partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2014, 01:12:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  Pastimes & Chatter...
| | |-+  Just to chat... (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness)
| | | |-+  Movie Revuies - good, bad EEEK!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Movie Revuies - good, bad EEEK!  (Read 2616 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 12:31:38 PM »

Alice...real life....Alice...

wow. 

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 10:55:04 PM »

Avatar!. It was a lot of Hype and not that it was bad I don't think it had great depth. I saw it in three D and it was very interesting as I had not seen a 3D movie before...but the story was full of tokenism ie. why the lead character had to have a disability. also why did we have to see the coffin burning of a brother we never met or knew and more. Also if the planet does not have oxygen you cant have fire.

out of 10 I would have given it a 6

Aha, another person like me.  I am always catching the errors and such too. 

I wasn't overly impressed with this movie either.  It was good but certainly not near as fantasic as they are going on about.  The storyline was totally predictable and the 3D wasn't that fantastic, honestly I've seen better at the IMAX.  You can pretty much tell what was going to happen before it did because it is the same storyline as the last 100 movies.  Let me see, unlikely hero is a reject - check,  he falls in love with the opposing woman - check, she is usually always the tough princess or leaders daughter - check, unlikely hero has to prove himself to her, the tribe and better yet her parents - check, the leaders daughter has a guy in the tribe that is in love with her/ supposed to marry her so hates our hero - check,  he and our hero eventually team up - check, the tribe is threatened by the greedy outsiders - check, there is the token greedy bean counter - check, the tough army commando officer is by the books and does not care about the tribespeople - check, the scientists are for the people and buck the system on the sly - check, and of course since Alien we now have the tough as nails army chick - check.  I can go on but you get the idea.  I liked the message and the special effects were fine but paaaaleeeeese lets get some unpredictablility in the storyline. 

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2010, 04:32:34 AM »

Avatar!. It was a lot of Hype and not that it was bad I don't think it had great depth. I saw it in three D and it was very interesting as I had not seen a 3D movie before...but the story was full of tokenism ie. why the lead character had to have a disability. also why did we have to see the coffin burning of a brother we never met or knew and more. Also if the planet does not have oxygen you cant have fire.

out of 10 I would have given it a 6

Aha, another person like me.  I am always catching the errors and such too. 

I wasn't overly impressed with this movie either.  It was good but certainly not near as fantasic as they are going on about.  The storyline was totally predictable and the 3D wasn't that fantastic, honestly I've seen better at the IMAX.  You can pretty much tell what was going to happen before it did because it is the same storyline as the last 100 movies.  Let me see, unlikely hero is a reject - check,  he falls in love with the opposing woman - check, she is usually always the tough princess or leaders daughter - check, unlikely hero has to prove himself to her, the tribe and better yet her parents - check, the leaders daughter has a guy in the tribe that is in love with her/ supposed to marry her so hates our hero - check,  he and our hero eventually team up - check, the tribe is threatened by the greedy outsiders - check, there is the token greedy bean counter - check, the tough army commando officer is by the books and does not care about the tribespeople - check, the scientists are for the people and buck the system on the sly - check, and of course since Alien we now have the tough as nails army chick - check.  I can go on but you get the idea.  I liked the message and the special effects were fine but paaaaleeeeese lets get some unpredictablility in the storyline. 

but no aliens? or sinister men in black; that's 4/10 then

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2010, 09:04:13 AM »

in this movie..the humans were the aliens  Shocked

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2010, 09:10:48 AM »

in this movie..the humans were the aliens  Shocked

of course!

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2010, 09:17:43 AM »

aren't they always?

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010, 09:45:46 PM »

I saw Clash Of The Titans but again I thought the 3D was not worth the extra money.  When I saw Undersea World at Science North the creatures swim right past you and over you but with Avatar and Clash you didn't get that effect at all.  Clash was even less than Avatar.  Next time I go to see a 3D movie I will wait to ask other people if it was worth it.  If I don't see things flying beside and over me like the Imax ones then forget it.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2010, 05:16:31 AM »

Most realistic 3D I've ever seen was when Spy Kids 2 came out, and I saw it. There was a butterfly on the moon, and it flew at me, and I actually instinctively tried to grab it.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2010, 10:30:44 PM »

That's the kind of 3D I'm talking about.  The movies I speak of above are just pale imitations of 3D in comparrison.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2010, 05:17:43 PM »

Rented 'The Invention of Lying' last night.  Its a great concept and starts pretty well - but pretty soon decends into a corny boy-meets-girl etc.  Still, its worth seeing for the first third or so...

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2010, 04:55:05 AM »

and they wonder why people stay away from the movies.....no-one is prepared to take risks with good scripts, it is all formulated and predictable.... Undecided

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2010, 07:23:04 AM »

rented 'Departures' over the weekend and watched it in two halves. Its a japanese movie with subtitles - but please don't let that put you off.  The story follows a young man and his wife - he lands his dream job playing cello in a symphony orchestra - one performance prior to its disbandment and they move back to his hometown.  There he falls into a rather unusual job which causes the rest of his life to go into turmoil.  I can't say any more without ruining it - you will have to do that yourselves on google Smiley

Anyhow, a fascinating movie that opens your eyes to something that I am sure most of us totally avoid until forced on us. 

Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2010, 08:14:51 AM »

rented 'Departures' over the weekend and watched it in two halves. Its a japanese movie with subtitles - but please don't let that put you off.  The story follows a young man and his wife - he lands his dream job playing cello in a symphony orchestra - one performance prior to its disbandment and they move back to his hometown.  There he falls into a rather unusual job which causes the rest of his life to go into turmoil.  I can't say any more without ruining it - you will have to do that yourselves on google Smiley

Anyhow, a fascinating movie that opens your eyes to something that I am sure most of us totally avoid until forced on us. 

<3

It was a stunning movie. Love the music. I've seen it twice now, I think.
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2010, 03:08:09 PM »

Just watched Inception; a dream within a dream within a dream within a dream; matrix crossed with Se7en; crossed with momento;
gripping but not sure if I've woken up yet and I may only be dreaming that  :-*I'm posting here...

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2010, 11:02:54 PM »

That's the kind of 3D I'm talking about.  The movies I speak of above are just pale imitations of 3D in comparrison.

I learned something about that today that I didn't know (on Cracked, of all places).  A lot of 3-D movies aren't actually shot in 3-D.  In post production, they run it through a computer process that creates crappy simulated 3-D.  The Clash of the Titans 3-D was done this way, and I'm guessing Alice was too.  I heard a promo for a movie this evening that contained the phrase "shot entirely in 3-D".  I'm going to start paying attention to that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: