PM »

I understand that in the competitive world, you need to be a little bit like that, but you don't need to actually shout out that they shouldn't be in the final and the only reason they placed high because they take lessons from everybody. It's not a couple who are unknown. That couple is a very well known and accomplished in the US.

That extra information changes my take on your situation. I would agree in this case it is completely in poor taste, and that would make me uncomfortable also. I think that's not being full of himself at all, but rather being jealous or refusing to take responsibility for his own placement, or something similar.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 10:53:56 PM »

I know a few of these blow hards and they really are just trying to fool themselves.  The ones I know are the type Some Guy spoke of and they have to brag to basically make excuses for themselves and try to convince themselves and others that they are something that they never will be.  They want to swim in the big pond but know they will never be anything but a guppy.  They put down the people better then themselves to bring themselves up.  A real student of the art of dance becomes more humbler the better they get because the more they learn the more they realize how much they still have to learn.

Of course the above does not apply to all but some blow hards are just blow hards no matter what they are in or where they go.   

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 07:51:19 AM »

I guess I'm confused about the topic.  I agree that there are certain dancers that are really full of themselves, but wanting to beat another couple doesn't necessarily indicate that.

I always find that the biggest braggers are big fish in small ponds.  It's quite hilarious when someone thinks they're the greatest dancers ever and think they're the authority on the subject only after winning some local competition or they are the ONLY dancers in the whole city.  I find it humbling to compete in major international competitions and watch us small fish and the self-professed big fish get massacred and knocked out in the same round.  I find it quite amazing that these "big fish" still act like they own the world, even when they got knocked out in the same heat that we did.  It's even funnier when we all get knocked out in the first round.  They still act like they have no reason to be humble or friendly.  I guess it's a "Johnny Bravo"-esque syndrome. 

We have some younger dancers locally and some masters that think like that. I much prefer to be a small fish in a very big bowel that means I have room to expand and grow and be much better.

But you have to have goals and sometimes it may be to beat someone else who is at a higher level than you...the nature of competition. But off the floor you can be humble....there is a difference

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 08:35:51 AM »

.......I much prefer to be a small fish in a very big bowel .........

that small fish is not going to be doing too well  Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 03:55:05 PM by elisedance » Logged

dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 03:42:48 PM »

I don't mind having ambition and be confident myself. A life without ambition is kinda boring. Yes, I might want to beat someone so badly in a particular competition, but I doubt I would talk badly other people without clear reasons even considering all these politics in dancesport.

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 06:01:09 AM »

.......I much prefer to be a small fish in a very big bowel .........

that small fish is not going to be doing too well  Cheesy

but it does have room to grow if it survives!

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 06:14:49 AM »

the thought of that makes my stomach heave!

Dancerette
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 11:07:36 AM »

We have some younger dancers locally and some masters that think like that. I much prefer to be a small fish in a very big bowel that means I have room to expand and grow and be much better.

But you have to have goals and sometimes it may be to beat someone else who is at a higher level than you...the nature of competition. But off the floor you can be humble....there is a difference

I think elise is teasing you over that typo, it is pretty funny.

Some of the most beautiful dancers in our community are the most humble, until they step on the competition floor. Then, it's all about "I AM the best and the judges will agree". After the comp, they're back to the "wow, I have a lot of work to do" down to earth type.

Conversely, the most execrable dancers I've seen (and I see them, week after week) are constantly telling us how well they dance.

It's a strange world, our dance community.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: