partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 04:35:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116399 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Last lesson I learned...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 107 Print
Author Topic: Last lesson I learned...  (Read 65202 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2009, 09:59:53 AM »

While we're waiting for DSV's input i might share. Last lesson coach noticed that i was 'bobbing' so to speak throughout my foxtrot, rising too early on the heel toe to toe through 3 steps/feather steps, coach explained it as follows, the higher you rise the less forward momentum you achieve, so by keeping my rise at a lower rate my forward movement would increase. I made my own interpretation of this and thought i would share it here. Each QQS pattern gives you a grounding point at the S where by balance/posture ect. are able to be brought back into realignment, this means that each S of the pattern also allows you to use almost as a spring allowing you to move through the heel toe to toe of a 3 step rather than bobbing, another way of putting it is using your supporting leg of the slow to push off giving you the forward momentum needed for a healthy rise but still having plenty of movement making sure you get the heel toe.

Zac

nice description - but you may want to also add a knee softening there too - that will extend and smooth the action even more.  IMO once you have the pushing from the supporting leg mastered you are well on the way to really cracking FT...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2009, 11:10:03 AM »

Yea, think more forward and up instead of just up!
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 02:18:31 AM »

all good advice that we will try to work on in our lessons also.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2009, 06:13:23 AM »

today i learnt how important the head is to balance, movement and the general look of a dance

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2009, 06:23:43 AM »

today i learnt how important the head is to balance, movement and the general look of a dance

yes - this came up again in my lesson too - but the importance of establishing body balance and placing the head appropriately, not the other way round. 

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2009, 06:25:07 AM »

worked for hour and a half on the new waltz routine with lots of technique now coming in.  Most important is getting your body weight onto your standing foot.  This came up over and over - and when I do we move so much better. 

ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2009, 06:34:43 AM »

Most important is getting your body weight onto your standing foot.
Personally i believe that once this is constantly achieved your technical ability dramatically increases, by using your supporting leg it allows you to have complete control over your movement from which everything stems

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2009, 06:38:40 AM »

yes - my coach is trying get me to take this to another level - not only having your weight on your standing foot but also being in balance on it. 

balance came up recently and it was raised that it comes in many forms depending on your action but the overall point is that by being in balance you are ready to do anything that may come up - even an unexpected reverse in direction.  I think I'm in balance and then he shows me that no, I'm not at all!

ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2009, 06:47:42 AM »

excuse my ignorance, but by having your weight ont the supporting leg does this not give you balance?

Zac

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2009, 07:16:11 AM »

its certainly a good start - but you can have your weight on a leg but if your partner was removed you would still fall over Smiley  thats what I was doing...

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 10:07:02 AM »

last lesson we worked on being in your own ballance and to do that we had to work on movement - turns out the two are inseparable.  The movement aspect is so interesting and so obvious in retrospect that i have started a new topic on it.  I hope to expand as I learn more.

awesome lesson - again, I am a different dancer after an hour of work.  I wonder why I had not learned this all before - but the answer probably is that I did but was not ready for it.  Now I feel I am - and that is a fantastic sensation....

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2009, 12:41:42 PM »

he had you scrubbing the floor? Roll Eyes

MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2009, 01:39:22 PM »

Last night we did a bunch with connection, especially in rumba and cha-cha.  Talked about all the different types of connection in Latin--he wants it much stronger all around.  I've had a tendency to avoid a strong connection up to this point for fear of being a "heavy" follow, but pro is telling me that's what we need for comps.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2009, 12:24:03 AM »

Last lesson I learnt that leaving my weight behind = backside on the floor
ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2009, 06:07:13 AM »

had a fall did we swingwaltz?

Zac

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 107 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: