partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 02:11:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Pro-Am (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Make suggestions to you pro about Choreography
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Make suggestions to you pro about Choreography  (Read 3979 times)
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« on: March 26, 2010, 02:00:00 PM »

I would like to hear if you guys ever suggested or mentioned anything about your routines or choreography that you wanted to try or change it. And if you did, how did your pro respond?

I like my pro(my first teacher) and he is excellent, but his routines sometimes are not my taste.
So I made suggestions a few times about choreography and he gladly accepted my suggestions.

I probably do this more, but I don't want to offend my pro even though he wouldn't say anything because he is such a nice guy.

Also, I've heard some people say that it's just best to follow your pro's instruction especially you want to compete.

What do you think?

MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 02:37:52 PM »

I absolutely have, but only for showdances.  I'm not at a level competitively where I can really change the routine.

For showdances, though, I can and do make suggestions for what I'd like to see in the choreography.  I think that stems from my being the one to pick the music and having a vision in my head of what I want the routine to be.  Thankfully I've always had pros who have respected that and tried to work with what I wanted.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 02:40:03 PM »

I often do - but either a step sequence that I have a hard time with (though I'm sometimes bone headed becaues I want to conquer it) or because there's a step that I really like.  I've found both pros love input - it makes things more interesting for them - and neither were ever offended.
ee

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 10:41:18 PM »

I would offer to suggest changes if I knew more...as we are only in the middle of our dancing journey, I am not familiar  with all the options in a routine. but if I felt it could be done better I have a good relationship with both our Pros I would feel comfortable about making suggestions

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 11:24:29 AM »

Sometimes I think that I watch too many videos and think myself that I could do some moves and steps that I might not be able to execute yet. Like the one on my avatar.
But, surely I know my limit and I want to push myself further. My teacher is a person who plays kind of safe and give all similar routines to his students. But, I am a person who refuses to do the same that other people do.
Am I asking too much?? Roll Eyes
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 03:16:33 PM »

I don't think so - but your teacher may also be someone that has a hard time keeping routines separate.  I know a few pros who try to always use the same routine so that they don't get confused - and they have a point if they have 30 different students and are already doing 5 different levels say!

TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 02:35:48 AM »

I really do not mind as long as the student is of the level that he/she can suggest knowledgably. Even when they are not, it can be a great learning experience. Choreo is difficult; much more than just an amalgamtion of what goes together. A good choreo class/course is invaluable to one wanting to do it well.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 05:24:32 AM »

well I think that you would have to make suggestions that are relative to your level and not everyone knows what steps are allowed. so it can be dangerous if you dont know the correct syllabus.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 06:14:34 AM »

I really do not mind as long as the student is of the level that he/she can suggest knowledgably. Even when they are not, it can be a great learning experience. Choreo is difficult; much more than just an amalgamtion of what goes together. A good choreo class/course is invaluable to one wanting to do it well.

You don't sound that enthusiastic though - maybe thats just in the written words...  If I taught I think I would be very excited if the students got into choreo on their own - it shows an interest beyond technique and into creativity.  After all, one of the bleak bits of ballroom is that there really is rather little room for original dance moves - we should have a topic on this!!

MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 08:10:07 AM »

I don't think so - but your teacher may also be someone that has a hard time keeping routines separate.  I know a few pros who try to always use the same routine so that they don't get confused - and they have a point if they have 30 different students and are already doing 5 different levels say!

Ding.  If your pro's comparable to, say, Ben Ermis, with 20 different students to dance with, it would actually be unfair to expect him to remember over 100 different routines (since a lot of students dance more than one style).  How busy your pro is definitely has an effect on whether you can expect your own unique routines or not.
ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 08:38:02 AM »

well I think that you would have to make suggestions that are relative to your level and not everyone knows what steps are allowed. so it can be dangerous if you dont know the correct syllabus.

In Australia this is only applicable to level 1 though, which i would say if you are in this level you wouldn't be in a position to suggest steps or sequences as you just don't have the knowledge about such things as yet. It does not matter about the restricted syllabus more that fact that the student is not advanced enough and has not had enough choreography to understand how a good routine works, and what works for the couple themselves...

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 09:06:54 AM »

I sort of disagree there Zac. If you are in level 1, sure you may not know what step works better, but you can say something along the lines of 'Hey, I don't really like doing that step there. Is there an alternative' or "I'm having a lot of trouble with this step. Can we do something else?'
I don't think the ideal teacher-student relationship would be offended by that. The coach can either go 'Sure, try this.' or 'No, that's the best option.'

There's nothing personal involved. It's not I don't like your choreography. It's the choreography isn't really compatible with me. It shouldn't get personal. And sure, in the relative scheme of things, level 1 dancers aren't experienced enough to make a reasonable evaluation of the routine's effectiveness, but they are able to make a judgement on whether something feels comfortable and smooth.

For example, if a coach made me a cha cha routine with three back locks, I would ask to get it changed. Nothing personal, but I hate going backwards for any extended period of time. I hate it with a passion. A very passionate passion.
It's not so bad in standard. I have the man's connection to help me know where I am. But in latin, there could be something behind me I have no idea of; someone could randomly come and step on my feet, etc.. It's illogical, but it's long ingrained. I don't feel comfortable with it, and thus feel that I wouldn't be able to dance it confidently enough to make it look good.
ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 09:19:48 AM »

I sort of disagree there Zac. If you are in level 1, sure you may not know what step works better, but you can say something along the lines of 'Hey, I don't really like doing that step there. Is there an alternative' or "I'm having a lot of trouble with this step. Can we do something else?'

But a good coach should know that either the step does not suit your dancing, or you are not yet comfortable with it, which may be why he/she is actually giving you the step in the first place. Level 1 is all about learning about technique and beginning to get comfortable with certain awkward steps and sequences, so it would be logical then for a coach to give couples steps such as this, which they may find uncomfortable yet will in the end improve their dancing. I think there is a big aspect of trust, especially in the lower levels, that needs to be given to coaches in terms of choreography...

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 09:28:24 AM »

When I want something specific in our routine, I just take the pro and try to lead her into it.
Most of the times her responses were "WTF was that". LOL

We're on good terms.  Tongue
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 09:48:35 AM »

Hah. DP does that all the time. It usually results in me madly trying to follow him, doing 'WTF was that?' and then falling over.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: