partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 10:37:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116399 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  Pastimes & Chatter...
| | |-+  Just to chat... (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness)
| | | |-+  Movie Revuies - good, bad EEEK!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Movie Revuies - good, bad EEEK!  (Read 2503 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« on: March 26, 2010, 10:26:09 PM »

hah... i thought this was about the movie... Roll Eyes Grin

the more I think about it the more I did not like it. but that is for another thread.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
samina
Silver

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 08:01:01 AM »

Start another thread on the subject and let's hear it... Wink
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 08:12:21 AM by elisedance » Logged
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 08:11:51 AM »

[Always like to help Smiley]

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 11:10:58 PM »

Avatar!. It was a lot of Hype and not that it was bad I don't think it had great depth. I saw it in three D and it was very interesting as I had not seen a 3D movie before...but the story was full of tokenism ie. why the lead character had to have a disability. also why did we have to see the coffin burning of a brother we never met or knew and more. Also if the planet does not have oxygen you cant have fire.

out of 10 I would have given it a 6

Dance Forum
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 11:37:06 AM »

maybe we can creat a new verb: "Avartarred" to be pretty but largely vacuuous and hyped to the hilt.

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
samina
Silver

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 11:53:39 AM »

I found there to be depth in the story. I guess it's just about perspective. Not everyone will see the same thing. I also saw it on IMAX 3D and found it to be the very opposite of not living up to its hype...it was mind-blowing in its unprecedented use of technology to tell a story with profound truths. The guy being disabled was a part of that, the way I saw it.
samina
Silver

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 11:56:44 AM »

I saw it twice and the image of a coffin burning isn't something that stuck with me as significant or memorable. Interesting how people see different things.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 12:11:44 PM »

I'm probably the only person in NA that didn't see it ... Undecided

Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 06:09:51 PM »

I'm probably the only person in NA that didn't see it ... Undecided

Me too.

I did see Alice in Wonderland, unfortunately in 3D.
Story was great. Loved how Burton altered little bits - he took bits from the original Alice in Wonderland and some from its sequel Alice Through the Looking Glass. The world was enchanting, the red queen was amusing, the white queen was horrible (she just seemed too...condescending), and the fight scene at the end was a little unrealistic.

But hey. I loved it. I'm a sucker for anything with random pretty dresses, nice music, and mythical creatures.

I'm frowning at a lot of reviews I read. They proclaim things like, 'Such a shame to see Burton change it around so much. It should ave been kept simple and sweet.' (Uh, hello? Burton? Simple and sweet? DO not mix) and 'It was nothing like the original Alice. I took my 6 five year old children to see it and was really disappointed.' (Well, yes. It is nothing like the original Alice. It's not meant to be. And I wouldn't take any five year old children to see it. Do you even read the ratings?)

The main downfall was that I saw it in 3D. It was like the 3D was there for the fun of it. Because they could. It was full of bad perspectives that shoved themselves in your face (no, I don't want to focus solely on the foreground and have the background blurry. I'd like to focus on both, thanks). It looked, at times, ludicrous.

So I'll see it again, but not in 3D. That's what I'd recommend everyone else do, too. Unless you have a particular interest in screwing with your perception.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 02:20:14 AM »

I think I must be getting hard to please, I dont think I have been to a movie in ages where I said gee that was great! Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 03:23:12 AM by QPO » Logged

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 02:44:20 AM »

to be honest, I have not been to a movie -  in a cineman - since the mid 90s!

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 03:27:41 AM »

oh well we wont give many good reviews then  Shocked

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 03:34:25 AM »

a year or so ago I was renting a lot of videos but I've even stopped that.  life is just too busy to sit and absorb when I could be doing.  Maybe its an age thing - I've reached a point where I realize that life - and in particular the part where you are really capable physically and mentally - is not endless...

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 11:50:58 AM »

Story was great. Loved how Burton altered little bits - he took bits from the original Alice in Wonderland and some from its sequel Alice Through the Looking Glass. The world was enchanting, the red queen was amusing, the white queen was horrible (she just seemed too...condescending), and the fight scene at the end was a little unrealistic.

I thought what Burton did piecing it together was fine, and the mashup is the sort of thing Carroll would have approved of.  There was one big hole in the plot:  At the beginning of the movie, during the engagement-party scene, Alice recognizes and chases the White Rabbit; that's how she lands back in Wonderland.  But, once she's there, she has no memory of having been there previously.  If that's so, then why did she chase the White Rabbit?  To me, that kind of spoiled the next 20 or so minutes of the movie, where Alice is just kind of stumbling around more or less at random.  She doesn't seem to start to catch up with her surroundings until the "Um from Umbridge" bit. 

I too thought the 3D was awful.  The perspective in most scenes is grossly exaggerated; it has the effect of making everything look like cardboard cutouts in a diorama.  The scene itself has depth, but all of the objects in the scene project as flat.

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 12:16:07 PM »

I thought what Burton did piecing it together was fine, and the mashup is the sort of thing Carroll would have approved of.  There was one big hole in the plot:  At the beginning of the movie, during the engagement-party scene, Alice recognizes and chases the White Rabbit; that's how she lands back in Wonderland.  But, once she's there, she has no memory of having been there previously.  If that's so, then why did she chase the White Rabbit?  To me, that kind of spoiled the next 20 or so minutes of the movie, where Alice is just kind of stumbling around more or less at random.  She doesn't seem to start to catch up with her surroundings until the "Um from Umbridge" bit. 

I too thought the 3D was awful.  The perspective in most scenes is grossly exaggerated; it has the effect of making everything look like cardboard cutouts in a diorama.  The scene itself has depth, but all of the objects in the scene project as flat.

just like real life then Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: