partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 05:55:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Pro-Am (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Make suggestions to you pro about Choreography
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Make suggestions to you pro about Choreography  (Read 3978 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 01:18:50 PM »

Hah. DP does that all the time. It usually results in me madly trying to follow him, doing 'WTF was that?' and then falling over.

well, falling over is new Smiley  OK, maybe not very new - but if you do it with grace and purpose it might be....
specially yelling WTF... Shocked

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 01:39:23 PM »

well I think that you would have to make suggestions that are relative to your level and not everyone knows what steps are allowed. so it can be dangerous if you dont know the correct syllabus.

I am doing open, so I don't think it is really matter.

One thing that I impressed by one of my previous teachers, he creates routines and choreo depending on students body type and heights, etc. He used to tell me that he would not give the same routine that he gave it to one of his students who is much taller and skinny than I am. I thought that made a lot sense to me.
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 01:46:11 PM »

I don't think so - but your teacher may also be someone that has a hard time keeping routines separate.  I know a few pros who try to always use the same routine so that they don't get confused - and they have a point if they have 30 different students and are already doing 5 different levels say!

Ding.  If your pro's comparable to, say, Ben Ermis, with 20 different students to dance with, it would actually be unfair to expect him to remember over 100 different routines (since a lot of students dance more than one style).  How busy your pro is definitely has an effect on whether you can expect your own unique routines or not.

This makes sense, but if you go to competition, how many students they bring with them? I understand that it is really tough for pros to remember all different routines. I am not asking for really unique routines that nobody tries before and it looks so much different from other students of my teacher. What I am asking is that routines that show the character of students. For example some people are very classy and graceful and I don't think it is a great idea to give them routines that are too sexy and look awkward.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 01:50:26 PM by dlgodud » Logged
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 03:11:54 AM »

I really do not mind as long as the student is of the level that he/she can suggest knowledgably. Even when they are not, it can be a great learning experience. Choreo is difficult; much more than just an amalgamtion of what goes together. A good choreo class/course is invaluable to one wanting to do it well.

You don't sound that enthusiastic though - maybe thats just in the written words...  If I taught I think I would be very excited if the students got into choreo on their own - it shows an interest beyond technique and into creativity.  After all, one of the bleak bits of ballroom is that there really is rather little room for original dance moves - we should have a topic on this!!

Didn't intend to come off as not enthusiastic. Simply stating that I understand the pros/cons. To name a few...it help the pro to know what the student is feeling/thinking/desiring, but choreo is difficult, and often the student isn't at a level where they know what is better, and/or can "see" the dance and dance it at the same time. It could give the pro an idea that he/she frankly hadn't thought of, or thought of for that student, but could interupt something else that is connected to/suggested by the movement. Etc.

I really do not mind. Sometimes I accept the ldea/request for change... like today on a cha, and at other times, I simply explain 'why' I do not believe it to be a good idea, and go on.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 06:07:13 AM »

I think the woman's input on choreo is too often ignored.  Its a 'guy thing' - and should not be since we know what allows us to express the most.  My DP is a bit of a curmudgeon on many things - but to his credit he takes my choreo suggestions very seriously now - we solve things together (and then we take them to pro to get them resolved Cheesy). 

pro/am is a place where the woman can learn choreo - I think its the pro's resposibility to not only listen but to actively teach why he/she is putting together those particular steps.  Its wonderful training for a possible future amateur partnership.

dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2010, 11:49:25 PM »

I think that a pro has to encourage a student's participation in Choreography if a student is able to do it.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2010, 05:34:50 AM »

Actually I did it this week with our NV. Our coach was suggesting some arm movements and I said no,. I dont like those. I have see others do it and I want my routine to be unique. He was happy with that and did something different.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2010, 10:28:41 AM »

Actually I did it this week with our NV. Our coach was suggesting some arm movements and I said no,. I dont like those. I have see others do it and I want my routine to be unique. He was happy with that and did something different.

Very nice Q! I am glad you did and your coach was happy as well. I think it could one good way encourage a student to participate more than just a teacher give information.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 02:56:59 AM »

I think as you advance through your dancing you gather the courage to suggest these things....I dont think I could have done it a year ago.

Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2010, 08:32:37 PM »

I think often people are too scared to say "No" to their coach. Especially new ones! But by the time you've been with the same coach for a number of years, they don't feel like a coach anymore and you can say what ever to them.  Roll Eyes

BBQ at my place on the weekend?  Grin
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2010, 08:55:01 PM »

I think often people are too scared to say "No" to their coach. Especially new ones! But by the time you've been with the same coach for a number of years, they don't feel like a coach anymore and you can say what ever to them.  Roll Eyes

we need a topic...

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2010, 03:34:46 AM »

yum as long as you are cooking  Shocked

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2010, 02:20:31 PM »

I think he was asking his coach Q...

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2010, 11:38:06 PM »

I think he was asking his coach Q...

I knew that...I was inviting myself as well  Roll Eyes

Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2010, 10:22:04 AM »

The other day I told my coach the choreography she gave us was hideous. She said it's only hideous cause I suck at it. Touche!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: