partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 05:35:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Owning a dance studio for profit
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Owning a dance studio for profit  (Read 1299 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 12:52:55 PM »

Wow. I was really tired and not too diplomatic when I typed that post, last night.   Grin  I hope I'm more tactful today.

My point about the staffing was/is that, in the franchise studios I've attended, new teachers are hired off the street and trained to become beginning ballroom instructors.  They make very low salaries -- close to minimum wage -- plus commission on sales of packages. The bulk of the gross income goes to the studio, to defray operating expenses, etc.   The new teachers,who may have had a couple of months training, take on beginner students.

We could have a long,long discussion about whether this is fair to the students. I've had this discussion many, many times.  Grin

But what I've found is that, in forums like this one, many people think that beginner teachers do students a disservice.  Regardless of how you feel about that issue, the bottom line is that, with the pricing model that franchises have (that I know of) I think it would be difficult to afford to pay big name competitive dancers who have name recognition.

The successful studios I know that have such teachers are generally independent studios who hire experienced teachers as independent contractors, rent teachers floor space to give lessons, and take a cut for themselves.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 01:09:16 PM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 04:53:14 PM »

Very tough - it certainly helps if you have won a championship or two - you have cred.  But savy studios cater to what the local need is - and one successful model is the dance studio/nightclub where you offer both teaching and a social life.  Some people are naturally good at this but its very individual.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 06:52:28 PM »

Yes.  The social dance studio is very big in the US -- bigger than anywhere in the world, unless my impression is all wrong.   The three biggest independent dance studios in this area all focus on social dance, even though they all offer serious competitive dance as an option.  They offer a social membership -- sort of like a gym membership -- where you pay so many dollars a month in exchange for access to a certain number of classes plus social dances.  Those are very, very popular packages.   Private lessons are completely separate.  If I had to take a guess, I would guess that social dance is their bread and butter.

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 08:22:41 PM »

soical students make money, here is is between $65-120 Ph depending on the level of coaching for a private lesson, A Social class you ask between 12-15.00 if you have 40 people come for a social classs, you can make more in an hour, than doing 8 hours in a day at $60.00.

Competitive dancing does not make them a lot of money, just regular clients. Cheesy

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 09:58:15 PM »

Many  of the local studios don't even charge by the class.    They charge a monthly membership, so they make their profit whether students show up or not. 

Pretty smart.Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 12:23:13 AM »

yes wont work here. people will not commit to block classes. Arthur Murray may get them first time but they often dont go back unless they are very keen

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2013, 07:27:12 AM »

You've got the economics Q.  But the teachers get more of a kick out of teaching competetive couples, vicarious competitions and all that...

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 09:16:41 AM »

Yes.... teaching a couple with potential must be very satisfying

Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 06:59:42 PM »

You've got the economics Q.  But the teachers get more of a kick out of teaching competetive couples, vicarious competitions and all that...

So maybe the trick is to have some of each.  If I were running a studio, I would definitely push for the monthly memberships. Guaranteed income.  One of the studios here offers a significant discount if you prepay your membership for a year.  Even better, when you consider 1)the timevalueofmoney and 2) the distinct likelihood that people will pay for classes they never take.

Some people will take a billion classes and get more than their money'w worth.  I  bet most won't, averaged over the year.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2013, 08:57:35 PM »

The nice thing about group classes is that it doesn't really cost more to have more students Wink - so it doesn't matter if people 'take advantage'

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2013, 09:06:02 PM »

That. And it doesn't pay less if people get lazy and no-show.

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: