partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 07:01:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Music (Moderators: Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  What turns you on or off in a DJ?
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: What turns you on or off in a DJ?  (Read 3182 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 08:56:23 PM »

PDO 1-99

oh, you spotted that did you Roll Eyes

Grin

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 05:27:51 AM »

What turns you on or off in a DJ

1. Playing music too loudly.    Shocked
2. Playing music with complete disregard to what the dancers wish.    Angry

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 06:31:44 AM »

along those lines...
playing music for dances according to a formula (we just had the tango that means its a mambo next) - and worse, even when noone is dancing that style...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 10:55:26 AM »

along those lines...
playing music for dances according to a formula (we just had the tango that means its a mambo next) - and worse, even when noone is dancing that style...

Yep, when you hear the third merengue of the night, and only two couples danced to the previous one... Related: when the DJ plays something in an obscure style, and then exhorts people to get on the floor and dance.
Dancerette
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2010, 12:55:40 PM »

What I do like...a varied program of music, some old favourites, some new cool songs, something for everybody with the occasional edgy tune thrown in with audience feedback invited as to whether it should be repeated.

What I don't enjoy at a social dance...

DJ's who cater to one group; e.g. country music all darn night for the two steppers.

DJs who play music that reflects their mood...especially when they're depressed.

DJs who think regulars are "family"; just because I attend the dance every Friday night, does not mean I want to sing Happy Birthday/Happy Anniversay/Bon Voyage to anybody in the crowd.  I do not feel compelled to join hands in a circle and sing O Canada on the Civic Holiday weekend. Nor do I want to listen to somebody practice their audition song/guitar recital, etc. for an upcoming theatre try out. I don't want to listen to the DJ say a half hour long speech either; I paid my admission fee to dance so just play the darn music.

Oh, jeez, I sound a tad crabby; I just know I'm gonna be one of those old ladies on the porch yelling at the kids to get off my lawn.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2010, 03:10:55 AM »

DJ's who cater to one group; e.g. country music all darn night for the two steppers.
DJs who play music that reflects their mood...especially when they're depressed.
DJs who think regulars are "family"; just because I attend the dance every Friday night, does not mean I want to sing Happy Birthday/Happy Anniversay/Bon Voyage to anybody in the crowd.  I do not feel compelled to join hands in a circle and sing O Canada on the Civic Holiday weekend. Nor do I want to listen to somebody practice their audition song/guitar recital, etc. for an upcoming theatre try out. I don't want to listen to the DJ say a half hour long speech either; I paid my admission fee to dance so just play the darn music.

OMG!!  Do we live in the same city because we obviouly have the same DJ.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: