partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 05:48:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116503 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Inventing steps and step sequences
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Inventing steps and step sequences  (Read 698 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: April 07, 2010, 06:18:36 AM »

This comes up from a discussion on the pro-am board on students suggesting choreography.

Have you ever made up your own step or step variation?

I'm not sure its even possible - but its defnitely unusual if not frowned on in competetive ballroom.  We tried it - and pro immediately took it out since 'the judges won't know what you are trying to say'. 

Is there room for creativilty in ballroom?  In other dance forms???

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 08:15:39 AM »

I think you can when you know the syllabus.... but just putting something together because you have seen it on a DVD can be dangerous, we had friends that got D'd because they did steps in a level one QS. I spoke with the coach and I was informed that they make up their own steps. but I feel the coach should have said well you can t do that in the level you want to dance.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 08:31:51 AM »

I'm not sure its even possible - but its defnitely unusual if not frowned on in competetive ballroom.  We tried it - and pro immediately took it out since 'the judges won't know what you are trying to say'. 

It's definitely possible, well at least creating variations on steps or sequences, or even taking steps from other dances and converting it to another rhythm. It would be quite hard to completely create a new step though as there is already so much versatility in the steps available, pretty much any step you made up would be considered a variation on another step.

In competitions the use of invented steps may be frowned upon a little (i'm not even quite sure if it is, well in Australia at least, as we have an invented step in our quickstep) but it is certainty used in a floorshow type scenario, and if its used in a floorshow why then can it not be used in a competition? Much of the professional sequences are variations and inventions by their coaches or even themselves to create a flashy effect or even to just bridge sections of the dance...

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 02:44:11 AM »

This comes up from a discussion on the pro-am board on students suggesting choreography.

Have you ever made up your own step or step variation?

Of course there is room for it. Forgive the assumption, but I believe your pro to be wrong. We (judges) are not so stupid that w ewould not recognize, and accept, a variation "that made sense". Of course, common sense need not be mentioned. If it is a "Closed" cat heat, then.......

Of course, we're talking about the infallable Alex Moore, but the whisk was invented when he fell off balance dancing a hover telemark at a competition. He toppled; crossed the feet and lowered; and, 'whisked' off in a different direction. Not on the syllabus at the time, it was a variation of ... something....

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 10:24:36 PM »

I think there is more room for latin than standard.
But, it should done very carefully because sometimes it is criticized by people that things one might try to are too modern or not latin enough,etc......
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 02:21:49 AM »

I am not confident enough to invent steps or sequences, I think that comes with experience and you are right it may be better in Latin that Standard. But I am sure there are plenty of standard dancers that can put some great steps together, especially at open level... It is way more tickey when you are at the lower levels.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 05:27:15 AM »

It is hazzardous - but I tihnk excellent for your dancing.  We invent step sequences a fair amout - but usually run them past coach before competing with them.

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 10:29:34 AM »

I love "inventing" steps, especially on the run. Those steps to the side, or rocking back and forth to get out of the way of another couple on the dance floor. But complex choreography wise, I don't invent anything.

But then again, what defines a dance step. A step to the left, a step to the right, a step forward or a step back. It's more of a "new" combination of steps rather inventing "new" ones.  Roll Eyes
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 01:54:16 PM »

I love "inventing" steps, especially on the run. Those steps to the side, or rocking back and forth to get out of the way of another couple on the dance floor. But complex choreography wise, I don't invent anything.

But then again, what defines a dance step. A step to the left, a step to the right, a step forward or a step back. It's more of a "new" combination of steps rather inventing "new" ones.  Roll Eyes

Litterally yes, but I think we mean anything partnerdanceish on this topic.

But good point - avoidance steps are an open field for invention Smiley

TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 02:17:39 AM »

Litterally yes, but I think we mean anything partnerdanceish on this topic. But good point - avoidance steps are an open field for invention Smiley

Yes. I, also, believe that there are no such thing as inventing a new step... only discovering new possibilities. But, I also understood that the thread referred to altering/changing an "established" step/pattern or syllabi amalgamation.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: