partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 03:56:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116487 Posts in 1856 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  About us and Welcome
| |-+  Newcomers (Moderators: QPO, cornutt, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Newbie here
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Newbie here  (Read 804 times)
Derekweb
pre-bronze

« on: March 27, 2010, 10:36:45 AM »

Hello.   My on line handle is DererkWeb.

Elise asked my to say hello here.

I have been dancing for about 4 years.   I started dancing to keep DW happy.  Yes, one of those eyes-glazed-over guys in the class clueless about where his feet were!  After a year of leader's beginners hell, I really started to enjoy dancing. Now I just love it! 

Where I reside (Central Jersey), we are lucky to have a wide variety of studios, dancing organizations and universities that hold socials as well as excellent instructors in all styles.   I dance most dances at bronze level.  My goal is to not have to sit out any dance, so I am an intermediate beginner at Waltz, American and Intl Fox, VW, American Tango, QS, Argentine Tango, Samba, Cha, ECS, WCS, Hustle (3 count, 4 count Hustle  is uncool in the East) 

I have no innate talent for dance, except for musicality.  I can pick out the 1, syncopate, double time, cut time, whatever, without thinking about it.   I am a social dancer and my technique only improves by accident!   I spent many years in my youth learning Chinese martial arts the old fashioned way  -technique, technique, technique.  I do not wish to do that again, so I dance for fun.   We have made many good friends through our dancing and continue to do so.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 10:40:17 AM »

WElcome again (hey, thats three times I think Grin).  I think you dance for the very best of reasons - which is its own justification.  I'm actually not sure why I am driven to both dance and compete - sometimes I see it as a failing.  It has, however, driven me to improve my dancing way, way beyond anything I thought possible.  Now I can't imagine life without dance and dance without working on excelling.  It works for me just as social dancing is obviously working for you.  And thats what its really about n'est pas?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 10:11:12 PM »

Welcome, Derek!  Your story about how you got started sounds a lot like mine.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 11:13:03 PM »

Hello and Welcome Derek. You will see me around a lot generally but this week has been very busy with organizing a comp. do enjoy looking at the older threads and continue your love of dancing Smiley

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Derekweb
pre-bronze

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 12:55:34 PM »

Thank you.

Cornutt, your posts on DP were very helpful for my journey into social dancing.   My all time fav was your "why men don't dance" response.  I still have a copy of that post.   Glad I found you here lately. I wondered where you had gone!   
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 03:01:32 PM »

Thank you.

Cornutt, your posts on DP were very helpful for my journey into social dancing.   My all time fav was your "why men don't dance" response.  I still have a copy of that post.   Glad I found you here lately. I wondered where you had gone!   
well, please don't keep it to yourself - we love to share our major assets here Cheesy

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Rugby
reg mods
Gold

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 06:12:16 PM »

Welcome, glad you decided to drop by.  We have quite a cross-section of people, dance styles and levels so I am sure you will find something of interest here.  Even though I am a competitive dancer I love social dancing as well.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
MrsMoose
Bronze

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 09:01:26 AM »

Hi Derek,

Wow, I wish DH would love it more.

Actually I got hooked because I convinced DH to take some lessons. We took a private once a week from a less than great but fun instructor for over a year.

We had to find a new instructor  and I did and that's when i got introudcued to comps and DH left me to it.

It's great to hear that you started it and learned to love it. Maybe there is hope for my DH? although like you he will never compete and will only dance for fun.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: