partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 05:40:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Comp 'Stuff' (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Gloves
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Gloves  (Read 2041 times)
Becca
Open Bronze

« on: April 08, 2010, 12:33:20 AM »

Ok. Has anyone ever competed wearing gloves? How did it go? And where to I buy them?

I need black elbow length gloves, and i need them to stay on!  Roll Eyes Maybe I should just buy some regular (non-dance) gloves and put elastics at the top??

Suggestions please?  Kiss  Wink

There is ALWAYS a reason to dance! Smiley
mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 12:54:56 AM »

Hi Becca,  I haven't used them myself but my girlfriend does.  She just bought regular gloves and added extra elastic at the top as you suggested. - mummsie
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 01:36:57 AM »

I have seen a lot of girls using full hand gloves. not sure if I would do that, I would get too sweaty,,,but we have several of our top dancers do so. Elastic at the top is good.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 04:33:46 AM by QPO » Logged

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 03:02:21 AM »

Gloves actually do amazing things to the 'look' of the extensions, and they are not as difficult to handle (from a lead's POV) as one might believe.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 04:34:12 AM »

will look at it for my next down  Tongue

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 01:42:05 PM »

I have sleeves that start from the shoulder and extend to the middle finger - in effect looking like gloves.  I think that look is not uncommon in standard gowns

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Becca
Open Bronze

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 03:46:09 PM »

Thanks y'all! I think i've decided to go with the gloves.... Atlanta Open in little over a month Smiley

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 03:53:31 PM »

Love the look..

MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 07:09:07 PM »

Tell me what you think, Becca.  I love the look of gloves for Latin, but I'm worried about them slipping off myself, and also about making connections much more difficult because my hands would be more slippery.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 10:43:47 PM »

I use gloves in both latin and standard but they are cut off so the palm and fingers are free.  I bought the one pair at you typical costume jewellry store and the elastic is just fine in them.  I also bought a black pair that I use when I go out dancing at a more upscale place and kept the hand part.  I have no troubles dancing in them and my DP has never complained.  I have to say that many men and some women commented on how they give a really sexy look.  I also wore them when I competed in Smooth and I found them critical in that they really made the arm movements stand out.  Of course if your arm movements are not up to par yet they can make that stand out too.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Becca
Open Bronze

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 11:11:12 PM »

MC-  From what im hearing from leaders I talked to about it, gloves are not as slippery as we seem to think they are... maybe you should get some to practice in first, before you do a comp or a show...

I don't think ill cut the fingers off of the gloves... I really like the way they look.. (ANDDD it means i don't have to pay $40 for acrylic nails :Cheesy :Cheesy Wink ) My arm styling is fine so it doesn't bother me if the gloves emphasize that Tongue LOL ( but i would never wear brightly colored shoes for that very same reason... my footwork neeeeds work **blush**)

MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 12:04:34 AM »

LOL, I'm not worried about it being slippery for the lead, I'm worried about it being slippery for ME!  And ditto on the nails--I like the way gloves with fingers look much better than the handless gloves anyway.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 10:13:34 AM »

I wonder if cotton ones would be better than synthetic ones?

Dance Forum
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 10:19:27 AM »

Cotton wouldn't go to well with a dress would it? also wouldn't cotton loose its shape and not actually stick properly to the hand and arm?

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 11:27:04 AM »

Best to dip the arm into an acrylic paint.  That won't slip or come off.  You can throw sparkles at it as it dries.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: